Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
whip1_gw

Growing Jades "hard"

I've seen a few members here talk about growing Jades "hard". By hard, I mean with low water and fertilizer. For those that are familiar, walk me thru the process. What are the goals? How often do you water? How do you know when to water?
I grow my jades outside in the summer. They're in the gritty mix, and I water about every other day. I've been trying to maximize growth. Now that I have a few bigger ones, I'm interested in trying something new.
Thanks for the help.

Rob

Comments (12)

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Hey Rob, I don't know why others grow them like that other than to discourage them from growing faster and bigger, more healthier.

Mine grows like weeds when I feed and water them reugularly, and hardly grow at all when deprived of water and food.

Mike

This post was edited by meyermike_1micha on Mon, Jul 1, 13 at 13:18

• Pots_Alot
    10 years ago

Hard growing can result in a jade loss, it slows the growth down and is in a since a replication of Jades natural growing areas

You could try but probably wont match the high air temp to sudden cooler moisture to water it's needs in a pot size target

If to try it's easy to say expect a loss of plant, aim for high day temps to heat into the 100's 8 hours and more in basking sun and then get temps drop to 70- 50 and lower during the night day after day year after year.

Just as a note Even though a jade can tolerate such high temps and temp changes with cooler air carrying moisture in nature and even in cultivation..... doesn't mean Jades grow.

• whip1 Zone 5 NE Ohio
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mike,
    I hope all is well. One member, I forget his name, grows them in California hard. He gets really impressive color. I'm not sure if we could do it with our short summer, and inconsistent weather. I'm torn between growth and color. Mine are growing well right now.

Pots-alot,
    It will be hard to control that here in Ohio. Last year, we had a lot of days in the 90's with little rain, and this year it's lots of 70's with lots of rain. It's rained 6 out of the last 1o days.
    I have a few extra common Jades. I wouldn't try it with anything special.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Growing a plant hard typically reduces the growth-rate and the size of the leaves, but it can also increase those intense colors.

I think it wiser to grow Jades with water, fertilizer, and root-room to the desired size, then begin to limit the water, nutrients, and root-room, just like bonsai. A healthy plant first, with a significant trunk, then a pruning and a decrease in nutrients to maintain a more compact, colorful form.

Always remember that stress is stress. It decreases vitality, and makes a plant more vulnerable.

Josh

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Hey Rob>>>I am good..Thank you and I hope you are too! That ZZ is having a great time in my yard..:-)

Hello Josh! I could not have worded it better. Great advice pal.

• whip1 Zone 5 NE Ohio
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Josh,
    Thanks for the info. I have a few that are pretty good size. I think I might wait a year or two before I start this.

Mike,
    Good to hear. I'm doing well, but I've been really busy with work. Good to hear about the ZZ! If you get a chance, post a pic.

Rob

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

Here in southern California, a mile from the beach, we have moderate temps (70-75 year-round)...so my plant environment is much different than yours.

My plants are all on the SOS program, grown hard (Sink Or Swim). Yes, they are all stressed...not always intentionally. They are not large bushes. But they probably mimic their natural environment grown this way. We don't get much rain & I water when I remember (squeezed between all my other parts of life). They can be neglected for long periods of time. I don't recommend this. It's just a way of life here. Folks on the forum would most likely NOT recommend growing plants this way. Good advice from those above.

But, because my plants are grown this way, I get many with our California Tan. I like colorful plants!! Yes, the leaves can be smaller & plants may not fare too well at times. I enjoy them, just the same. Lots of sun, water when I can, hardly ever fertilize = grown hard.

I started collecting pix of my hard grown plants to show you...& found myself getting carried away. So, I narrowed it down to this dozen! (The large form of 'Hobbit' is not so hard grown...yet!) Click for larger view:

{{gwi:573614}} {{gwi:573616}} {{gwi:495166}}

{{gwi:573619}} {{gwi:573620}} {{gwi:573622}}

{{gwi:573624}} {{gwi:573626}} {{gwi:573627}}

{{gwi:573628}} {{gwi:573629}} {{gwi:573630}}

Bad, neglectful, succulent Mama! :P ~Rosemarie

• whip1 Zone 5 NE Ohio
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Rosemarie,
    Those are really nice looking plants! Makes me want to move to California, and reminds me that I need a Hummels Sunset.

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Sheesh! Same here Rosemarie! I WISH I could have weather like that for more than a day or two in a row for weeks on end. Luck you!

Rob, I sure will..Let's see if I can get a sec these next few days:-)

Mike

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

Thanks, Rob & Mike! Yes, Lucky me! I think EVERYONE should have a 'Hummel's Sunset'!! :D

• mamas
    10 years ago

WOW rosemarie those are beautiful! i live in The central valley and have a jade plant ive gotten from my great grandma- ive had it atleast 7-8 years with a few years i had to leave it with my mom and she about killed it!! idk how but it was a lot taller when i gave it to her and when i got it back it it was half the size and had a whole in the middle of the trunk. ive has it back for atleast 3 now and its growing more like a bush then tall like a tree as before. it is green green green and occasionally it has red tips.

i would love to get some other jades ans try to have the beautiful colors yours has but dont wanna risk killing my great grandmas plant- i would say its between 20-30 years old, being ive had it for 8 n shes had it a lot longer..

basically you just put it in a pot and forget about??

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

Mamas, I'm oh so sorry to have taken so long to respond! I've gotten sidetracked, as usual. Thanks so much! Glad you like these colored up guys.

Wow! That is an old plant! I'm guessing you have it in a pot? Amazing that it is still alive. A hole in the middle of the trunk doesn't sound great, though. Hoping you will bring it back to its former self! =) Have you tried potting up your plant?

I don't forget about my plant completely, I just don't fuss over it. Our house used to be surrounded by Crassula ovata growing up. (As kids, we called them Rubber plants.) So, I wasn't too keen on having any. I ended up with the one in a pot, which more-or-less made it a bonsai. Not being in the ground, it counts on me for water~which it doesn't get often~but it does, on occasion! :P

I suppose you could experiment with a cutting, getting it to grow in a separate pot & then, once established, try the SOS method. :D