Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mike69o

Queen of the Night - Advice Please.

I just received a rooted Epiphyllum oxypetalum (Queen-of-the-Night-Cactus) as seen in the picture. I am not sure if I should re-pott or wait. I plan on using the gritty mix if I re-pott. It is about 110 degrees now and looks like over 100 for the next 10 days or so.
Also, how much water does it need, wait for the soil to dry or keep it moist? Any and all advice is much appreciated.

Thanks
Michael

This post was edited by MikeO55 on Mon, Jun 2, 14 at 20:50

Comments (6)

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

This is normally a tree living jungle cactus so a lighter more humus in the soil is good. I incorporate bark and composted wood. I actually go around the woods looking for some rotted wood stuff to add to the soil. . I also incorporate pumice and perlite and some potting soil. Some people use commercial mix with some bark added to it. That said, I did grow it in a gittier mix at the beginning because I just did. It still has to have drainage. You will be watering things more often. some say it should drain in 15 seconds. I heard that once. I don't know if that is right but it sounded good.. I keep my epyphilum in the shade under a tree in dappled shade. I have had100 and 110 degree weather in Texas for long stretches at a time. Yours is small, so keep an eye on it. It does not like to be dried out in the same way cactus or aloes do.. I watered twice a week and used a no nitrogen or low nitrogen fertilizer at 1/4 or 1/2 dilution. It will take awhile before it blooms. I think my plant bloomed on year three. I don't know if this is the right thing to do but I clipped it down close to the base in the spring after a full summer of growth after its first year, forcing it to branch thickly from its base.. Epi bloom on year old growth so if you severely cut it back, you delay the bloom.

I included a album of my epi below. I have taken a lot of photos of it through the years.

{{gwi:574673}}

{{gwi:574674}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Epi Flicker album

• Michael O (USDA Z9 San Tan Valley AZ)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Beautiful pictures, I went thru the album and I love it. Awesome night flower pictures.

Thanks for all the advice, it sounds like it may be better if I re-pot in a 5-1-1 mix (bark, fines, perlite or pumice).

How fast does it grow, wondering if I should use a larger pot or a small one and re-pot in spring.

Thanks again
    Michael

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

It was not that fast growing the first couple of years but I would give it a bit bigger pot than the one it is in right now. 2-3 arms sprouted the first year. It has been such a long time ago. I can not remember.

I think mine is getting old. This spring it has not put out any new arms and it usually has had its first flush of blooms by now. I haven't even seen buds on it. i am a bit worried. So I am thinking of starting anew with a cutting.

Once they get started , I had about 5 flushes of blooms every summer here in Texas. Each flush having more blooms than the last.I would give it a fertilization as treat after it bloomed. I imagine that the bloom event takes a lot of plant energy.

I heard once that they bloom as a survival instinct so giving too much fertilizer is not good because it is too happy. I read all sorts of conflicting stuff. It is hard to know what is real. I read once that one should not keep it under a tree because rain brought down bacterial infections on it. THESE GUYS LIVE IN TREES. The writer was living in an apartment in London. Maybe Texas trees are different from Trees in London and London trees are sick buggers. So I don't buy that tidbit of info.

• jojosplants
    9 years ago

Mike,
    What size is the bark sifted to? do you mean the 1/8 or less by "fines" ?

• Michael O (USDA Z9 San Tan Valley AZ)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, I mean bark for the gritty, and instead of peat use the fines 1/8 or less.

• jojosplants
    9 years ago

Ah.. Ok.. I do some of my plants that way to avoid peat. :-) Keep us posted! I love this plant, but have never been brave enough to try it.

Sponsored
Interior Style by Marisa Moore
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars57 Reviews
Northern Virginia Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2013-2020!