paulaz_gw

Can you name this plant?

PaulaZ
9 years ago

I think it is a gasteria but was told by grower it was a rare aloe. HELP

Comments (16)

• deep___roots
    9 years ago

I can. I name him Fred (or alternatively, Frederica).
    Very nice plant. I like me some gasteria. Not real concerned with exact botanicals these days. The beauty is before you.

Doesn't look like an aloe to me to be honest. Gasteria have strap leaves, just like the picture.

• rosemariero
    9 years ago

Yes, Gasteria...possibly 'Little Warty'...with a tan (what part of zone 6 are you in?).

• KittieKAT
    9 years ago

I'd saylittle wortty too, deff with a tan! Mine's still green even thoe it gets full Sun

- now that i got home AND saw the pic bigger then a thumb Nail, I'll take back my original guess... looks more aloe, haw or gast...just don't have a clue which or what kind it is lol

This post was edited by KittieKAT on Sat, Jun 14, 14 at 18:51

• Sundewd
    9 years ago

I have one smaller that looks like that. It's an Aloe Descoingsii.

• PaulaZ
    Original Author
    9 years ago

rosemariero- I am near Pittsburgh PA and the plant was bought from a local grower. I found it in her greenhouse amongst MANY MANY tropicals/succulents and cacti. It was a treasure hunt
    Sundewd- okay now you have me confused again...aloe or gasteria wortty. OH MY!

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

It's not Aloe desconingsii, which has triangulate leaves with pointed tips. The tips of the leaves of your plant are rounded, the leaves are strap-like, indicating Gasteria.

• PaulaZ
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you hoovb, I just researched aloe desconingsii and noticed that myself. I was coming here to post and read your post. So definitely must conclude GASTERIA Little Warty.. THANK YOU ALL!

• Sundewd
    9 years ago

Those leaves look a bit pointed... But no, its not what I have. Just went and looked at it. It's too big and has a different crowing patern. Definitely looks more like my Gasteria but I don't have that exact one. Closest I have is a Maculata which has larger, thicker leaves and is somehwat bumpy.

It's a nice one though. :D

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    9 years ago

Middle top row is 'Little Warty'. My order from SMG Succlents. They had some on sale. Nice plants at a low price. How nice is that.
    Gasteraloe is crosses with Aloe and Gaseria which can turn out with anything different.
    Stush

• PaulaZ
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Stush.. Fantastic plants and ON SALE makes them better.
    The bottom left pot .. the smallest plant resembles mine. I have never bought plants thru catalogs.... only at stores etc when I see them. Does Pitts. have a Succulent Society or Club?
    BTW...any idea what this plant is? I thought it was Haworthia???

• pirate_girl
    9 years ago

It IS a Haworthia, a common one whose name I forget, H. fasciata maybe or zebrina, nice little one.

• PaulaZ
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you pirate girl.... I was wondering about the lighter green color, Someone said aloe

• rosemariero
    9 years ago

This last plant is a variegated Haworthia fasciata. I have one as well. =)

• pirate_girl
    9 years ago

Sorry, pls. excuse double post. I don't know how that happened -- hum....

This post was edited by pirate_girl on Sat, Jun 14, 14 at 22:29

• angellilly
    9 years ago

H. fasciata?i thought it looked like a pale H. attenuata...oh well,live and learn eh?as for the Ops plant,i have one also and it blooms typical Gasteria flowers....i think its a G. carinata of some sorts,great plant though Paula!!!!!

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    9 years ago

Paula,
    As far as I know, we are all alone. Nothing as I can find. I know a few here but are on the East side of Pittsburgh, I'm on the West side. Way too much traffic and confusion on the East side. Still waiting for our botanical garden to open in Settlers' Cabin Park. I go to Youngstown, Ohio to Fellows Gardens whenever I get a chance. It is one of the nicest parks to visit I have ever been.
    That bottom left is Gasteria 'Frosty'. The smallest one is different than the other two. Was only $2.50.