Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
young_gardener123

Aloe Vera Transplant Issues

Ok, so I got this Aloe Vera plant from some store quite a few years ago. Two years back, I seperated the plant and it's pups into two different pots. The plant made more pups, and the pups made more pups, so I just seperated them again and now I have around fifteen plants. When I seperated them, they seemed to be doing fine although there were more roots than soil in the pots. I seperated them the best I could, but I am fairly sure a lot of plants lost a good portion of their roots. I planted the plants in seperated pots, and put the rest in random spaces in the garden when I ran out of pots and potting soil. Since then, all of the plants have been turning yellow with purplish-brown leaf tips and bases. I placed the pots outside, and it has been on-and-off thunder storming with temperatures in the high eighties and low nineties for the past two days. It is also supposed to thunderstorm all week. These plants were previously indoor plants. I'm not sure what I did wrong exactly, but I'm assuming the water and high temps may have shocked the plants. Is there anything I can do to save them?
I have included a picture of the plants below:

Comments (16)

• young_gardener123
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is a close-up of one of the sicker plants:

• young_gardener123
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And here is another photo of an interesting-looking pup from one of the larger plants:

• Sans2014
    9 years ago

Were the plants sick looking before you sent them outside? I would suggest a less sunny spot, sheltered from the rain if possible. They are most likely in shock made worse by the abrupt change in their enviroment. Most if not all should recover if this is the case.
    Fred

• KittieKAT
    9 years ago

The mix you're using looks a bit heavy and really wet, i use %50 cacti&succulent soil (sifting all the heavy stuff like sticks and bark and stuff outta IT) then ad %50 perlite for drainage. I don't kno what YOU got in there but it's looking a little heavy...maybe try adding MORE perlite to your mix to allow air to get asset the Roots and drain water BETTER, it could be that the plants are over watered and suffocating cause it's to heavy. If I'm wrong I'm sure someone else will chime in. Goodluck hun

• young_gardener123
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks! I don't exactly know what perlite is, but I have the plants in some miracle grow vegetable and flower potting mix. Should I mix in sand? Also, should I move some back inside?

• young_gardener123
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Also, yeah, the plants were looking a bit sickly before, but this is much worse.

• spapa
    9 years ago

Yikes! That mix will be very incompatible with succulents; I would suggest at least using Miracle Gro succulent and cactus mix with your perlite. Miracle Gro makes some of the most water-rententive mixes, even the one they label succulent and cactus mix. I would imagine one for flowers and vegetables would be about as dense as it gets. I would definitely advise moving away from that if you can, you will have a lot more luck with your plants!

• brodyjames_gw
    9 years ago

Hi YG,
    Get the aloes out of that wet mix, rinse them off and allow to dry in a shady spot. Home Depot or Lowes will carry perlite, just ask for it. Mix the perlite at a 50/50 ratio with a cactus/succulent mix. Do NOT add sand and do NOT put rocks in the bottom of the pot. Make sure your pots have drainage holes in them, and are no more than 2 inches larger than the root mass of the plant. When the aloes have dried, go ahead and pot them up, but do not water them or move them into the sun. After about 5 days, go ahead and water them thoroughly (until you see water draining out the holes) and then wait until they are dry before you water them again. A finger/pencil/skewer in the soil will tell you if the soil is still wet, like a toothpick in a cake. A week after that, move them into brighter shade. Keep this routine going until they are sitting in full sun. Aloes in full sun will usually acquire a tan (a brownish reddish color). If you do not like this change in color, then move the plants into the brightest shade you have and they will revert to green.

Good luck!

Nancy

• KittieKAT
    9 years ago

Perlite are THOSE little white lumps of Material your medium, you can buy MG cacti and succulent(And Palm) soil and a bag of MG perlite (be careful when mixing its dusty, where a mask or something so YOU don't breath IT IN) then sift the heavy meterial outta the MG cacti,succulent and Palm soil - i use a 4inch plastic pot with drainage holes put the measured mix in the plastic pot and cover IT with a plastic cup and shake it -shake it-shake it into a bag until i start to see all the dirt without the sticks in the plastic bag I'm using, then i dump out the sticks and crap from the pot i was using to sift it...and repeat until i have enough soil to repot (usually 3cups C,S&Palm soil and 2cups perlite for a 3-6inch pot)

You can find ALL these materials at home depot OR Lowe's in the Gardening aisle.

That is the best thing YOU can do, YOUR soil is way to heavy AND in the end will be detrimental to your plants over all health. You should water only when the soil o is completely dry, succulents are rarely on a regular scedual for watering.

Goodluck hunnie

• jojosplants
    9 years ago

Please do follow the advice given here, as soon as possible!
    They need out of that wet mix! Allowed to dry and a better mix put together for them.

brodyjames gave an excellent list of what all needs to be done to save these.

• young_gardener123
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all for the advice! :)
    I just took the Aloe's out of the pots and rinsed them off. Can I leave them outside in a shady spot? If I do, they will probably get rained on, so I am not sure if that is alright. Also, I see a lot of new root growth on the plants, so I hope this is an indicator that they will survive.

Here is a picture of the rinsed Aloe's:

• brodyjames_gw
    9 years ago

I'd keep them out of the rain, so that when you repot them, they are dry. Please don't worry about your plants...they are much tougher than they look. You could leave them unpotted for a couple of weeks and they would still look good! :)

Nancy

• young_gardener123
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Phew! I might not be able to get them potted for a week or so, so this is a great relief! There aren't any Home Depots or Lowes near me so I will probably try to find the stuff at Walmart, since they seem to have everything. In case they don't have the perlite and cacti potting mix or it is too expensive, is there anything I can do as a second best?
    Also, is this what you mean by a tan? :)
    Chloe

• brodyjames_gw
    9 years ago

Hi Chloe,

Yep, your aloe has a tan!
    Walmart should carry perlite. One bag of perlite and one bag of C&S mix should not cost more than $8-$9 total.

Nancy

• young_gardener123
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh, I didn't realize perlite and cactus/succulent soil was that inexpensive! I figured it would cost more since so many people seem to be planting succulents these days.This is great! I am hoping to pick up all of the stuff today and will keep you updated on here if you'd like.
    Thanks so much!
    Chloe

• brodyjames_gw
    9 years ago

Chloe,

It's only expensive when you have LOTS of plants! ;)

Nancy