Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cmoores1

Jade

Cmoores1
9 years ago

Hi there,
I have a jade that I inherited from my mom in October. It was rather sad looking, very stemy , with lots of branches growing downward and drooping, I believe it's because lack of light.

Two weeks ago I brought it outside and hard pruned it, and gave it a root prune as well. I might add that it was very top heavy, falling over easily, also very old, 15-20 years.

I left my newly pruned jade out in the sun, where it gets sun from sunrise until about 4 in the afternoon.

Just wondering when I should start seeing new growth, also how much should I water it until it comes back?

Comments (32)

• Joe1980
    9 years ago

Your jade would have been better served if you put it in a more free draining, porous mix when you did the repot. You still could if you wanted. Your jade has no leaves, so direct sun isn't benefiting it right now, as no leaves equals no photosynthesis. You also can withhold water until new growth starts, which can take a couple weeks or more. That all depends on how much energy the plant had when you cut it back. If it was struggling, then it's gonna be a while. Also, cutting back and root pruning all at once really takes a lot out of a plant. You are best off to do one at a time, let it recover, then do the other. You live and learn though.

Joe

• Cmoores1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks alot for the quick response. I did a bit of reading and was fairly confident that doing both at the same time would be ok. But I don't have experience with them, so I believed what I read. Hopefully it will be ok. I haven't watered it, and it is under the overhang of my roof, so it will only get rained on when the rain is coming at an angle.

As for potting mix, this is similar to what it was in before, but what would be best? I just don't really know the difference if what I should be looking for.

Thanks again

• Joe1980
    9 years ago

Jades appreciate a mix that doesn't stay too wet, and provides for good aeration. Search this forum with the term "gritty mix" and you will get a plethora of information on it. Basically, you want to avoid mixes that contain peat moss, which includes just about all of the commercial bagged mixes you can buy. Peat moss decomposes in a matter of months, leaving your jade roots with a very thick, mushy mud to live in. The mix will work for a season, and then you'll see plant decline again. Can you successfully grow in bagged soil? Yes, but you're not providing it with the mix it needs to thrive.

Your jade will survive the work you've done, because they are very forgiving and tough. That doesn't mean it was the best thing, but it'll make it. I like to repot and root prune in mid to late spring, let it recover for 3 or 4 weeks, then proceed with branch and leaf pruning, or chopping. You can reverse the order too, which for a major chop, might actually be better, because removing all foliage means less roots are needed, and you can downsize your pot. I personally love a nice thick trunk in a relatively small pot.

Joe

• sam268
    9 years ago

With in 2 weeks the new growth will come out and the leaves will be much healthier. My jades are in full sun outside. I performed a hard prune on my jades 1 month ago like yours. Dont need to worry about sunburn.
    Just bring your jade in when there is rain if your pot doesn't have a drain hole.
    I am in Ontario too and they will do very well outdoor till October.

• Cmoores1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks alot,
    Just wondering what kind of soil you use? I don't want to make my own gritty mix.

• Cmoores1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So I went out and bought fafard cactus and succulent mix. Hopefully this will suffice, as I repotted today.

• User
    9 years ago

I haven't personally used that mix, but I'd strongly suggest adding 30-50% perlite to pumice to it, even tho' it's C&S mix. That's a frequent recommendation here for those not wanting to go gritty.

• Cmoores1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

OK, will try. Is this still OK to do even though I'm starting to get growth back again?

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    9 years ago

Yes, it is. Just don't water for a few days after repotting. If it's nicely porous, you should be able to keep it outside where it will benefit from natural factors.

• Cmoores1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

OK, may sound dumb, but I'm supposed to add a pumice perlite mix?

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

Yes, lots of Perlite and Pumice (and be sure to rinse the dust from both). 50 - 70 percent Perlite or Pumice is a good start. While Jades will tolerate a heavier more moisture-retentive mix, the inclusion of Perlite and/or Pumice will reduce the chance of root-rot over the Winter especially, and allow you to water with a more confident hand :-)

Josh

9 years ago

Cool hand with the jades, eh.

