Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mark4321_gw

Coccinia quinqueloba update

mark4321_gw
14 years ago

Last fall I had a few posts on Coccinia quinqueloba, a cucurbit that rapidly formed a large tuberous caudex. I figured I would follow up on some of my questions of last year.

I bought the plant in mid-July in a 4 inch pot from Annie's Annuals. I immediately repotted it in a 12 inch hanging pot and didn't notice any tuber--but I didn't look. By fall, it had become a large plant, requiring regular pruning:

{{gwi:462232}}

With a little poking I did find a tuber beneath the surface--soon the tuber started poking above the soil:

{{gwi:462234}}

I was a bit surprised when I removed some soil. I believe this was November, so only 4 months after being repotted:

{{gwi:574200}}

So the question at that point was whether I should raise the caudex. The consensus seemed to be no. So I left it alone. Apparently the plant had other plans and the caudex has risen by itself a couple inches above the level of the pot (you'll also notice that the soil level is slightly above the pot in spots). This picture was taken today:

{{gwi:574201}}

The view from above--note that I did not raise this--and you can see that the soil level is at or near the top of the pot:

{{gwi:574202}}

I also found that it was very easy to root cuttings of the plant. The obvious question was then whether the cuttings would reproduce the caudex. The answer is yes. A cutting taken last fall as it appears today:

{{gwi:574203}}

In case you are wondering, some cuttings have grown what is more a single tuber.

I just checked and it turns out I did in fact show the above rooted cutting in late December. Here it is for comparison. A Quarter is slightly less than an inch in diameter, so you can see how much bigger it is than in December:

{{gwi:574204}}

It will be interesting to see what both of those look like next December. Will the cutting be as large as the big plant was a year before? Will the big plant break its pot?

I also have Coccinia sessilifolia now (seeds from J.L. Hudson) and once it gets bigger I'll take cuttings of it as well.

Comments (7)

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    14 years ago

I have only grown one curcurbit, but that one's got a great caudex. I don't know the answers to your questions, but the plant looks great.

• tucson_tomato
    10 years ago

What Coccinia make edible tubers? What sources of seeds are available for these species? I live in the Southwest where I feel there is great potential for these species.

• mark4321_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That's a good question. I don't know offhand the answer or where to look. Coccinia grandis, which goes by the common name tindora, has edible tubers. I think there are a fair number of gardenweb people who grow this plant, and you should be able to track down cuttings. My memory is that Coccinia quinqueloba tubers are edible, but need special preparation to be eaten. They are also considered a "famine food", not normally eaten, except when the alternative is starvation. Presumably there's a reason for this.

Some of the Coccinia species are South African, including Coccinia quinqueloba. I have found the people at Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens to be very knowledgeable and helpful. I think there's a site that gives info about asking them questions, but I don't know what it is offhand. I suspect someone there could either answer your question or point you in the right direction.

• tucson_tomato
    10 years ago

Dear Mark,

Did you save any seed or was this variety only of one gender (male or female)? Do you still grow this plant? I have seed of Coccinia grandis, though I would prefer trying out another variety for food, such as the C. quinqueloba or the C. abyssinica before trying to grow the C. grandis for food.

I did find a source of C. abyssinica seed, but I would prefer to try some other varieties first, if anyone in the U.S. has some for trade. A local Asian woman who provided me with the C. Grandis seeds noted that the roots are not that good of quality for eating. This woman told me that she cooks the leaves (perhaps in tea) to help with constipation and does not even bother with the fruit. I love the look of the Coccinia seeds and can only imagine, based on the native plants that grow here in Southern Arizona, that this variety would do very well here.

• mark4321_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yeah, this species is dioecious. I just had the male plant, and lost it to rot one winter.

Helping with constipation sounds like a suspicious quality....

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    10 years ago

I think I've found a way to make my millions - succulent curcurbit diet tea, but I'm going to have to work on that bit about the twenty times a day one needs the facilities.

• tucson_tomato
    10 years ago

Haha you two. That is what she said. She grew a ton of eggplants, tomatoes, sugarcane, peanuts, and all sorts of tropical or subtropical plants. She since moved, but she was a great gardening friend of mine.

I think the Coccinia grandis plant she planted along the concrete driveway continues to come back every summer. I love the drumstick shape of the seeds.