Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tweathers_gw

Aloe vera turning red randomly they have been outside for awhile

tweathers
9 years ago

I don't think they are burnt cause they are still really healthy,but I'm confused on why they are red? I have had them outside in full sun for a few months

Comments (12)

• tweathers
    Original Author
    9 years ago

If you notice the rest of my plants look fine, even have some blooms

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

Think of it as the equivalent of you getting a suntan (a suntan is actually a "defense mechanism"). It's the plant's way of protecting itself. I don't believe it's anything to worry about though.

Planto

This post was edited by plantomaniac08 on Wed, Jun 18, 14 at 20:49

• tweathers
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Okay I didn't really think they were in trouble, I just really like the bright green color guess I need to keep them in shade for that but I don't want to slow down the growing!

• benateli
    9 years ago

They tend to turn red/reddish-brown when they're getting too much sun.

I would put them in a spot where they get some shade and less direct sunlight. I don't think full sun is good for them in the long run.

They're pretty though! Good luck.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

Try morning sun, afternoon shade.

• tweathers
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok I will try that I just thought the more sub they could handle the faster they would grow lol guess impatience is a terrible thing

• jksatte
    9 years ago

This happened with my sisters plants and they were water logged. Once they dried up and were removed from the direct sun they did much better.

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    9 years ago

Mine turned quite red/brown when I first transplanted them into full sun. They had been growing in full sun in the pots, and now are PIG. Now they have adjusted and are quite green again. I don't know if it was the spot I moved them to or a little shock from the transplant, but I was pleasantly surprised they returned to green. I know you recently transplanted, so maybe just give them time and see what happens with the color, especially since they are otherwise healthy. Mine were brown for about 6 weeks.

• sunshine_mom
    9 years ago

I agree with jksatte, who said "This happened with my sisters plants and they were water logged. Once they dried up and were removed from the direct sun they did much better." A few months ago I had similar issue. After I repotted into a mix made of perlite and miracle gro mix and let it dry a bit, it turned back to green. Prior to that my potting mix had a lot of vermiculite and held lots of moisture in (wasn't great). Now, my aloe is a happy green and began to grow further. Good Luck :)

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    9 years ago

The grey-green with hints of red is how Aloe vera should look for six months of the year or so in SouCal - there's absolutely nothing wrong (i.e. not sunburn, more a suntan) with it. It's how Aloes in the ground look for the most part in that neck of the woods, and it's always the thing I look for in a well-grown plant, the natural colours being there.

• Laura Robichaud
    9 years ago

Jeff, I was thinking the same thing. My aloes all have lovely color from sun. To me they look happier and healthier in full sun in the summer.

• Misselle
    9 years ago

This is interesting. My aloe juvenna is doing the same thing. I was iffy about what was going on, cause they are growing really well, but with funny red/brown colouration. Nice to know I don't need to be concerned :-)

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals