Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lululee_gw

Need IDs on three strange plants

LuluLee
10 years ago

Hi, I have three plants that need identification. I've looked on the web to no avail. I've spent hours trying to track down the plants using all kinds of keywords, like "Christmas" and "berries" for the red plant.

"Centipede" for the weird looking cactus? Succulent?? Not even sure what it is. It has a milky sap. I've tried to propagate it but not sure which method to use.

The third succulent - I've not tried to ID it but I figured I had a picture handy so maybe I'll get lucky with all three plants on this forum.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (17)

• LuluLee
    Original Author
    10 years ago

close up of berries

• LuluLee
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This plant looks like a centipede - I've tried to ID this plant for months to no avail (I've tried "Crassula" but it doesn't really match a Crassula I've seen online)....

• LuluLee
    Original Author
    10 years ago

close up of centipede looking plant

• LuluLee
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another strange plant - it looks like an overgrown succulent

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

Try Rhipsalis on the 1st & Senecio on the last. Middle one looks familiar, but no name popping in my head just yet! :P Need a nap...so species name on others must be floating in the back of my head. Others here may come to your rescue soon! :D LOL

Back for edit: Try Senecio cylindricus (or talinoides var. cylindricus).

2nd edit, try: Rhipsalis ramulosa var. angustissima, (Pseudorhipsalis ramulosa)

This post was edited by rosemariero on Thu, Jun 27, 13 at 20:27

• LuluLee
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you very much rosemariero! You solved the mystery for the Rhipsalis - the Ramulosa looks exactly like the one I have! The third one looks like a Senecio "Kilimanjaro"...I saw some pics that looked exactly like it. I'll google Senecio Cylindricus.

Still scratching my head as to plant no. 2....

• NeonCactus
    10 years ago

Wow the first two are wonderful looking! I need to add these to my list of 'need to get that' plants :D

• LuluLee
    Original Author
    10 years ago

NeonCactus - thanks for the compliments :-) I purchased the red one from a plant vendor at a local orchid show last month for $6.00.

The second weird plant came from a garage sale - the plant was in a large pot and cost me $5.00 but that was over 9 years ago. Wish I knew what it was so I can research it and learn how to propagate it.

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

Hi,

I was going to suggest Epiphyllum of some kind for 1st & Senenio for last.

I'm going to suggest 2nd plant is some kind of Orchid (maybe a Vanda). Perhaps post pic #2 to GW's Orchid Forum.

Since you said you'd like to learn their care, I wish to point out that the 1st plant is a jungle cactus, tropical & requiring different care than more commonly thought of cacti (being arid land cacti).

Nice plants, enjoy.

• kaktuskris
    10 years ago

Milky sap for the second one is a clue. Your plant is Pedilanthus tithymaloides v. nanus.

Christopher.

• lzrddr
    10 years ago

middle plant looks like a Euphorbia, though it used to be in the genus Pedilanthus, until those were all dumped into Euphorbia... Euphorbia tithymoides or something like that... I have the same plant- should know how to spell it!

• LuluLee
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow, thank you all so much!!!

Pirate Girl - you are right, that red cactus in my hanging basket with berries likes to be kept moist. Now that I know what it is, I went to look it up and it said to keep moist and not to let it dry out.

Christopher - amazing! Thank you SO much. You don't know how much you have helped me. I've been going crazy for months. I saw this forum but thought I better try to google stuff on my own...nope! I should have posted a long time ago but I try to do research first.

Funny, it's called a "Devil's Backbone"...it looks more like a centipede to me ;-)

Izrddr - thank you for the info on the genus being labeled as Euphorbia, now I'll be able to ID the plant two different ways! It really helps to know what it is - I haven't had much luck in propagation but now that I know, I have more information at hand.

Thanks everyone!

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

Way to go, Christopher! And thanks to Geoff (Lzrddr) for reminding us they have reclassified this to Euphorbia. I wish they would've left it alone! Easier (for me) to remember Pedilanthus than say which of the thousands of Euphorbia is it?! Good growing/care info from Karen!

LuluLee, this one...the variety nana (v. nana) would not necessarily go by the common name for the species. Devil's Backbone was supposedly to describe the zigzag of the stem...on the species. This one does look more like a centipede. Too bad it's hard to research using the description, but sometimes it WORKS! Good that you at least try (make the effort) to do your homework.

• kaktuskris
    10 years ago

Here is my variegated Pedilanthus tithymaloides, where you can see more of the 'Devil's Backbone' thing.

Sorry, I'm not a lumper, so it's still Pedilanthus to me, same for Monadenium. Wasn't the genus Euphorbia big enough already?

Christopher

• LuluLee
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Christopher,

Thank you for posting the picture of what a "Devil's Backbone" is...had no idea! Thank you also for the IDs and education. I am learning a lot from this forum :-)

• LuluLee
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Christopher,

Thank you for posting the picture of what a "Devil's Backbone" is...had no idea! Thank you also for the IDs and education. I am learning a lot from this forum :-)

• kaktuskris
    10 years ago

My Pleasure.

Christopher

Sponsored
Arete Construction Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Experienced Craftsman & Top Quality Masonry in Frederick County