Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andrew_scott77

My First adenium

Andrew Scott
13 years ago

Here is a picture of the adenium that I bought in Erie at Potratz. It is labeled as adenium 'Ice Pink' desert rose. I checked it out online after ibought it to see what the flowers looked like and I was not impressed. I bought it because they had no other adenium varieties for sale. This one cost only a couple dollars and had two flower clusters. After seeing the pictures of the blooms, I figured I would at least be able to see if it was hard to care for. Today the first bud opened, and I have to say that the picture of the flower online didn't do it any justice. I was pleased with it once it opened. If anyone here can give me advice on the culture of this plant, I would greatly appreciate it.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:571917}}

Comments (7)

• rjj1
    13 years ago

I'm much too lazy to spend any amount of time this morning to give you decent advice. BUT I will post a link that should answer most of your questions. Chris probably has the best general advice that I've seen on the web.

If you have specific questions after reading his link, I might not be as lazy later. :-)

randy

Here is a link that might be useful: Adenium Care

• beachplant
    13 years ago

Very pretty! I grow mine in full sun on a deck. I water them more frequently just because they do dry out really fast there. They are in a fairly coarse fast draining mix. They get fed with a blooming fertilizer in spring and when in bloom, I dilute it to about 1/2 strength or less and they get some fish emulsion when the rest of the garden does. I repot them in the spring lifting about 1/3 of the underground growth out, so they sit higher in the pots developing the caudex.
    Warning! They are addictive! Congratulations on your new purchase.
    Tally HO!

• Andrew Scott
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi eberybody,
    My main concern is mealybugs. I was told that they can become infested pretty easily. Besides that, it will be hands on learning with this. Rjj1, thanks for the link.
    Andrew

• rjj1
    13 years ago

I would guess mealy bugs could become a problem if you ignored them long enough and allowed one or two to become an infestation. Mealy bugs occasionally pop up on my plants but are easily discouraged. Every once in a while I have to whip out a q-tip dipped in alcohol and give the offender a little love.

As with any species of plant you should be vigilant and inspect them on a regular basis. Nipping little problems when they are still little makes for a safer and happier ecosystem.

randy

• beachplant
    13 years ago

This isn't one of the plants I've had problems with mealy bugs on. They prefer my expensive hibiscus!
    Tally HO!

• Andrew Scott
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Guys,
    Sorry it took me so long to respond to this post.
    Hello Randy,
    I have to agree that that is the best advice with any plant and beginners of any plant should really be strict about checking and rechecking there plants for any bugs. I was just a little concerned because I do everything in my power to make sure I don't get any infestations. I have a very large gardenia that is a magnet for spider mites. This year I am going to keep it under lights in my basement. I am hoping by isolating it and spraying with insecticidal sopa, I can keep it bug free.
    Hi Beachplant,
    I hope I don't have to worry about bug problems. From what I have heard, it sounds like just keeping the adenium happy and blooming will be hard enough. I have heard nothing more than how difficult it is to keep these happy because of there high heat requirement and also the high humidity it needs. I also can feel your pain in regards to the hibiscus. I actually stopped growing them in my house because I don't have enough space to give it the sun it needs in the winter. I have devoted my only window space to hoya and now my jades. It seemed that no matter what I tried, the hibiscus I had would get infested and I had some really nice ones. Hibiscus are one of my favorite tropical flowers but until I can get a house, I will not even attempt to grow them any more.
    Thank you to evryone here for all the help you have given me on this plant. As of today, I lost 4 flower buds last night and I think the last few are going to drop very soon. I am going to put it outside as soon as the flower drops. This summer has been pretty warm and humid so far so I am hoping that it will help my adenium. I was wondering if I put it into a terrarium if that would help with the humidity it needs? I guess I learned a big lesson with this plant. Just because it was available to buy in my favorite greenhouse, doesn't mean that it was a good candidate for me!
    Andrew

• Andrew Scott
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Okay, I wanted to give an update on my adenium. I put it outdoors in full sun. I did do one thing that I soon regretted. I did not adjust it gradually and i lost almost every leaf but in no time, it flushed out with tons of growth and now instead of having only two clusters of blooms, I have three!! I also did some research and found someone on another forum that grows these in my zone and I was told to treat them the same as plumeria, allowing them to go completely dormant until spring and then resume care and it should rebloom fine. I will post pictures of the flowers once they open.
    Andrew