Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jaybizzle_gw

Purple ice plant

jaybizzle
13 years ago

Do ice plant flowers pollinate themselves with wind, or do then need help from bees for cross-pollination?

I keep one inside, wondering if I should put it out on my porch for a while.

Comments (9)

• norma_2006
    13 years ago

Sorry I don't know, I have several in the front garden, and I not sure if insects visit them, but I don't know if they are self fertile inside the house/ room/ I have never sat and watched who visits them. Maybe some, perhaps all, or just some species. Norma

• norma_2006
    13 years ago

Jay which purple ice plant, a name or picture I think might be helpful. Norma

• norma_2006
    13 years ago

If you give me more information perhaps I can find them in the African books that I purchased on my trip. "RICHTERSVELD" by Graham Williamson I also have one more. Purple meaning flowers or leaves/plant? Norma

• newnewnie
    13 years ago

My guess is that jay meant purple flowers - and I'm assuming the name is Delosperma cooperi.

Here is a link that might be useful: Couple of pictures of it

• jaybizzle
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sorry ya'll, I suppose I assumed that if there were multiple kinds of purple flower ice plants that they would pollinate the same?
    I believe it is a Delosperma cooperi :] I like it, it's a very flexible succulent, unlike all the other succulents I have.

{{gwi:574649}}

Thanks for the feedback!
    Jay

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:574649}}

• norma_2006
    13 years ago

The last picture shown is really purple, the first are more pink to my eyes, this is the reason I ask. I have one that is magenta, with very large flowers, and of the ice plant family, and I think I have the first one shown as well, also one that has tiny yellow flowers and leaves that is supposed to be a miniature. Thanks for the pictures and the explanation. Their are many species that are called ice plants, so I needed clarification. I want to find out the name of the one in the last picture. So now I go to the books, Thanks Jay, see what I can do, no promises, Norma

• jaybizzle
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Norma, and everyone!

I tried searching the web a little for their pollination facts, but couldn't find much, so I thought I'd ask the experts. ;) I figure it'll be easy to propogate by cuttings - it is a succulent after all - but I always like to know how my plants work and whatnot.
    I've never gotten into much depth concerning the knowledge of flowering and pollination.

• norma_2006
    13 years ago

Jay take a look at Delosperma obtusum, the leaves are longer and are triagle in section, lvs. 1-3 cm long What I see in my book I have a match, the petals 18 mm even swirl around the same way in the center (yellow center petals) I found a picture of D. cooperi right next to it. So can compare. I am not saying that I'm right and eveyone else is wrong, but it worth looking at. I found a picture in one book and a listing and description in another. It may be difficult to find, Norma

• jaybizzle
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I found the tag that it had when I bought it and it is indeed D. Cooperi. But just to make sure, I exhausted what little google had to show me for both that and D. Obtusum, and I'm still pretty sure it's Cooperi.
    Do their pollination systems vary that much anyway? That may be a dumb question, but I'm a newbie and it just seems like they'de be similar.

Thanks for the help!
    Jay

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting