Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grantgarden22

Christmas cactus and Jade grafting

Has anyone ever tried an experiment on trying to graft a christmas cactus into a jade plant or cutting? I am wanting to try this because mainly on how cool it would look, but also so see if i can get faster growth on the christmas cactus. And make a bigger plant in less time.
Grantgarden

Comments (13)

• 123Greta
    10 years ago

Hmm.... I didn't think that was possible? Although it would be neat!

• mrlike2u
    10 years ago

A genetic nightmare it would be about equivalent as having an an oak tree grow on a palm
    Good luck to you though

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

I really don't think it would work.

But if you want a big Jade faster, just pot your plant in coarse, fast-draining material, then fertilize regularly. You'll be amazed at how fast it grows.

Josh

• kaktuskris
    10 years ago

It won't work. You can't graft a cactus with something that is not a cactus. Genetically impossible. Ever wonder why we don't see real mermaids? Same reason.

Christopher

• hanzrobo
    10 years ago

I tried grafting different C. ovata cultivars together years ago, before I knew anything. No luck, cuts healed over. In any case, Crassula and cacti are not cousins.

You may be able to graft a Schlumbergera onto a Hylocereus or 'Dragon Fruit'. If it took, I would expect the results you're looking for.

• karen99
    10 years ago

I bought some Schlumbergera opuntioides (close relative of Christmas cactus) that was grafted onto Opuntia. Due to a delay in shipping, my plants arrived dead (frozen) but the seller had sold quite a few others with good feedback so it apparently worked well.

• kaktuskris
    10 years ago

Cacti can indeed be grafted to other Cacti, just as Euphorbia can be grafted to other Euphorbia. However, I have yet to hear of a successful Jade to Jade graft of any type, and of course, a Jade graft onto anything but Crassula would be impossible anyway.

Christopher

• Grantgarden2 Zone 5a/b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I realized that there has almost no success on grafting jades! But Plan on going to try grafting the Christmas cactus in a epi or a prickly pear cactus or a columer cactus.
    Grantgarden

• Clem C
    8 years ago

You can successfully graft the Christmas cactus onto another cactus, though. Grafting cactus

• Lily Furness
    3 years ago

Well as a matter of fact... We bought this beautiful jade plant a few months ago at a nursery, and there were cacti in hanging plants above it. We've been picking cactus bits off of its leaves for months. But a few days ago we found that one was actually growing on the plant!! I don't know how it managed to graft itself, but it sure does look pretty cool

• Polypompholyx
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

This is an old thread brought back to the first page but I'll post.

Lily, I'd guess those hanging cacti were epiphytes. Epiphytes have a knack for growing on things without being grafted or being parasitic. Not sure how a graft would happen from a cactus piece falling on a jade plant. Pics?

Those of you intrigued with grafting between different plant families might be interested in reading this science news article.

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    3 years ago

Would like to see a pic of the jade/cacti combo please 😊

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz