Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
hmm, wonder which plants may still be there

Posted by paul_ z5 MI (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 18, 12 at 21:48

Went up to visit the folks this past weekend (about 4 hrs north of my apt) and won't be heading home for a few more days. With the hot summer temps already here, I had relocated almost all of my succulents outside on my balcony. This evening a rather impressive storm system came through my folks' area -- don't know if it went far enough south to reach where I live. I was actually at a Lowes garden center when it hit. The wind was strong enough that even under the roofed outdoor section one still got wet. I was about 30ft (about 9m?) or more in from the roof edge but as the deluge pounded down, the wind whipped a spray of fine droplets horizontally through the entire length of the garden center. On the one hand it was very impressive to see -- haven't seen a storm like that in years. On the other, is the realization that if those high winds did indeed reach far enough south of here to sweep across my balcony (I'm on the 3rd floor), I could very well find myself missing quite a few plants. No, I'm not going to agonize over this -- wouldn't do any good to do so -- but I am going to be interested to see just how they fared.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: hmm, wonder which plants may still be there

• Posted by ssk22 5/ohio (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 18, 12 at 22:25

Paul
I was in that same storm ,that came so fast I didn't have time to move my plants.the plants were all over .busted pots ,busted plants. Just when they were starting to look good.We needed the rain, but not the plants.
I am in Ohio near Toledo
Sharon

o
RE: hmm, wonder which plants may still be there

I think you'll be fine, Paul. While we had some nice hard rain and some wind, it wasn't as impressive as what you had up north. As you know, all of my stuff is outside and it did just fine.

Sharon, sorry to hear about your situation. But they will all grow new again and be just as much a joy to watch.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here