Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hijole

Clearing the way for a new setting:

hijole
9 years ago

So I'm removing my home security system by removing my cactus from in front of my bedroom window.
Going with a mixture of succulents and aloe.

Greg

Comments (26)

• hijole
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So heres a picture of the beginning of my new look, now I have to figure out what all to plant, I see some echeverias, aeoniums and some plants that will be compatable with the watering needs.

I'll post the developments. The making of a succulent garden.

Greg

• aztcqn
    9 years ago

This will be an inspiring thread! Look forward to the development.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

Aloe ferox could be fairly imposing to a burglar once it got larger.

• bob61
    9 years ago

You have a beautiful front yard already. I'm sure anything you you redo will be just as nice as what you take out. It sure would be fun to grow Cactus and Succulents in the yard like you. Keep us up to date on the changes.

Bob

• hijole
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Busy all weekend but here I go... I'm adding a variety of aloes & succulents, Out of the pots & into the ground they go, this spot gets early morning sun then some bright light to keep them happy, well will see..

Thanks you to Aztcqn , wantonamara & Bob for your comments and complements they gave me the motivation to keep going... I'll post a few more in a NEW YORK minuet. Ok.. California second.

Greg

• susancarol
    9 years ago

Lucky you, in California. Love your home and your plantings.

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    9 years ago

Greg,
    Nice, Are you using your stock, by cuttings and propagating? Or are you buying all new stuff? Trading with friends?
    I see a lot I could take off your hands, ha ha .
    Stush

• hijole
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok my second is up, and thanks also susancarol, & my ole buddy Stush.
    Susan carol, where abouts are you in zone 7 ?

Stush this is a little bit of this & a little bit of that and a couple new ones too that my wife picked out :) now I can use that as those are yours..

So this is what I did in my yard today, I wish I would of been able to post this on that site "post" But I started this one a few seconds before so I had to commit to it even though I like that title better.

I think I'll put up a couple more pics because I didn't do all that work for NOTHING... Lol.. Plus I told my wife I'd have a surprise for her when she got home.

Life is good when this is part of the "Honey Do List"
    Ok, sure babe, I'll get it done... (but I love doing this.) shhh... I can't let let her hear that.

Ok, gots to go I have more HONEY DO's ..

Greg

• hijole
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Just a pix this round.

Greg

• hijole
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Clic, clic ...

Ok that's it, Greg

• hijole
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok, one more

Greg

• Misselle
    9 years ago

It looks amazing Greg :-)

• bob61
    9 years ago

You have accomplished and more what you set out to do. It looks great already. Not to mention what it will look like in a year or so. My wife also keeps an eye on the front yard but isn't to concerned about the back which is where I spend most of my time. Do you also garden in your back yard?
    One more question. What is the big pinkish colored aloe in the pictures? Looks like one of the armored ones.

Bob

• jojosplants
    9 years ago

Wow!!
    It all looks wonderful!
    I often thought of cactus outside the bedroom windows, but it could be a problem if we need out! lol

I have a corner of the yard I'd like to make a cactus/succulent patch, but am not sure . We do have hard freezes.

Do you get them where you are Greg??
    JoJo

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

Sweet front garden! Looks perfect with the style of your home.

• kathi_mdgd
    9 years ago

It looks very good Greg,but i also liked the before picture as well.

I havn't been on here for awhile,been so busy,and unfortunately not all the business has been in the gardens,some not all.I've been weeding out my sewing/craft room,and trying to downsize and get rid of a lot of stuff i no longer do.It's a heck of a lot of work,i tell ya.

My echinopsis are getting ready to bloom for about the 3rd or 4th time this year.Don't remember them blooming that much in past years.

Your yard is looking great,keep up the good work.
    kathi

• hijole
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok I've been a little busy around the yard these last couple of days really having a relaxing time. Thank you all for the complements.

Thanks Misselle, gardening is such a nice way to relax especially when its your own garden.

Bob, thank you, I was going to post a picture of the back yard, its full of potted plants and plant in the ground, its really a holding tank for plants that are recuperating and some that have been moved from the from yard or patio because its already too crowed.

Jojo, freezing in California where I live is a rare occasion it gets around 28ð at the coldest where I live thank god.. And so far I haven't lost a plant to the cold weather :)
    Cactus outside the bedroom window could pose a problem if I need to jump out the window fortunately I've never had to do that yet.

Hoovb, thanks, I've always loved the style too and enjoy the look with the cacti & succulents also.

Kathi, busy, busy, busy... Thanks for the comp, yeah I just needed to do something different so I switched it up lol... I've often said that I move plants around like the furniture, at least with the cacti & succulents they easier because I used to loose alot of plants by moving & moving & transplanting so many times, not so with my new hobbie.

Greg

• hijole
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Bob, I forgot about your question about the aloe, I really don't know the name but its that one with all the ostrich looking pock marks.

And heres a quick pix of the back yard, or my jungle. This is my "Man Cave"

Greg

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

Man Cave? Where's the TV? ;^)

• hijole
    Original Author
    9 years ago

hoovb,LOL... :) Who has time to watch TV hahaha...

Greg

• hijole
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Cleared another area today and moved the furniture @ I mean the plants :)

Greg

• bob61
    9 years ago

I had a feeling your back yard was another little paradise for plants. I would have a good time walking through your front and back yards for sure. I did see a couple of empty spots here and there around your place. I guess those were walkways though.

Bob

• hijole
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Heres an update from June 20th just about 7 weeks ago a month and 3 weeks. Things are really taking off with this hot weather, good thing they don't get full sun all day long. Part of the day they are in the early morning sun then at high noon they are in bright light. But for the most part they are looking very happy.

Greg

• LilBit7765
    9 years ago

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE YOUR GARDEN!!!!! You have such a variety!!! How long did it take you to acquire ALL those succulents and cactus ?! Very beautiful!!

• hijole
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks lilbit, omg.. I think I've been into this cacti & succulent collecting for over 25 years now, i didn't even realize i was addicted until I found this site the garden web page then BAM! it bit me one day.. thinking. . I'm hooked!
    Hook, line & sinker I guess the hook is the succulents the line is the soil & the sinker is the pots where we place the plants .

Greg

• LilBit7765
    9 years ago

Lol don't worry Greg I'm hooked too!!
    -Christy