Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cactus ID, please?

Posted by Sugi_C 10a - SF Bay Area (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 17, 13 at 21:42

Hi all -

I visited my parents in Southern California, and my mother had this cactus planted here, there and everywhere. Initially, I wasn't keen on it but after a few days, the look started to grow on me. She had it outside in full sun, full shade and in every imaginable light indoors, too.

Strange how it didn't appear to care where it was.

IMG_4826

IMG_4595-001

Just because it looked so resilient, I took a few cuttings are brought it home. Now I have a little pot inside in full sun, and one outside in partial shade/sun. I planted them into a really bizarre mix of rocks, perlite, Turface, bark and peat. (Don't ask - I didn't have enough gritty mix and combined what I did have to make a mix.) It's a well-draining mix, haha.

But I have no idea what it is except to say it's a cactus!

Anyone recognize it?

Thank you!

Grace

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cactus ID, please?

Not sure which is current & can't quite tell if yours is variegated, but try Opuntia monacantha in a search engine. You may see Austrocylindropuntia as the newer name...not sure.

o

Opuntia monacantha varigata var monstrosa. Hear is mine. It started life a small as yours. Don't ask how long ago.

DSC_0028

o

Wow that is a gorgeous pot of cactus/succulants. It looks so good growing together.

o

Thanks, guys!
Wow, that is GIGANTIC! Um, yah, mine are small, though my mom did have some rather big ones, but not even close to that. I won't ask how long ago, haha, but I am ok with it taking its time as if it gets half that big, I'll have to move, lol.

That's exciting!

Thanks for the name, Rosemarie and wanton. I knew y'all would recognize it. :-)

o

It is not a particularly fast grower for me. The sun does do pretty things to it. Mine gets lots of fall, winter and spring sun, but gets a redpite when it gets hot in the summer time.

o

DG has it hardy to 20F. I have never taken it that low because of its neighbors. I am thinking about taking it out of that pot an putting it in a big pot that stays outside on the winter sunny patio. I wheel this one in and out the other option is to change out the tender SA neighbors for things like sempervirons, E. runyonii, E lilacina, e. agavoides and ice plants that need drying out in winter but can deal with the cold..

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here