Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mexican ghost plant rooting ?

Posted by 100mphtortoise none (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 28, 12 at 18:44

Just got a stem of a mexican ghost plant and don't how to start it, do I just put it in some soil and expect it to just start rooting its self. Any help is thankful.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mexican ghost plant rooting ?

If you're talking about Graptopetalum paraguayense (which isn't, as you note, not from Paraguay) put it slightly in porous soil and mist daily - it should root in a month or less, although hot weather (+90F) inhibits the speed at which this happens.

o

Heres a pic.

o

Heres a pic.

o

Heres a pic.

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 29, 12 at 12:18

yes that's what it is, Graptopetalum paraguayense. I stick cuttings in dry soil in the shade, mist the plant as cactusmcharris says, and check for roots and then when there are roots start watering. Takes a few weeks. This plant is easy to get going and beautiful. Enjoy!

o

In the spring one can take almost all the leaves off and root them and pretty soon , one has a whole bank of them. They are easy untill it gets too hot and dry. They do need some suplimental water then AND some afternoon shade when it gets 100+

o

Ok I will try that thanks for helping,

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here