Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mnkosch

Anybody know what these plants are?

mnkosch
10 years ago

I'm new to succulents and just have a couple of questions about my new plants. I was wondering if somebody could help me identify them so I could search how to care for them. After they settle in, am I able to use a leaf cutting to grow a new plant? How long should I leave the cut leaf to callous and dry out? Can a jade plant also be leaf cut? Thank you for your time, I really appreciate your answers! :)

P.S. How often should I water them?
Also Am I able to post more than one photo?

Comments (3)

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

Hi & Welcome,

On the left is a nice Kalanchoe Beharensis Fang it seems. The other I don't know, maybe some Echeveria but it needs more light.

Yes, one can use a leaf to start a new plant w/ this Kalanchoe. For a Jade you can use a cutting or a single leaf.

I'd concentrate on learning how to grow these first. Then after a while one can start to play w/ cuttings. Sorry, don't mean to be vague, but the frequency of watering will depend on several factors: the kind of mix you pot them in & the setting in which you grow them.

But since you said you're new to succulents, broadly speaking about succulents & their watering, we often suggest: when in doubt about watering, don't.

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

Yes, as Karen said, the one on the left is Kalanchoe beharensis 'Fang' (see the fangs on the undersides of the leaves).

The other one is hard to see. A closer, in-focus pic would be great! Yes, you can post more than 1 pic. Just answer to you own post & upload another.

Water when dry. Try to use well-draining mix (add Perlite or other-small-sized gravel to a cactus mix from store?).

Welcome to the succulent world! Enablers here!

*corrected spelling of plant name

This post was edited by rosemariero on Mon, Jun 24, 13 at 23:02

• mnkosch
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the quick responses! This post should have a close up of the smaller plant. I have the Kalanchoe baharensis potted in some cactus mix I bought at the nursery. I am going on vacation soon. If I water both before I leave, will they be able to survive two weeks without water? Should I use normal tap water, or rain/distilled water. I know from my CP's that sometimes salts can build up in the soil. Will this affect succulents?
    Should I put them in as much direct sunlight as a can on the windowsill, or do they prefer partly shaded light. Thanks again!