Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blackcatloki

Zone 6 cacti?

BlackCatLoki
10 years ago

Hi I'm living in West Virginia and just getting started gardening :) (I'm kind of a late bloomer lol) Ive been planting an all cacti / succulent garden out front and I was wondering if anyone knew off hand some pretty cold hardy cacti that would survive winters here? I'm in zone 6 if that helps.
Thanks!!!

Comments (28)

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    10 years ago

Hens & chicks, some crassulas, some euphorbias (E. myrsinites - this one self-seeds very easily; E. polychroma), sedums (s.rupestre 'Angelina'; s.ogon; s.sieboldii - there is good choice in hardy sedums, tall & short); yucca, hardy opuntias...here photos of some mentioned:
    {{gwi:46956}}
    {{gwi:94274}}
    {{gwi:46955}}
    {{gwi:94272}}
    {{gwi:94268}}
    {{gwi:94291}}
    {{gwi:94265}}

This post was edited by rina_ on Fri, Jun 7, 13 at 0:37

• BlackCatLoki
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you rina! Ill see about ordering some of these!

• 0nametaken0
    10 years ago

wow beautiful!!! Id love to get clipping of each of those.

I have hens and chicks that I will be leaving outside year round. Im zone 5. Im trying to get my hands on yucca, there are two species that I think are hardy to my zone.

For planting outside, do you have a raised bed? more pebbles/better draining soil?

• chrisware
    10 years ago

Where in WV are you?
    I'm near Buckhannon and I grow all kinds of hardy cacti and plenty of cuttings I could share or different kinds.
    here's a couple pics from part of my bed. Some of mine are huge!

Just gve me a yell!
    Chris
    Chrishware@aol.com

• chrisware
    10 years ago

another pic with agave

• chrisware
    10 years ago

I also have pieces which are about 4 foot long of Opunita imbricata that are ready to root. They were broken off in the last big snow storm from hurricane Sandy. One of my opuntias makes pads larger than a dinner plate.
    I don't rememeber how many different kinds I have actually without getting out my book.

This post was edited by chrisware on Fri, Jun 7, 13 at 14:54

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

Cold hardy cactus Nursery and Intermountain Cactus. Coldhardy has better pictures and Intermountain list things by Zone. They also have a great book for your situation. "Growing Winter Hardy Cactus in Cold/Wet Climates" by John Spain. He lives and gardens in Connecticut.

Great job Chris!

Here is a link that might be useful: Intermountain cactus

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    10 years ago

NameTaken

Not sure if your questions were directed to me - if so, that is my front yard with big rocks along the front edge, the front yard behind the rocks at same level all the way to the house. Few feet (between rocks & the road) that are at street level are planted with low-growing berberis (to keep cats/dogs from leaving unwanted gifts...)
    Yucca (no ID) grew from a root section/cutting I got 2yrs ago.There is just regular top soil & cedar mulch there, but I don't water. They get whatever rain there is.
    I live in Toronto, Ont.
    Rina

This post was edited by rina_ on Sat, Jun 8, 13 at 23:26

• 0nametaken0
    10 years ago

Waaaaaat?!?!? I live in TO as well. Ive never seen cacti/succ garden/scape here so I thought it was not possible. Dang!

I asked the soil question because I wanted to know how you keep it dry even when we get heavy rains.

• 123Greta
    10 years ago

Beautiful, Rina and Chris!!

• BlackCatLoki
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm living near Charleston WV :) I just planted some yucca that were given to me by my grandpa, his mom planted the ones these sprouted from when he was a little kid! And I have some different kinds of hens and chicks, I love how easy to care for they are lol I also planted a few Yellow Rose of Texas my Mom gave me this year. The rest of my garden is full of plants in pots that will have to be brought in when the weather turns but they look nice until then.

wantonamara I will look into those, thank you!
    Chris you have a beautiful garden! I had no idea so many pretty cacti could live in our climate!

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

I forgot. Also, Leo Chance wrote "Cacti and Succulents for a cold climate".This one has just come out and he has 274 species listed that will grow in the cold.

Here is a link that might be useful: Amazon book review

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    10 years ago

NameTaken

It's not totally succulent garden, there is all kind of stuff there...some volunteers - like columbine, there is also stachys & garden phlox; I should really take these out, one day when I find time to do it!
    E. myrsinites grows like a Medusa, self-seeds very easily. I just noticed that Yuccas have flower stalks - see photo.

BTW, where in TO are you? I am in Etobicoke.

This post was edited by rina_ on Sun, Jun 9, 13 at 11:02

• 0nametaken0
    10 years ago

You're just showing off :) Im located in North York, right beside the Ontario Science Centre.

Thats great, I was searching online for yuccas hardy to our zone (currently eyeing Yucca Linearifolia).

You're garden looks awsome, could you provide full view pics? Im really happy to see gardens like this. atm I live in an apartment and my balcony is sort of full. I have all my suculents, semps and a small sago palm on one side. The other side we plant tomatoes, chillies and all sort of vegies. It ends up being a jungle. I was just looking for yuccas and other succulents that I can leave outside and forget about it (moving inside is a problem because my indoor plants have taken too much space).

This post was edited by NameTaken on Sun, Jun 9, 13 at 11:14

• chloeasha
    10 years ago

I have opuntia humifusa if you're interested in that for postage. It's hardy to zone 4/5.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    10 years ago

NT

Not showing off...hehe. Just a photos of some hardy succulents.
    Would like to see photo of your balcony garden, sounds great!

Don't have better shot than this (part of front garden) - with typical perennials mixed with succulents:

This post was edited by rina_ on Mon, Jun 10, 13 at 19:21

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    10 years ago

NT
    sorry, double post.

This post was edited by rina_ on Mon, Jun 10, 13 at 19:23

• chrisware
    10 years ago

These are some old pics from last year. I need to get some more taken. pics just don't do colors justice In this one is Mesa Melon, Mese Peach, and Nambe, I believe

• chrisware
    10 years ago

lemons and oranges.
    starts out huge yellow and turns bright orange

• chrisware
    10 years ago

another...

• chrisware
    10 years ago

BlackCatLoki,
    Sometime this summer you need to come up our way and bring a big box. We're about a 125 mile trip.
    I wish I would have know a couple weeks ago, because I was in Charleston at a technology conference. I could have loaded you up!
    You're even a little milder in Charleston than I am here, so I know everything would flourish for ya.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

chriss, Very nice orange Bloooms. I am interested . I will send an email.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

oops, double post.

This post was edited by wantonamara on Tue, Jun 11, 13 at 15:23

• juanital
    10 years ago

Have been seeing a lot of succulents beddings and pots. I want to make a bed or two, three, wasn't sure where to purchase or what was hardy where I live-NE OH-in the tristate area of PA-WV & OH.

Very useful info, Thank you!

• ron5461
    8 years ago

I live near charleston wv wanting to start an out doors cactus bed trying to find what cactus I can grow in my area any help will be appreciated

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Ron,

Do you mean in addition to what's already been mentioned? Nothing comes to mind except for MAYBE a few agaves, but what's talked about above easily encompasses more than 1500 different plant species, hybrids and cultivars. How big of a bed are you talking about?

• ron5461
    8 years ago

I'm planing on app a 20x30 area

• bonrc221
    8 years ago

This Echinocereus has survived multiple winters in zone 6 through rain, snow, and freezing rain.

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals