Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Some Pics Of My Trees From Virginia Beach...

Posted by loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 20, 12 at 22:05

Hello Everyone,

I haven't been over to this side in awhile.. But Mike and a few others had mentioned a few nice comments about some of my C & S. I may not know all of the names, but i do know what some are called.. So i would welcome any help with some of the ones that i dont have labeled. Or even mislabeled!! LOL..

Here they are...
Leopard Lilly
Photobucket
Agave ( Blue ) Americana
Photobucket
Crassula Ovata (Tricolor)
Photobucket
Rina... I think you said this could be Kalanchoe?
Photobucket

This Varigated Jade i founnd at a small mom and pop nursery.. I had to divid this into three containers..
Photobucket

Thanks to Christopher.. He helped me id this one.. Portulacaria Afra.. I found this at the same Nursery.. It was in bad shape and needed some TLC. It dropped all od its leaves and finally came back.. I needed to repot..
From its original container..
Photobucket
soaked off the old soil
Photobucket
had some root issues..
Photobucket
cleaned it up...
Photobucket
Gritty mix ready..
Photobucket
New tree ...needs to be trimmed up a bit..but, im going to wait and give it time to adjust...
Photobucket
Photobucket
"Fang" : )
Photobucket
Photobucket
Some of my Plumeria
Henry Apples Dupree
Photobucket
Jeannie Moragne
Jeannie Moragne
Apricot

Some DR's

Photobucket
Photobucket
My Plumeria collection... : )
Photobucket
Photobucket

These are for you Mike..

Photobucket

Check out this California Sally// Bud Guillots tree..
It's bloom are around 5 inches.. it is a "beast"
California Sally
CS

Take Care Everyone!!!

Laura

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Some Pics Of My Trees From Virginia Beach...

Great.. ARggg..

Sorry for the Photobucket...

I am so frustrated right now.. LOL..

Ill fix later..

LJ

o

sorry ..

Just forget this post.. wish i could delete!!!

Laura

o

• Posted by rina_ 6a Ont (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 20, 12 at 23:34

Laura

All your plants are so beautiful.
And your garden too. Really enjoy looking at the pics.

I did suggest the plant in the same pot with variegated jade is kalanchoe, I think it is Kalanchoe daigremontiana (?); but I hope someone knowledgable will get the proper name...You'll have lots of kalanchoe babies.

Thank you for the 'show'.
Rina

o

• Posted by whip1 z5 ne Ohio (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 21, 12 at 6:56

Laura,
I love all of your plants, and your back yard! It looks like a great place to relax! Can you post a better picture of the Pony Tail Palm that's in the background of the 2nd picture?

Rob

o

The red, wrinkly thing is an Echeveria hybrid I believe. Looks the same as one tapla sent me.

The Kalanchoe was directly identified, no mistaking all those little clones :)

o

Wow...Gorgeous plants Laura!! They all look so Happy and very healthy! Those plumerias are just beautiful also.

Not fair...you're still wearing a long sleeve shirt in June? I've been in tank tops and shorts since March,lol...Plese send some of that cooler weather here :o)

Thanks for the lovely pictures...truly enjoyed them!

Nancy

o

Beautiful!!!!

Yes, more pix of ponytail palm, please!!!!! I have one too but she's indoor. :)

o

Nancy. You in wife beater shirts? Lol. I can only imagine the muscled ATMs on you from all that hard work:))))

Laura !!!! As always. Magnificent!!! Oh the beauty of so many plants. Would we say that plumeria is a succulent? I almost think so since they like the same conditions as all of my desert roses
The colors and water are amazing together. When is the pool party?
By the way, Sissy says same to you xoxixoc

So good to see you here with us again :)))

Mike

o

In the post above, I meant "correctly", btw, not "directly"! Darn phone.

I like Plumeria, but I don't think it quite qualifies as succulent. :) But xeric, maybe?

o

Wow, Laura, you sure get around lately!!! And always with gorgeous photographs, not a plant I don't like in the bunch!
Didn't realize Plumeria flowers got so huge!

