Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nicky5282

New to succulents

Nicky5282
11 years ago

Hi (please images below in photo bucket)

I am new to succulents and don't have much of a green thumb! On Saturday I planted two pots with various succulents. I used regular miracle gro soil / perlite (50/50). I am keeping this outside. They are getting about 1.5/2 hours of direct sunlight a day.

Several of the plants are getting brown spots (pic 3 and 4). One plant the leaves are looking sad, the edges are curling (pic 1 and 2). My dog tore this plant out of the pot on Sunday, ripped some leaves out, and I replanted. And one plant, one of it's leaves looks almost wrinkled (pic 5).

What am I doing wrong and what can I do to keep from killing my plants? If you respond to please use photo numbers as I really don't know the plants names!

http://photobucket.com/nicky5282

Thank you!

Comments (6)

• Microthrix
    11 years ago

They all look fine, except for 1 which just looks as if it is healing from damage, 3 looks normal, 4 looks like it just has some scars, which will go away as the plant grows more leaves and drops old ones, and 5 looks like some of the bloom was rubbed off ... i recomend maybe a bit more light and not to use miracle grow potting mix as it contains peat (bad bad bad) and maybe make Al Gritty's mix ... im just a youngster just really getting into succulents ... wait till a more trusted person comes along and confirms things

• stonesriver
    11 years ago

Nicky:

Your plants will do fine in the 50/50 mix as long as you don't tend to overwater. However, if overwatering is a problem, you'll need to switch to at least 75% perlite or another medium.

Linda

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    11 years ago

Nicky,

The first rule of Fight Club is you don't talk about Fight Club. That was reworded from the first rule of Succulentism - when in doubt about watering, don't water.

Welcome to this fabulous group of plants and our party here.

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    11 years ago

First off, welcome to this forum and your new home away from home. Next, not sure where in Florida you live but Mike at Plants Out of Africa is over in Naples (http://www.out-of-africa-plants.com). He is very knowledgeable and while it isn't for me to volunteer his time, I'm pretty sure he would give you his opinion about your soil mix. Whether you are heavy handed with water or not, with your summer rains and humidity, you want to opt for something that will dry reasonably fast. Slowly, acclimate your plants to more sun so they don't burn. And finally, I see you are using Photobucket to upload your pictures. Rather than type a link to your pictures, you can paste the picture directly into this message window. If you are only posting a single picture, use the, "Inage file to upload" option just above this message area. This way you can save the image to a folder on your computer re-sized to 1024 x 768 and "browse" to that folder, select the picture, preview and post. If you want to insert more than one picture, upload them to Photobucket as you normally would do. Hover over each picture and select the box just under the picture. Repeat this for each picture you want to include in the post. Now scroll down to the bottom of the pictures and open, "Chose an Action." This will open a menu. Select the last item. This will display a listing of your selected pictures. You can opt for "clickable thumbnails" or "Full size". Just click the one you want to paste and return to the message window and right click and paste. You can do the same thing by selecting individual pictures and clicking the listing under the picture, "HTML code", then return to GW and paste.

• teengardener1888
    11 years ago

Succulents are easy houseplants requiring minimal care and watering. Succulents are plants that store water in roots stems leaves so they can survive drought. The things that set succulents apart from cacti is that most not all have leaves and no thorns. The exceptions are usually found within the euphorbia genus. The ones that look like cactus in euphorbia are actually close relatives to pointsettia(Christmas star). The crown of thorns is a succulent with thorns but leaves. It is also in euphorbia. Quoted by yours truly

• stonesriver
    11 years ago

Teen:

Very sharp, you are. :-) The more you hang around here you'll not only learn about plants but about basic writing, too. You'll be one step ahead of your classmates when you have to write that first, dreaded term paper.

Lesson 2: It is best to source (attribute) the quote: "According to...."

Linda