Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19735161

A great night at my Local Plant Society

User
11 years ago

Hi All,

I just wanted to report on an interesting development. We had our last meeting of Indoor Gardening Society (NYC) for the season. Favorite Plant Night, where we show some current favorite plants. So I took 4 in to Show, but unexpectedly came home w/ a bunch more.

The favorites I took in were:

a new Hoya obovata 'Silver Spot'

Hoya chouke

Ceropegia woodii variegate (w/ white)

Haworthia limifolia

I don't have pix yet, but, I got

small Gasteria,

Dischidia (ruscifolia?)

small Crassula Hobbit (or Gollum)

an adorable sprig of Euphorbia francoisii w/ a green bloom

Euphorbia millii variegate (w/ white)

nice size Sans. bally (?)

nice Size Anthurium

Quite the haul: a perk of helping work the Plant Sale Table, take some of the unsold things home & grow them on for a several months & bring them back in the Fall to sell for the Group.

For those who have never experienced a plant society or club & live near enough to larger cities where they exist, I encourage you to see if you're near one. They're interesting meetings, informative & I've been doing this for some time, bolstered by good friends & fellow growers here as well.

Hope to get some pix taken over the weekend.

Comments (27)

• mrlike2u
    11 years ago

Good point,but do you ever read what your typing before you click on it post !

• jade_man
    11 years ago

did i miss something mrlike2u????

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

"Good point,but do you ever read what your typing before you click on it post!"

Yes. I do actually, ALL THE TIME, tho' not always w/out mistakes or a typo or 2.

To Echo Jade Man: Did I miss something too?

And your point would be???

• mrlike2u
    11 years ago

You said this: For those who have never experienced a plant society or club & live near enough to larger cities where they exist

What could you say to those who don't live in or near a city ?

Your point reads to some as only those who live in or near a city get to attend a meeting of plant growing enthusiast.

You said this in the same line :larger cities where they exist
    Meaning what ? What you could be saying is that plant growing meetings in the country side towns don't exist. This is news to me

Just just because you may have unintentionally said it, NOT all plant growing enthusiast are held in cities. YET even the ones in the country side do invite those whom have an interest in growing and may have a desire to know more about the plant that they are growing regardless of where they live.

If this is what you meant to say then you should of typed it before you hit the original posting . Then you ask for forgiveness of typos which to me is a minimal effort at best, and as said usually/ always overlooked (typos)

Personally I'm glad you got to attend a plant growing enthusiast meeting but there not just for folks who live in the cities. As you may find out one day as you go back some of them folks at that meeting you attend also live in country type towns.

One day at that very meeting you attend one of them country living people traveled a certain distance to speak to you about the plant you may want to grow.

• marguerite_gw Zone 9a
    11 years ago

Those of us who live in Ireland and love houseplants are in a kind of desert, whether we live in countryside or city. Very few people relatively speaking seem interested in houseplants. An indoor plant group sounds like a wonderful idea no matter where it is. You got nice plants, Karen, enjoy them.
    I too sometimes get out of the flowerbed on the wrong side, but I always feel better after I come to the Garden Web Houseplant Forum....the only place I can get my fix.

• Dzitmoidonc
    11 years ago

Nice haul, Karen. I understand what you mean about people who live near a large population center having a leg up on those of us in the rural parts when it comes to finding plant people. It is rare to find a plant society around me that isn't dominated by older ladies whose reaction to cacti is the same as their reaction to mice, eeek! They want to grow roses and petunias and try to get a home grown tomato by the end of June.

Or, like the one group I joined briefly, a gardening club in charge of an historical mansion. They asked for help to make the gardens historically accurate. We were told we couldn't touch the apple trees (Red Delicious) planted by a certain benefactor. The trees went unpruned for 20 years, then they asked me to bring it back. We also couldn't touch the lilacs, also unpruned, nor the tulip beds. Turns out the plants I gave them (mostly herbs also grown in Colonial gardens) were orphaned and disappeared into somebody else's garden.

The people were not evil, it's just that when you get to small towns with small garden clubs, a few people do all the work and get to run things the way they want. Pttth to those who disagree.