Mike, my son bought me "The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Cacti and Other Succulents" by by Riha and Subik for Father's Day, and they do include Plumeria.

Christopher

o

Lovely plants Laura, your home looks like a luxury holiday resort :)

o

Hello Everyone!!

Rina.. Thank you!! You were correct.. Thanks for the ID. I really appreciate all of the kind comments!!

Hi Rob... I will glady post another pic of the Pony Tail Palm for you!!! This guy is so rootbound and i really need to repot and rootprune, but it is so big.. When my son comes home this summer, i will have him help me. I did have another Pony Tail that grew to large for my house and i gave it away to a neighbor who love palms.. If i was to bring that tree inside for the winter, i would have to somehow rest it on its side. I think DH would really have some "eye rolling issues" then!!! It was a least 10 feet or higher... LOL... I will upload my pics and post in a few minutes... This curent PT is about 8 feet tall and im afraid that it will not fit inside this year....

Hexalm... Yes that does sound familiar. Al did send me this as a little cutting a long time ago. Thank you for the ID!!

Hi Nancy!! Thank you for your kind comments!! It has been hot here as well...Today we had a high of 96* I am talking hot!! The long sleeve is actually a bathing suit coverup.. I work outside in my suit and when im messing around with my trees i usually put it on just to cover up a bit!! : ) When i get to hot... OFF it goes!! LOL!!!
I am so glad you enjoyed the pics.. I always enjoy yours!!! Sooo Beautiful!!!

Hi Mike!! Thank you!! Pool party can be anytime!!! LOL

I actually checked and Plumeria is considered a succulent, so you and CHristopher are correct. Now i dont feel so bad squeezing in some of my beauties!! LOL DR's and Oleanders are considered succulents as well...

I will post another pool pic just for you!! Tell SIssy this is one for her as well!!!

Christopher. LOL... I have been posting alot. Since i have been on vacation, i have some time to enjoy and relax with my trees and plants. Posting is always enjoyable, but when im working.. i am a tired pup!! Thank you for all of the nice complimets.. I always like to see your pics too! You have such different and exciting trees...

I also love the facinating pics from all around the world!!!

Oh...about the Plumeria blooms.. They do get large, some can reach around 4 inches, but this California Sally is the largest one. You can see it was 5 inches.. Truly beautiful. I sent this one to my friend Bud Guillot who named this tree. He is a well known Plumeria collector and has named many treees in the PSA (Plumeria Society Of AMerica) He jusr celebrated his 90th birthday and he climbed up in his tree in CA for me to collect a few cuttings for me. A true gentleman. I think the world of him... Y0u can imagine they are very special to me!!!

Hi Nikki!!! SO nice to hear from you!! I haven't seen you lately..or else i haven't been over to this side lately!! LOL.. Thank you for the nice comments about my yard. I had planted my Palm trees in my yard about 18 years ago when people didnt think they would survive in VB. I was one of the few who started them way back when and now they are everywhere. I had always wanted the "feel" that i could be somewhere in the tropics when i planned my backyard. I shaped the palms to make the islands in the yard like they have at some of the resorts in Florida. I will post a pic of the yard for you!! Mahalo!!

Laura

o

Here are some of the pics that i hav mentioned above..

Hope you enjoy them!!

Thanks everyone!!

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Varigated Plumeria
Photobucket
Miami Rose
MR
Daisy Wilcox
Photobucket

Good Night everyone.. This Pic i took while i was in Maui

I hope you enjoy!!! It is one of my favorites...

favorite picture that I took in Maui

Laura

o

• Posted by whip1 z5 ne Ohio (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 22, 12 at 6:52

Laura,
That might be the biggest pony tail palm I've seen in a private collection. How old is it? I agree with Mike, we need a pool party!

Rob

o

Wonderful photos as always!!!! Your place is just so beautiful. You know how I love your sabals and pindo. That ponytail palm is huge I love it. And your A. americana just made its self at home. Already making huge babys. Is that agave before the plumerias a "blue glow"?

