Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do you get cacti to bloom?

Posted by wiley1983 none (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 18, 13 at 21:11

How in the heck can i get my cacti to bloom?? I never had any that did?? Someone told me that you have to cause them stress, is this true?? Or aa load of crap???

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do you get cacti to bloom?

Cactus is a large plant family. Do you have a jungle cactus or a desert plant. Is it columnar, round or maybe a Euphorbia? A picture would save a lot of guessing.

o

In general, the concept of stressing plants to encourage blooming is indeed a load of crap.

If a cactus is mature (this varies but many cactus species bloom at small sizes), it should bloom every year. Requirements include:

- adequate light (real sunshine or good artificial lighting, not a windowsill)
- adequate moisture usually beginning in the spring (for most species to set buds) or for some species fall watering will trigger bud development overwinter or early spring)
- warmth in the day, preferably with a cool down at night. This is very difficult to do indoors where most homes have a pretty stable temperature day and night
- healthy roots
- in addition, many South American species need a period of cold, close to freezing, temperatures to initiate good flower production.

o

And maybe the type of cacti you have don't flower until they are very large/old. More info would help us help you.

Since I've been giving mine bloom fertilizer I've been getting more and larger flowers. I have been using Tiger Bloom. Most of my cacti are South Americans or their hybrids.

They overwinter in my sunroom where it can get down to the 40s. The light is not great, but they aren't watered very much because I'm not expecting them to grow. In the summer they live outside where they get much more sunshine and where the temps can fluctuate as much as 40 degrees between day and night--they love it!

I get a lot more flowers in the late summer than in the spring. I think it's because of more sun, water, fresh air and fertilizer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here