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    11 years ago

Karen,

How much fun for you! I'm happy for seeing the plant love shared.

Everyone,

If you have a chance to attend a plant club meeting, let alone join one, please do so. You'll find some great experiences, and then there's the people and plants to gush on about.

mrlike2u,

Did you put vinegar into your cornflakes this morning? What a contentious post over a subject which should have at least been quibble-free, let alone an event which I personally was happy for her having attended, never mind getting those new plants. I hope you're able to chase your sourpuss away.

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Mr.Like2u,

"What could you say to those who don't live in or near a city ?"

Why don't I let you take care of that?

Vinegared corn flakes indeed. Seems very invested in contentiousness.

Gee, you might have used the opportunity to back me up in encouraging planterly/gardening enthusiasts' interests, but I guess you'd rather ride my case.

Pls. read again more closely this time:

"then you ask for forgiveness of typos which to me is a minimal effort at best..."

I'd never ask your forgiveness for anything! Your opinion is irrelevant to me, particularly when you show such interest in being contrary & little interest in being planterly.

There's nothing on your Member Page or Trade Page or much of anything: you don't appear to contribute much really except to bust my chops, so if it makes you feel better, have at it.

To everybody else: so glad you understood my point & enjoyed my happiness w/ me in both the meeting & the new plants.

Jeff: it was moderated by Patti Lee of all people, who has mellowed considerably w/ time (tho' I'll be sure to never mention that to Barad again, not sure if I'm going).

Just as cool as all the plants I got, I only spent $9 for them.

$4 for the Euph milii varieg. tip cutting

$2 for the Euph francoisii in bloom (2-3" sprig), supposedly a rare miniature form from Madagascar, which broke off someone's plant which was being shown.

$1 small Gasteria

$1 Crassula hobbit or Gollum (abt 4")

$1 for the Anthurium (10" tall maybe)

I feel so rich in new plants, I can't wait to finish work to go home & play w/ them, I feel a bit like an 8 yr. old in that!

Dzit: Yes, you understood exactly. I hadn't intended anything about the smaller town stuff, tho' I know just what you mean.

Excellent example recently on the PBS show Downton Abbey where only the Dowager Countess ever won (or was ALLOWED to win) their annual rose show. Point was also made she wasn't the one doing the actually gardening. I understood exactly, thanks.

To everyone else wherever you are, if you can attend/join, do, at least check it out! You'll likely have a good time.

• sherryinmaine
    11 years ago

shucks, wish there was an indoor gardening society here!

I would love it, and save money maybe too. Would be nice to discuss plants with others face to face instead of just on computer . .. .

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    11 years ago

Boy, you scored big time, whoo hoo, way to go :).

Annette

• nikki702
    11 years ago

Sounds like you got some great plants Karen :-)

• mrlike2u
    11 years ago

What could you say to those who don't live in or near a city ?"

Why don't I let you take care of that?

Simple reason why you shouldn't let me take care of it.... You make the bed you lay in it. Secondly I'm not your maid just another plant growing enthusiast whom doesn't live in a city.

The question was easy do you read what you type before you hit post. When you wanted clarification or a second comment how it could be read from me you got it It's not my problem that you want only confess to typos and not confess how it may read to others whom may not be in your GW clique.

To change the focus toward what I may or may not be having for breakfast and with what is none of your or anyone's business as this has nothing to do about growing any kind of plant.

This is how it sounds now: I guess this could help those who are not in your GW clique feel a bit more welcome in the GW forum only I don't know if they exist

Enjoy your plants and by all means go to the plant enthusiasm growing meetings. Moral of it all is have some respect for all who want to take any efforts of growing a better plant not just a few.

• Colleen E
    11 years ago

Well.

I really look forward to the pictures of these awesome plants. Super great score; I know I'd be really excited!

11 years ago

I suspect English is not your first language, so before you correct someone's punctuation, you might want to improve your own.

Never mind how well you write English, I understand you loud and clear. You, sir, were rude and you had no right to be.

Please - you're in a hole, so don't ask for a shovel.

