Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meyermike_1micha

A couple of my cactus ready to bloom! Pics

meyermike_1micha
13 years ago

Just about ready to flower, maybe by tomorrow? After a long winter, I think they are grateful I didn't over water them..

{{gwi:576164}}

{{gwi:576166}}

{{gwi:576169}}

STUPID ME KNOCKED THE BUD RIGHT OFF AFTER THIS PICTURE!! Arg!!

{{gwi:576172}}

Comments (21)

• blutarski
    13 years ago

Very nice! What type of cactus is the first one. That's a ridiculously huge flower bud, never saw anything like that.

As for the second, it's quite beautiful, sorry about the bud. I can't keep those grafted cacti alive, let alone get one to flower.

• Andrew Scott
    13 years ago

Harry,
    How exciting for you. Sorry you lost the bud on the cactus in the second picture. Must be frustrating for you. I am surpeised it did so well. I remember hearing that cacti that have the red color like that can rot and die. Do you know what that first cactus is? I would like to know. If you don't know, maybe someone here will. Then I can order one but I think it may be the same that I saw for sale for 3.95 today. I am going to buy that tomorrow along with a fig tree for 10.95. I also saw the portulaca afra but with space at a premium for me, I really have to want something to buy it now. I am running out of room in my tiny apartment very fast. Please take pics of it when it opens. The bud reminds me of epiphylum oxypetalum. I know that it isn't related but I would love to know if it is fragrant or not.
    Andrew

• Marie Tran
    13 years ago

That was big bud on the first one. Please post pictures after it's bloom. I am sorry you lost the bud. But I can't stop laughing. Thank you for posting these pictures.

• jojosplants
    13 years ago

Hi Mike!
    Great looking plants and buds! I can't wait to see the first one!!!

I too cannot keep a grafted like you have alive! I am so sorry about the bud too.
    But sounds/looks like your doing better than some of us and can be proud you still have the plant at least.

I have blooms to post too. One of these days I will get it done. LOL!

Big hugs your way.!

Don't leave us in suspense,get back here as soon as it blooms!

JoJo

• tjicken
    13 years ago

The first is Echinopsis subdenudata, and it is fragrant.

• emerald1951
    13 years ago

HI Mike,
    great flowers...
    bummer about the bud...
    thanks for sharing..
    linda

• davemichigan
    13 years ago

Very nice. Thanks for sharing the pictures!

The knocking off of the bud must be frustrating, but it looks like you have plenty more of them. :-)

• jojosplants
    13 years ago

Good eye Dave!

We were all feeling bad about it and didn't even see the others.. LOL!

O.K. Mike, dont knock them off..ROFL!

JoJo

• notolover
    13 years ago

My Echinopsis subdenudata doesn't get such big flowers on it, mine just has the beginnings of some buds so far this year. I never knew they were fragrant either so I'll have to smell them next time.

Sorry that you will have longer to anticipate the flowers of the second one :-(.

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hahhaha, lolol..All of you are too nice and a riot too..

Mike..:-)

They opened this am..I took the pictures..I will post tonight. Thank you

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    13 years ago

Howdy, Mike!
    That big, hairy bud cracks me up!
    Reminds me of a dog that's losing its hair... ;)

Josh

• blutarski
    13 years ago

is the grafted on a copiapoa? I have one that isn't grafted, and it looks similar except for the color.

• tjicken
    13 years ago

It is a Gymnocalycium stenopleurum (v. friedrichii). Copiapoa usually have yellow flowers.

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

Congrats Mike! I'm not a big fan of Cacti(too thorny for me, and I'm always pricking myself,lol...)but I love the blooms! Sorry you knocked that pretty one off, I'm always doing something similar. Everything looks nice and healthy...Enjoy them!

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here are the flowers..

They bloomed overnight after taking the pictures, that would be yesterday morning, but they dies as soon as bloom..

They only lasted one day! Is that the reward we get for all the hard work to keep them healthy till summer? lol

{{gwi:576174}}

{{gwi:576176}}

But they looked good for one day in amongst all the rest.;-)

{{gwi:576178}}

{{gwi:576179}}

{{gwi:576180}}

Mike

• jojosplants
    13 years ago

Mike ,
    They are beautiful!!!
    Congrats! :)

Are you sure they died after 1 day? Alot of cactus will close and reopen the next day, for several days. :)

JoJo

• tjicken
    13 years ago

They usually open in the evening and die before noon the following day, but it depends on the weather too. I have seen them last for two full days in cool weather.

• jojosplants
    13 years ago

Hi Tj,
    Thanks for helping on this. I did have some blooms reopen for 2 days, but it was in May when it was cooler.

Some of our mams bloomed for a few days too.

I took pics, just havnt had a chance to post them. lol.. maybe today.

Have a great day everyone!
    JoJo

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Jojo..

Thank you so much. I can't wait to see yours..;-)

Yours must be in heaven where you live and and in your hands..

Good to see you and you owe me..;-)

Josh, Pug, Chris and Tjicken, thanks for the encouragement and info..

Mike

• TT, zone 5b MA
    13 years ago

Thought I would start up the flowering thread again...

btw, Mike, that is an awesome bloom on that cactus (and sorry about the one you knocked off...glad to see I am not the only one who does stuff like that ;-)...

astrophytum
    {{gwi:576181}}

sempervivum
    {{gwi:576182}}

euphorbia milii
    {{gwi:576183}}

...more to pop, maybe tomorrow. This summer has been really great in my neck of the woods so far. We deserve it compared to last summer at this time! sheesh!

Tom

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Tom...AMAZINGLY beautiful!!

I love the, well all of them...Thank you so much for posting these...

Before I came here, I never thought that so many cactus and succulents could look so beautiful, even without fragrance..I wonder how many of these plants actually have a fragrance? Maybe it is time to start another thread...

Mike..:-)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting