Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phodge_gw

Sick jade plants photo #4

Phodge
9 years ago

Leaf that's lost its color. Sorry to keep these coming one at a time, but I still can't find how to post multiple images in one message.

Comments (9)

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

Toss it.

In order to save space on the Forum, you can upload images to a photohosting site like photobucket or flickr, then paste the links into this message box. Or....you can actually just respond to your own Thread - it's a common practice here - and add single images per reply. Folks would much prefer that :-)

Josh

• Phodge
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, Josh. Again I apologize for taking up so much space on the forum. I have been stymied by photo hosting sites in the past, and it's unclear how responding to my own thread would reduce the number of messages. Sorry, not too swift at this stuff. If you could walk me through that process with baby steps, it would be great.

Re: your advice to toss the leaves, I'd like to get some advice on how to stop this process, if that's possible. Since a brand-new leaf is showing the dimpling, it doesn't seem that getting rid of the bad leaves is going to solve the problem.

9 years ago

Here's an example. I'll post a pic in this reply:

9 years ago

And then I'll post another pic in this message.
    In this way, you can just respond to your own Thread, rather than starting a new Thread for each image. For reference, that's my sister's "Crosby's Compact" that I've been pinching for her. Pic taken one month apart....and obviously at different times of the day.

Josh

9 years ago

I have no idea why your plant's leaves are disfigured.
    You could try treating it with a systemic.

What sort of potting mix are you using, and where are the Jades located?

Josh

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    9 years ago

Sorry but I have no idea what the problem is with your plants, but I certainly agree with Josh in that you need to get rid of those leaves asap. How often do you water and feed? A pic of the whole plant/group of whole plants may also help us.

In some of the pics you posted some of the stems look rather weak and drawn out between the leaves (etiolated) which makes me think the plants are stressed which can make them susceptible to many ailments? One possible remedy would be to prune them back and feed regularly which should make them produce lots more new, compact and hopefully disease free new growths....just my opinion and what I would do if they were mine you understand...but again a pic of the whole plant/plants would be best.

Gill UK

• Phodge
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, Josh and Gill. Here is a photo of the plants. The one on the left I inherited with my house, which I bought a year ago. It was in even sadder shape then, had not been kept in an optimum spot from what I could tell. However, it started to send out lots of new leaves once I got it into direct sun. The one on the right has always been mine, and was basically in good shape. I water pretty much as needed; I know overwatering means death. I don't fertilize them at all -- didn't think jades needed fertilizer. I honestly don't know what the potting mix is for either of them.

In rummaging through threads on GardenWeb I did finally come across some pertinent ones re: jade plants and have concluded that I need to have a look at the roots. And I've just about resigned myself to whacking them both severely. The photos showing the results of various whackings gave me courage. Also, the plants are big enough that I think they'll need to be whacked before I can manage to get them out of the pots to look at the roots.

Before I whack, though, I'll wait to see if you have any further advice based on the photo. It's just so puzzling to have so many different types of symptoms showing.

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    9 years ago

Hi there! Lets see...in actual fact I think you have already answered your own question without realising it!!! Those plants look as if they could do with a 'good square meal' and the fact that you are unsure about what they are potted in makes me think they have been in the same mix for some time maybe? Both those factors would stress any plant and could be the cause of the odd looking leaves...just my ideas ;)
    You also say one put out new leaves when moved to a brighter place proving they do not take well to low light conditions.
    They will happily grow in, and do prefer a fast draining mix, as anything with peat or water retaining soil could be problematic for them.
    I think it best if you do take a look 'down below' and see what the roots look like and get back to the forum if you need to.
    I personally would also cut them back and re-pot in a fresh fast draining mix as they respond rather well to a cut back ( I have just done 2 of my large ones and posted about them on here). Their thin drooping stems and sparse leaves indicate a lack of light, food and water.
    I hope they will do well for you so keep in touch and I'm sure the Jade experts will chime in with their suggestions soon, good luck.

Gill UK

9 years ago

In addition to what Gill wrote, remove those drip-trays/saucers so that the mix can drain and get more oxygen down low.

Josh