Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
min33

second photo of indestructible

a second look...

Comments (5)

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

Does look like a Ruellia. Do the flowers only last a day?

Planto

• Min3 South S.F. Bay CA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Planto- It only flowered once so far this year- I will have to check but I think they last a little longer than a day. The leaves seem to me to be thicker, narrower and tougher than the ruellia leaves that are in the photos- why it seemed like it might be succulent. Thanks for your interest! Min

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

Min,
    Someone replied to your other post titled "Indestructible," in case you haven't checked yet.

Oh okay. Mine seemed to only last a day and then make a mess everywhere lol. As much as I liked the plant, at the same time I was happy to see it go.

The leaves do look more narrow than I've seen on Ruellia, but I don't know of all the cultivars out there. There may be one that has thinner leaves. I had one of the "normal" ones, but there are ones that are considered dwarfs. The way the stems looks like a Ruellia to me too.

If it was a succulent though, it wouldn't die back to the ground like that. When a succulent dies, it doesn't come back.

If you have any doubt, you could post a picture on the "Name That Plant" forum and see what others say. I won't think anything of it if you doubt me btw (I mean that in the politest way possible). ;) I am by no means an expert.

Planto

This post was edited by plantomaniac08 on Sun, Jun 29, 14 at 12:08

• Min3 South S.F. Bay CA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

ok planto, thanks for all the info- i'm grateful for your input. i guess mine arrived in a pot with a larger pond plant that i bought... whatever, as long as it behaves this well, stays so neat and tidy and out of the way, needs no water and flowers occasionally, it can stay. what more could i want! i will keep hoping to find one like it in the nurseries with a label and i'll let you know if i find one. min

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

Min,
    You're welcome. They are nice plants IMO, I just wouldn't recommend growing one in a container lol. I've seen them at Home Depot and local nurseries, but never at Lowes or Wal-Mart. If you have a Home Depot nearby, try checking them out. I think they sell the purple one I had (although, the inventory could vary between states).

Some folks grow them as hedges I think, as they do spread. Some say they're a nuisance because of their spreading ability. My MIL's survived snow and an ice storm. I know of one that grows "wild" next to a gas station here and only receives whatever rain we get. Which can be pretty few and far between sometimes. They do seem like pretty hardy plants. Good luck!

Planto

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting