Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paulaz_gw

What causes the splitting?

PaulaZ
9 years ago

I bought what I thought were healthy Baby Toes but 2 days later this is what I see. I repotted the poor thing in a clay pot with a mix of C&S soil/perlite/greensand. I did water it the next day very sparingly. it is sitting in west window. Help is appreciated as I am a novice and need it!

Comments (12)

• KittieKAT
    9 years ago

ISN'T it funny how WE ALL think we've found the best of the bunch AND finally when we calm down get home AND inspect EVERY imperfection drives us maaaaad!!! Wish i knew the answer to this question i honestly think it's from too much water that they expand beyond THERE capacity of their fleshy little bodies and tear apart, but that's just a guess. Hope u find the answer you're looking for. Goodluck

• KittieKAT
    9 years ago

ISN'T it funny how WE ALL think we've found the best of the bunch AND finally when we calm down get home AND inspect EVERY imperfection drives us maaaaad!!! Wish i knew the answer to this question i honestly think it's from too much water that they expand beyond THERE capacity of their fleshy little bodies and tear apart, but that's just a guess. Hope u find the answer you're looking for. Goodluck

• PaulaZ
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Still looking for expert advice about my TOES! A couple have withered at soil line while I see new growth on a couple. BUT I have another one that split?????

• spapa
    9 years ago

I've never grown baby toes, but I will say that on some plants splitting is a sign of overwatering. Withering at the soil line also could be a sign of root rot which comes from overwatering. About how often are you watering right now? Baby toes need very little water, even less than other types of succulents.

• eaglerider
    9 years ago

Yep, overwatering

• Sundewd
    9 years ago

These shouldn't be watered until they shrivel and begin to collapse. Most of these mesembs split when given too much water.

• PaulaZ
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all.... this is my 2nd attempt at them. Both bought at Lowes and soaking wet when I got them. First one didn't take long to just rot at soil line. So bought this one. Only $2.98.... so decided a 2d chance was warranted. I went this morning to AgWay Farm Supply and got chicken grit. Mixed 1/3 C&S soil/1/3 grit & 1/3 perlite.Gently unpotted the baby and spritzed the roots clean. let them dry out for 2 hrs and repotted. Did NOT water and placed out on patio out of direct sun. THIS IS MY FINAL ATTEMPT AT PEDIATRIC PODIATRY!

• jojosplants
    9 years ago

Hope they take off for you and do well!!
    These are one type of plants I just will not buy from a Big Box store. If you really like them and want to try again, find a nursery, greenhouse, or mail order maybe. They just don't get proper care at a place like lowes.

• PaulaZ
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you JoJo.... I have never gotten any plants via mail order. So it is a better choice than buying what I see? Hmmm do nurseries guarantee quality on arrival? I don't trust ths postal service..LOL

• jojosplants
    9 years ago

I honestly don't know what kind of arrival guarantee they may have. I have ordered many cactus and succulents with good results, but not this type of plant yet. There is a place here in my town that specializes in them, I will get you the link a little later and you can take a look / email/ call them with questions.

I just know with places like lowe's they are in death trap soil, and watered/ cared for carelessly.

Sounds like you got yours squared away and headed in the right direction though.

• DavidL.ca
    9 years ago

Agreed, although sometimes RONA has some nice choice of succulents, but very selected stores. The only place with decent succulent and seems to be in good shape and okay-soil is IKEA.

• jojosplants
    9 years ago

Here's the link. I am planning to get by there this fall. They are only 20 min. from my house and that could get expensive. lol..

Another very reputable mail order source is Miles to go.

Here is a link that might be useful: Living stones nursery