Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lizs4

Multiple Jade Issues

lizs4
9 years ago

Hello, a couple months ago I adopted a couple of very leggy, weak jades from someone. I have since cut back all the drooping branches (rooted them ALL and now have more jade babies than I know what to do with!), and repotted them since they hadn�t been repotted in years � had to actually smash one of the pots!
Anywho, I am currently not in a living situation that will allow me to keep all my adopted houseplants indoors, so these jades have been going through repotting shock in the great outdoors, susceptible to all sorts of things. I learned about sunburning after they got the afternoon sun a few days in a row, and have provided them with some shade which has helped. One of them is putting out new leaves like crazy. The other, more recently transplanted, got completely soaked during a storm by mistake. I replaced as much of the wet soil with dry as possible without having to completely repot again to cut down on the shock.
Since then, a few problems have begun to hit all of my jades. The first thing I noticed was tiny white spots, mostly along the edges of the leaves, which seem to wipe away. I�m very familiar with powdery mildew, but I don�t think this is it. I haven�t found much of anything on the undersides of the leaves, and haven�t noticed a sticky residue. Therefore I�m not sure it�s spider mites either. In other areas I have crusty brown spots that look like punctures, and a couple blackish spots.
All the info I have found on insecticides has been conflicting. I have found people both in favor of, and warning against, use of insecticidal soap, horticultural oil, and alcohol. So I sprayed some of the babies with the oil (Bonide says it�s safe to use on jades� we�ll see. ..), and applied alcohol with a qtip on others. I�m looking for help from a seasoned jade owner, and I have good pics of the problem leaves. I�d be grateful for any advice!

Comments (9)