Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jojosplants

Soft and fuzzy succulents~~ Bought to be a gift.

jojosplants
9 years ago

Wednesday is my son's birthday.. and he loves the plants as much as I.. so for now I got him a few from Lowe's and soon we will hit the big nursery's or mail order for some more... Oh.. and one jumped in the cart for mommy ;-/ ... lol...

{{gwi:570014}}

Tradescantia somaliensis
"Kittens Ear"

{{gwi:570015}}

Kalanchoe beharensis
"Fang"

{{gwi:570016}}

Kalanchoe tomentosa
"Panda plant"

{{gwi:570017}}

Kalanchoe tomentosa
"Chocolate Soldier"

{{gwi:570018}}

And for me.. lol.. well it had a flower, what can i say!? lol

Delosperma sutherlandii
'mimicry plant'
and best I can tell from searching, it is a type of ice plant
and that was the first thing I thought of when I saw the flower. The leaves are very different that what my mom had when we were kids, but the flower reminds me of hers.

{{gwi:570019}}

Comments (21)

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

Look for Echeveria harmsii also. Sweet plant.

• jojosplants
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ah! Thank you for the reminder! The red would be an awesome contrast! He's had soldier and panda before and loved them! So I was happy to find them! We lost most of our collection winter of 2012 and are starting over.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

Nice fuzzies :-)
    I grow the K. tomentosa, as well.

Josh

• jojosplants
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Josh! Good to see you :-). How big are yours? I've read they can get up to 3' or more. Your more than welcome to add pics of yours here! :-). Jace will be 17! :-/

• KittieKAT
    9 years ago

My panda plant looks so funny i can't tell if it's trying to flower or JUST likes growing like THIS, even with full Sun.

• KittieKAT
    9 years ago

My panda plant looks so funny i can't tell if it's trying to flower or JUST likes growing like THIS, even with full Sun.

{{!gwi}}

• hijole
    9 years ago

KittieKat, OMG...are those your finger nails? Boy they look as dangerous as some of my golden barrel cactus. Very nice, Meow... Now I see where you got your handle idea from.

Greg

9 years ago

JoJo, I've kept mine dwarfed in a small container of very gritty mix, minimal water, and even less fertilizer. But, YES, they sure do get big, especially when flowering! They respond well to pruning, though, so they can be managed for the Winter window-sill ;-) I'll get a pic tomorrow.

Josh

• jojosplants
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I forgot about the winter window-sill. lol. Will look forward to your picture. :-)

• KittieKAT
    9 years ago

Haha yes those are my real finger nails, the Handle is really cause my name is KAT (not short for anything) And i get called kittie Kat ALOT! The nails do help with digging small holes to put my plants into, and if a cacti gets a little fresh with ME i dont mind poking them back LOL. J/p ;-)

This post was edited by KittieKAT on Mon, Jun 9, 14 at 12:59

9 years ago

Jojo, sorry for the blurry pic! The sun just wasn't co-operating ;-)

Josh

• jojosplants
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow!
    Josh, that is beautiful!! It looks like a rose! I will show this to Jace later and let him decide how he'd like to grow them. I think there is 4 in the pot.

His has a few long leaves, does yours grow some longer than others and you pluck them out, or is his just stretching for sun from being crammed in with others at Lowe's . lol..

I understand all too well about getting pics in the sun! :-)
    Thank you for sharing this!
    JoJo

9 years ago

Oh yeah, with more fertilizer and shade (and during the Winter), this one shoots out longer leaves. In the sun, the rosettes really tighten up. This is a single cutting that has branched nicely.

Josh

• jojosplants
    Original Author
    9 years ago

A cutting! It's come a long way! So pretty! I love the side branching too!

OK. Now I'm thinking I will need to get me one next trip out. lol...

Hmmm... Maybe he can start a good cutting! We'll have to take a real close look at them once they are out of the pot.

It's in the house at the moment , hard to hide a plant around here. lol..
    so that in combo with cramped at lowe's I'm not surprised.

I rarely fertilize my cactus and succulents, so too much wont be a problem. lol... We will be able to let them winter outside too.

how gritty is gritty? Bark in it?

When you do feed , what are you using on these.? FP or MG ?

• jojosplants
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hitch hikers . Lol. I was tidying up the plants after watering and found these

• KittieKAT
    9 years ago

Greenman, nice panda plant, i didn't know they grew on stems like THAT i guess i ALWAYS figured they JUST stayed ground huggers, looks beautiful like a fuzzy rose!
    I don't know WHY MINE likes to grow the way it does with that little stalk like thing growing outta the middle (??) *Shrugs* maybe it's a flower stalk? Idk..

I really like the kitten ear plant above i gotta get ONE of THOSE sooo cute!

• jojosplants
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Score!

I found Echeveria harmsii, at least pretty sure I did. It has one of the famous generic labels, from Home Depot. Echaveria Hybrids Asstd. :-/ And is getting ready to bloom. I could not find a pot for all his plants though. Hoping to make trip across town next week to a few places. This stupid town does not have anything shallow ! Ugh!

{{gwi:570020}}

{{gwi:570021}}

• KittieKAT
    9 years ago

Oooh sooo that's WHAT THAT plant is, been trying to prop a few clippings from the store i found in the ground the plants themselves were really streached out looking for sun they didn't look ANYTHING like THAT above. Hope they take root d like some more fuzzy plants

• jojosplants
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The smaller Fang is not happy and has two yucky leaves now. Grrrrr.... Can't wait to get them out of this peat garbage!! Today is his birthday, so counting down. lol..

Josh,
    Does your gritty have bark or just gritty? for the panda?

9 years ago

Hey!
    That mix has barely any bark at all....maybe just a trace of some finely screened fir. It's mostly Turface, Scoria, and Perlite.

Josh

• jojosplants
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Josh!
    Thanks!
    I use a tiny amount of bark in a lot of my succulent mixes, so that's why I was wondering if you did too.
    I have turface, pumice, perlite, and some very nice fir. So we'll throw together a mix .