Thanks for sharing and I'll be waiting for more plumeria bloom photos! See you on the other side!

Chad,

o

Lol Laura...thanks for letting me know I'm not the only one suffering in this heat! I'm among good company at least and we can ALL suffer together :o)

BTW, your Pool looks SO inviting and that sunset picture is SO beautiful...thanks for posting!! Thanks for the nice comments as well.

o

Hi Rob!!

Thanks... I do love Ponytail Palms too!

I would guess to say that it is around 10-14 years old?

The other one that i gave away was to a guy down the street.. It looks like it could use some TLC. : ( That one was about two feet taller!!! I wish that i could have kept it .. Hmmm,, should have raised the roof!! : )

Pool Party is ON!!! LOL...

Hi Chad,

So nice to see you!!! You have a good EYE!!! It is a "Blue Glow" What do you think of the others in the same container? See the Var one.. and the other two in front. Any ideas? The tag only said.... Blue Glow!!

Remember how the A. Americana looked when i potted it up in the yard last year? I was very happy we had a mild winter. I didnt do anything to protect it from the cold temps here. Hopefully, now it will be strong to handle this up and coming winter. How are your trees? Im sorry that i haven't been over to the other side lately... Plumerias are taking up most of my time!! But you know how much i love my Palms... : )

LOL Nancy.. it is so hot here... i seem to be watering all of the time. We finally had a storm system pass through and it has been raining for the last five hours. I know the trees re loving it too! I stated to water the palms but as soon as i brought the hose out to water, the skies decided to rumble...

I love that picture from Maui.. My love for Palms go way back... They still take my breath away! You are so lucky to live in Floria. I just love those huge palms you have down there.. Just beautiful!!

Take Care,

Laura

o

Tony... This Maya came from a dealer in Thailand. If you are interested i can give you the name on Ebay. My friend gave this small tree to me last year as a gift .. : )

Laura

o

Laura not sure about your other succulent there with that Blue Glow. That Blue Glow is gorgeous! Your A Americana should have no problem in your zone. I have some protoamericanas that are dwarf forms but are more hardy for my zone. My sabals are starting to grow. They are developing trunks now. Largest has a ft of trunk. Will be years till they look like yours. If that is possible in my z7.

o

Hi Laura:

Your photos are always outstanding! Not only do you have awesome plants, like those 18 year old palms in Virginia, and Plumeria with 5 inch flowers, you must have a nice camera also.

That variegated Plumeria is beautiful, didn't know they had such a thing. Hope you aren't turning into my buddy Mike, he wants a variegated EVERYTHING, and nearly has it!

Now, my sunset is not as impressive as yours in Maui, indeed, but I believe the location is; the sun setting on the Sulu Sea on the island of Mindanao in the Philippines. That is just me and my honey on a special day for us.

Christopher

o
Forgot the Pic!

OOPS! Forgot to add the photo, sorry for the repost...

Hi Laura:
Your photos are always outstanding! Not only do you have awesome plants, like those 18 year old palms in Virginia, and Plumeria with 5 inch flowers, you must have a nice camera also.

That variegated Plumeria is beautiful, didn't know they had such a thing. Hope you aren't turning into my buddy Mike, he wants a variegated EVERYTHING, and nearly has it!

Now, my sunset is not as impressive as yours in Maui, indeed, but I believe the location is; the sun setting on the Sulu Sea on the island of Mindanao in the Philippines. That is just me and my honey on a special day for us.

Christopher

o

Simply beautiful...

There isn't anything better than being in a setting such as that....

She is a beauty as well!!!

Thanks for sharing..

Laura

o

Hey, Laura!
Your plants are looking so healthy and colorful! They love your climate and your care! :-D
Your Squill (first pic) is growing so much better than mine. I re-potted last month, though,
so I think it'll improve.

Thanks for the pics!