My breakfast metaphor was apt because it was early in the morning, but you seem to be grumpy a good portion of the time. I'm sorry about that, but there's no reason to bring your bad manners here.

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I don't know what your problem is, I don't have a clique, nor want nor need one. It's you who started all this. I just was on a happy, sharing, inviting all comers thread.

Perhaps you're not a native speaker of English & don't understand what that 'vinegared breakfast' comment means. I'd understand that much more than if you're just surly & bitter.

Try starting a thread of your own, then you can say whatever you like over there, in whatever manner you wish & you can work to control that instead of me. Pls. go there & do as you wish & leave me alone.
    Any & all are welcome to participate here in any way as long as it's civil. You appear to be losing track of that, nor do you seem to have a sense of humor. Are you sure you're not Steve J?

Don't come muddy up the waters around me & then cry little self pity tears that you seem to feel left out.

Treat w/ respect as you're asking & go find a REAL problem to worry about.

• joeplant
    11 years ago

I understand what pirate girl is saying. I live in a city of fifty thousand population and I would have to drive about a hundred miles to find a c&s society in a way larger city.and if your living in the country Mrlike2u how close is your c&s to you?

• luvidaho_2010
    11 years ago

There is a garden club in my tiny town. I suspect most of the members are retired since they meet once a month, at noon . I have not been able to attend as of yet. It seems that I have been scheduled to work each meeting day since I heard about the club. Like sherryinmaine, I also would like to visit with people face to face about plants.
    PG, sounds like the 'silver spot' is racking up quite a bit of travel time!
    Tami

• plantomaniac08
    11 years ago

Wow... it's amazing to see how fast someone can become so negative in response to the generosity of someone else. I guess that's what you get when you mix something with vinegar. ;)

I'm with teatree, I'd love to see photos of your haul Karen. Thanks for sharing the post, I wish I had such an organization around here.

Planto

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

Me thinks that Mrlike2you is guilty of projecting his resentments and prejudices on Pirate girls words. He read something in those words that only he read. What ever it was was , it was in his head and not on this forum till he created it.

I am 35 miles from the nearest C&S society. I consider myself close enough and a lucky person but yes it is still too far for me to get to it on a routine bases. I do go to their annual show when I can make it. I come here to commune with my thorny folks. I share my cactus with all who come by and where ever I wander.

• Colleen E
    11 years ago

We don't get to see Karen's plants nearly often enough! I consider it a special occasion.

Colleen

• Beachplants
    11 years ago

Heck, I live so far from a C&S society, I'd have to move a continent! That's is why I belong to forums. You are my C&S society! LOL!

Karen, would love to see more of your plants as well. I think it is great to have input and discussions (in person) like that.
    Rian

• nat_lia
    11 years ago

pirate girl, you found some nice plants with great prices!! Can't wait to see the pictures too :)

Natalia

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

Congrats Karen.

I am happy for you. Yes, anxiously waiting pictures.

MIke

• marguerite_gw Zone 9a
    11 years ago

It seems to me that now and then I do see very rude posts here, and they don't all come from the same poster. I understand how people sometimes can feel left out and that there are cliques on forums, but often it's a subjective impression; when people post for a long time on forums and know one another by first names and have an idea of everybody else's preferences, it's easy to perceive that as an exclusive group. I don't belong to any group anywhere and don't want to - I enjoy all the posts and appreciate when there is good humour and tolerance of others, coming from a society where that was often quite lacking at times with more serious outcomes than a bit of a huff on a forum.

How about we all wipe the slate clean, forget the past and enjoy all our wonderful plants in the present. And I don't apologise if that sounds like a lecture, I love y'all.

11 years ago

Perhaps someone thought it was Grouchy Marx who said 'I wouldn't belong to a general plant / cactus and succulent society which would have me as a member'.

• scsva
    11 years ago

I, for one, enjoyed hearing about Karen's night with the plant society. So keep posting PG!!

Susan

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well thanks everybody for encouraging me (as they say at Hoya Forum, for enabling me).

Hey Susan,

Yeh, yea, we know, you're just in it for the Hoyas ;>)

I've got some quick pix. I'll start a new thread to post them.