Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hummingbird597

Pony Tail Palm (Beaucarnea recurvata) Help Please

Hummingbird597
9 years ago

I'm posting this here because from what I've been reading the care of these is closest to succulents.

Earlier this spring I bought a pot with 5 ponytail palms. I took a group of 3 and potted them (I realize now in a pot that was too big) in 50/50 moisture control potting soil and perlite. This was several weeks ago now. Over time I notice that this group was not doing as well - the caudexes (caudices?) were shriveling a bit on the 2 largest (#1 and #2). I had one several years ago that rotted, but when I felt the caudexes on these 2 they felt a bit spongy but there were no obvious soft spots or anything that felt like rot, and the trunks are also quite solid. To be safe, about 10 days ago I took out the smallest one (#3) which was fine and put it in a smaller pot with the same mix I am using for my succulents (60% perlite/40% commercial cactus mix). I repotted #1 and #2 in a new pot (unfortunately still too big!) with the succulent mix. I did not water any of them after the repotting just left them alone. Over the last 2-3 days the #1 especially but also #2 have been getting "spongier" but no distinct rot that I could find. As I have been reading up on them on this forum and elsewhere, I started to think maybe they were underwatered rather than over, and finally watered them last night. Then tonight I picked up 2 small pots intending to repot them in individual appropriate size pots still in succulent mix. When I got home, #1 looked even worse. I unpotted it and found what seemed like a softer spot and used a sharp knife to start carving it out - to my surprise there was no rot underneath! So now I have a shrivelly cut-up plant and no idea what's going on. For now I have covered the cut area copious with ground cinnamon and left it laying out on a counter to callus. I have a couple specific questions and then a series of photos illustrating what I'm talking about. They have been indoors in south facing windows the whole time.

1) how long should I leave the one I cut to dry before repotting it? When I do repot it I will leave it for at least several days.
2) I am going to repot #2 in its same mix but a smaller pot. The mix is still a bit damp from watering yesterday, should I let it dry out first?
3) both these plants (as well as another older PT that is not involved in this fiasco thankfully) have leaves that tend to bend sharply and hang down rather than curving. Is this related to the over/underwatering or just what they do?

Plant #1 barerooted, from 2 different angles:
{{gwi:578096}}
{{gwi:578097}}

Cut area on Plant #1 - it looks just a like peeled potato and is quite moist:
{{gwi:578098}}

Plant #2 in the most recent pot:
{{gwi:578099}}

A closer up pic of #2's caudex:
{{gwi:578100}}

Bent leaves on plant #2:
{{gwi:578101}}

My older plant, showing bent leaves also:
{{gwi:578102}}

Thanks to everyone who had the patience to read this far, I appreciate the help!

Comments (4)