Josh

o

Gorgeous plants & blooms, yard, sunsets & ALL! I echo everyone else's comments! Thanks for sharing them!

The Kalanchoe is not daigremontiana, but Kalanchoe x houghtonii (they are very similar). The other succulents in the pot with Agave 'Blue Glow' are Aloe hybrids in back & Crassula 'Campfire' in front (or so it seems).

o

WOW the palms are lovely! they always remind me of holidays and put a smile on my face so thanks for the pics :))

Nikki

o

Chris!!!!LOl and your right! There is something about variegated plants I love!

What a beauty of a picture and a honey too. Thanks for sharing with us:-)

Laura! Hello and I hope all is well. What beautiful photos you have there, especially the plumeria and sunset! Just amazing my dear friend and to see my biddy Chris with his gal:-)

Hello Josh, Nikki, Rose, Rob , Chad , and many new faces. Have a great night and thanks again for such a colorful and uplifting thread Laura.

Mike:-)

o

Thanks Laura and Mike for the comments! Here are some lovely E. milii from last summer's sojourn.

Christopher

o

Hello Everyone,

First of all, please forgive my manners for not posting a follow up to all that posted.

Things have been a little crazy here at my house and i have gone back to work. :( The temps around my area have been so hot that it is even hard to go outside for any amount of time. Today we had temps in the 100 * range. I was in PHL and temps were around 103* Hard to believe. Then to be on the ramp at the airport..well you can imagine the temps increase around 10 * higher.. Oh MY!!

Hi Josh.. Thank you for the kind comments. My Squill has taken a long time to grow as well. I just noticed that it has a new pup growing along side in the container.. So i am very pleased. It seems to be particular in where i keep it as far as the sun and heat. I have it in the greenhouse right now and it is very warm in there. So i guess it is happy. Sooo nice to hear from you!!!

Rosemarie.. Thank You so much for the additional ID's on some of my plants. I am not good at naming some of them and i do apperciate the help from all of you! I haven't been over here to this side that much only because i dont have that many to offer and show. But i do know that i enjoy what you have to offer and i will always remember when i first visited this site in searching for a Night Blooming Cerese. How nice and welcoming you all were. Especially Christopher, Mike and MrLike2. I just want to say that some of the forums are not to fun to visit because of certain people that treat new people like they are not welcome. I just want to say thank you to most of you for making me feel welcome here..

Nikki...You are always wonderful..Thank you!!!

Mike.. My good friend.. I know you love Varigated Plants and trees. Iam glad you like my Varigated Maya!!! I love all of your things.. Always have!!!

Christopher.. What beautiful plants and beautiful gals you let us see. Always nice to hear your comments. You have been a special man who has always made me feel good when i post. Mahalo!!

Take care ,

Laura

o

Laura,

Thanks for the kind comments. We truly reap what we sow. You sow kindness, you get kindness in return.

By the way, hope you have had time to enjoy that beautiful pool in this heat!

Christopher

o

all I can say is WOW!! great collection you have there! Bet you dont have a dog, do you-- lol

Marjie :)

o

Thank you Christopher!!!

I believe that is true.. those who are kind receive kindness.. those who are not so kind will get it back some time... : )

Hi Marjie,

Im not sure if your are talking about my little weiner dog. I did post a pic on another forum and was kindly told it wasns't the place for pics like that... so to answer your question.. i do have a little weiner dog. My kids are back in town. One is back from college and has his Black Lab. My daughter who is about to have a little one is home with her two dogs. One is a Boxer and another weiner. So, things have been a little crazy here at my house. Thank you for your kind comments!!!

Christopher.. i forgot to say that we have been using the pool. The temps this weekend were around 100* and it has been sooooooooo hot!!!

Take care everyone!!

Mahalo...

Laura

o

A few dogs is nothing like 15 cats and 4 dogs running around, jumping, and fighting, knocking everything down ... almost everyday i go outside and find something knocked over... theres broken opuntia pads, or even a chewed up aloe ( ._.)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here