Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Zone 6 cacti?

Posted by BlackCatLoki 6 WV (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 6, 13 at 17:29

Hi I'm living in West Virginia and just getting started gardening :) (I'm kind of a late bloomer lol) Ive been planting an all cacti / succulent garden out front and I was wondering if anyone knew off hand some pretty cold hardy cacti that would survive winters here? I'm in zone 6 if that helps.
Thanks!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Zone 6 cacti?

Hens & chicks, some crassulas, some euphorbias (E. myrsinites - this one self-seeds very easily; E. polychroma), sedums (s.rupestre 'Angelina'; s.ogon; s.sieboldii - there is good choice in hardy sedums, tall & short); yucca, hardy opuntias...here photos of some mentioned:
 photo 100_0039.jpg
 photo 100_0042.jpg
 photo 100_0044.jpg
 photo 100_0045.jpg
 photo 100_0047.jpg
 photo 100_0056.jpg
 photo 100_0060.jpg

This post was edited by rina_ on Fri, Jun 7, 13 at 0:37

o

Thank you rina! Ill see about ordering some of these!

o

wow beautiful!!! Id love to get clipping of each of those.

I have hens and chicks that I will be leaving outside year round. Im zone 5. Im trying to get my hands on yucca, there are two species that I think are hardy to my zone.

For planting outside, do you have a raised bed? more pebbles/better draining soil?

o

Where in WV are you?
I'm near Buckhannon and I grow all kinds of hardy cacti and plenty of cuttings I could share or different kinds.
here's a couple pics from part of my bed. Some of mine are huge!

Just gve me a yell!
Chris
Chrishware@aol.com

o

another pic with agave

o

I also have pieces which are about 4 foot long of Opunita imbricata that are ready to root. They were broken off in the last big snow storm from hurricane Sandy. One of my opuntias makes pads larger than a dinner plate.
I don't rememeber how many different kinds I have actually without getting out my book.

This post was edited by chrisware on Fri, Jun 7, 13 at 14:54

o

Cold hardy cactus Nursery and Intermountain Cactus. Coldhardy has better pictures and Intermountain list things by Zone. They also have a great book for your situation. "Growing Winter Hardy Cactus in Cold/Wet Climates" by John Spain. He lives and gardens in Connecticut.

Great job Chris!

Here is a link that might be useful: Intermountain cactus

o

NameTaken

Not sure if your questions were directed to me - if so, that is my front yard with big rocks along the front edge, the front yard behind the rocks at same level all the way to the house. Few feet (between rocks & the road) that are at street level are planted with low-growing berberis (to keep cats/dogs from leaving unwanted gifts...)
Yucca (no ID) grew from a root section/cutting I got 2yrs ago.There is just regular top soil & cedar mulch there, but I don't water. They get whatever rain there is.
I live in Toronto, Ont.
Rina

This post was edited by rina_ on Sat, Jun 8, 13 at 23:26

o

Waaaaaat?!?!? I live in TO as well. Ive never seen cacti/succ garden/scape here so I thought it was not possible. Dang!

I asked the soil question because I wanted to know how you keep it dry even when we get heavy rains.

o

Beautiful, Rina and Chris!!

o

I'm living near Charleston WV :) I just planted some yucca that were given to me by my grandpa, his mom planted the ones these sprouted from when he was a little kid! And I have some different kinds of hens and chicks, I love how easy to care for they are lol I also planted a few Yellow Rose of Texas my Mom gave me this year. The rest of my garden is full of plants in pots that will have to be brought in when the weather turns but they look nice until then.

wantonamara I will look into those, thank you!
Chris you have a beautiful garden! I had no idea so many pretty cacti could live in our climate!

o

I forgot. Also, Leo Chance wrote "Cacti and Succulents for a cold climate".This one has just come out and he has 274 species listed that will grow in the cold.

Here is a link that might be useful: Amazon book review

o

NameTaken

It's not totally succulent garden, there is all kind of stuff there...some volunteers - like columbine, there is also stachys & garden phlox; I should really take these out, one day when I find time to do it!
E. myrsinites grows like a Medusa, self-seeds very easily. I just noticed that Yuccas have flower stalks - see photo.

BTW, where in TO are you? I am in Etobicoke.

This post was edited by rina_ on Sun, Jun 9, 13 at 11:02

o

You're just showing off :) Im located in North York, right beside the Ontario Science Centre.

Thats great, I was searching online for yuccas hardy to our zone (currently eyeing Yucca Linearifolia).

You're garden looks awsome, could you provide full view pics? Im really happy to see gardens like this. atm I live in an apartment and my balcony is sort of full. I have all my suculents, semps and a small sago palm on one side. The other side we plant tomatoes, chillies and all sort of vegies. It ends up being a jungle. I was just looking for yuccas and other succulents that I can leave outside and forget about it (moving inside is a problem because my indoor plants have taken too much space).

This post was edited by NameTaken on Sun, Jun 9, 13 at 11:14

o

I have opuntia humifusa if you're interested in that for postage. It's hardy to zone 4/5.

o

• Posted by rina_ 6a Ont (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 10, 13 at 19:16

NT

Not showing off...hehe. Just a photos of some hardy succulents.
Would like to see photo of your balcony garden, sounds great!

Don't have better shot than this (part of front garden) - with typical perennials mixed with succulents:

This post was edited by rina_ on Mon, Jun 10, 13 at 19:21

o

• Posted by rina_ 6a Ont (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 10, 13 at 19:17

NT
sorry, double post.

This post was edited by rina_ on Mon, Jun 10, 13 at 19:23

o

These are some old pics from last year. I need to get some more taken. pics just don't do colors justice In this one is Mesa Melon, Mese Peach, and Nambe, I believe

o

lemons and oranges.
starts out huge yellow and turns bright orange

o

another...

o

BlackCatLoki,
Sometime this summer you need to come up our way and bring a big box. We're about a 125 mile trip.
I wish I would have know a couple weeks ago, because I was in Charleston at a technology conference. I could have loaded you up!
You're even a little milder in Charleston than I am here, so I know everything would flourish for ya.

o

chriss, Very nice orange Bloooms. I am interested . I will send an email.

o

oops, double post.

This post was edited by wantonamara on Tue, Jun 11, 13 at 15:23

o

Have been seeing a lot of succulents beddings and pots. I want to make a bed or two, three, wasn't sure where to purchase or what was hardy where I live-NE OH-in the tristate area of PA-WV & OH.

Very useful info, Thank you!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here