Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
corey87

Topsy turvy

Corey87
9 years ago

How can I bring this back to life. I'm new to this.

Comments (9)

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

First off, it needs to be outside. They really need sun. second what is the soil like? Have you repotted it with new soil or is it the peat moss that it came in. we need to know what you have done with it to tell you what you are doing wrong or not doing.

• Corey87
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have not repotted yet. What size pot and what soil should I use?

• DavidL.ca
    9 years ago

The leaves look like the plant has been overwatered. If you want to repot make sure the soil is dry to touch. I would say this looks like a 4" pot currently, and this is a medium sized topsy turvy, so I think a 6" pot would do. After repotting again no watering needed for a week or so then you can start to water only when soil is dry. Make sure you put it in good soil as well. These plants need very good drainage, don't use pots that have no draining holes. I use the basic 50% soil and 50% perlite mix, some people here would suggest "gritty" mix which include other ingredients like sand, gravel, pumice, lava rock and so on; but other than horticultural sand I find the other things very hard to find.

I also grow my succulents at window sill and so far they're doing great. However, if your window doesn't have very good lighting then that's a different story. My window is not south-facing but it gets good indirect light throughout the day and 3-4 hr of direct sun. If it has to be grown indoor you can think about buying growing lights as well.

Hope this helps! Check out my window sill succulent garden!

Here is a link that might be useful: My plants

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

Their are lots of conversations about soil. look into gritty mix . a quick an easy way is to use Suculent and cactus soil and add an equal part of pumice , perlite scoria, turface , Dry stall (pumice). C&S soil has peat in it but combined with the grit, it will drain. a lot of the soils that they come in is way to water retentive and when the peat dries, it gets like a brick and will not absorb the water, so it is important to get it ALL off the roots. I use a gentle hose and a wood pick. I then let the roots Callus(scab over) for three days out in the air before I put it in the dirt. I do not water it in. I will give it some water in 4-5 days.

It needs to go outside. This specific echeveria has a fair amount of cold hardiness (comparatively). I forgot to haul it in during a hard (for me) freeze and it reached 16F without damage. It was close to the house. The ones in the ground are fine too. This guy can be outside in most areas of North America at this time.

This post was edited by wantonamara on Wed, Jun 25, 14 at 23:43

• Corey87
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So should I plant this in the ground? Or jus repot in a bigger pot? Secondly I live in Illinois where it gets cold, should I being inside during those months?

• brodyjames_gw
    9 years ago

Corey, where in IL? North? Put it in a pot because it will not survive winter outdoors. Middle? Probably still in the pot. South? Might be able to make it in the ground. Gradually introduce it to the sun by starting in the shade for a couple days and move it to brighter spots over the course of approximately 10 days.

Nancy

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

NO not in the ground in Illinois. I meant it could go outside now any where in most of North america for the summer in a pot.. It is supposedly hardy to Z7 in the ground , but it is definitely hardy to Z8 (15F)definitely for short periods of time. I can't speak to it maintaining that cold like it stays cold up northeast.

• Corey87
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Everything I have heard suggest to put this plant outdoors . Where should I position it as I am concerned for it getting too much rain. During these months we recieve plenty of rainfall. Any ideals?

• Laura Robichaud
    9 years ago

After acclimating it to full sun, it loves it. Be sure it's potted in a quick-drying mix. I have mine in gritty mix. It was roughly the size of yours last year. Bananas for size reference.

This post was edited by LauraRobichaud on Thu, Jun 26, 14 at 9:16