• Cmoores1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

OK thanks, I will do that, I have found a perlite at the local nursery.

And yes I'm very new with the jade.

• sam268
    9 years ago

take a look at my jade pictures and how it will look in about 2 months time if you keep it outside in full sun.
    good luck and keep us updated with your progress

Here is a link that might be useful: Jade pictures from hard pruning / full sun

• Cmoores1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So I have some growth happening. The third trunk was looking gross so I cut it down. I will see how they look once it's filled in more, I want bare trunk with growth only on top. I may want to take one of the other trunks out, but maybe not until next spring. Any ideas?

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    9 years ago

My guess is that you already have 2 plants in there....are you sure the trunks are actually joined under the soil I'm wondering? Maybe when you unpot and take a closer look next spring you will find the answer. Even if they are conjoined, you may well be able to split them and get 2 plants each with enough roots to form their own independent root system.

Gill UK

• Cmoores1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Question, my jade is coming along good, i have red edging around all of the 'leaves' is this normal?

• Cmoores1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Full plant view

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    9 years ago

Yes it is. It's enjoying the sun-while we have some!
    It is looking good, nice new growth.

9 years ago

But they still look overpotted in mix that looks like it will keep water too long. Perhaps in spite of that, the plants look good.

• Cmoores1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The mix is a cactus succulent mix. And usually by the next day, it is dry. It is 19 years old, and was always in household soil until I put it in this mix.

I know that I should add pumice or perlite to this, and will, perhaps when I take it inside for the winter, or when I bring it back out in the spring.

9 years ago

Jades can be grown in less-than-ideal soil as long as other factors are paid attention to - less watering is the main one I think of in this situation. You've obviously twigged onto that, as your plant's looking good.

You might want to repot it now, since it will be going into its main growing season soon; this will allow the plant to get used to the new home/pot. Don't water it for a few days after repotting.

• Cmoores1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I've been corrected, it's at least 25 years old. I believe that I will heed your advice and add either pumice or perlite to it when my kids go back to school next week. At what temperature should I bring it in (at night)? Also what is this I read about blooming?

9 years ago

I agree with Jeff.
    You can use the remaining warmth and sunlight to get this nice Jade re-established before Winter. Bring the Jades indoors when the temps dip into the 30F's. 37F - 35F is about as low as I like to go. They *can* go a bit lower with dry roots, but why risk it?

Josh

• Cmoores1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

OK, so I repotted using half cactus mix, half perlite. This is the after photo. Keep in mind that I just watered it as well.

I also found that when I opened it up, that the third trunk was rotting under the soil. I didn't want that to effect the plant so I removed it as best and neatly as I could. I believe I got it all out. Was that the right thing to do?

Thanks alot!

9 years ago

Yes, that was the right thing to do.
    In the future, I would recommend even more Perlite (70% or so), and I would rinse the Perlite to eliminate the dust and the fine particulate.

Josh

• Cmoores1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

OK, thanks.

I will add more next time. The perlite all floats, this is strange to see, guess I will have to get used to it.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    9 years ago

You can top dress with small rocks or something that looks good (glass, decorative pebbles...) to keep perlite from floating.

Not sure, but it looks little overpotted? I could be wrong, maybe it's just hard to get scale from photo. (Jeff mentioned that too).
    And you watered it just after re-potting? Jeff mentioned not to...
    Not sure where you are in Ont, I am too. This summer has been more 'wet', I don't water my jades at all. They get plenty from rain. (Just rained for abt. 10min right now...)

Rina

• Cmoores1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

OK, well I've added half perlite to the mix following the advice, so if it's still over potted, it will have to do for now(over potting was mentioned, before I added the perlite) . I did water it after the repotting it, I forgot to hold off on the watering.

I do water it, because I have it outside, under my roof overhang, so I control what water it gets. I thought that was best until I get the hang of it.

• Cmoores1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ps, I really love your idea about the pebbles. It looks great.

Also how do I rinse the perlite?

9 years ago

Do you have one of those kitchen strainers / colander?
    Run water through the Perlite to rinse of the dust and the small particles.

Josh

• Cmoores1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Better picture of the soil