Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kittiekat_gw

YOU and Your Plants!

KittieKAT
9 years ago

Decided to make a thread for people to post picture's of themselves holding there favorite plant/s!
Either holding them next to there faces or taking a silly picture with one of there plant's... funny faces AND tongues showing are optional LOL!
I'LL be posting a pic of ME and MY plants real soon! Whose gonna join ME! !!

Add the name of your plant in your post, and say whatever you'd like about the plant...when YOU got it...why YOU like it...etc....etc... funny stories are welcome!

Comments (85)

• hijole
    9 years ago

KittieKat, its called haters, lol... Everyone enjoys looking at pictures except the haters.
    Enjoyed looking at the pictures, we had started this until the cactus shades were misplaced. We were taking pics with the shades on and that came to an end. Maybe I'll place mine on here.

Ok heres one that isn't my plant but I'm next to one, this picture was taken while visiting Catalina island a couple years ago.

Greg

• hijole
    9 years ago

Ok heres the picture with the cactus shades, Has ANYBODY seen them?

Greg

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    9 years ago

Greg,
    The last picture with the shades are your best. Way too cool.
    Kitty,
    Way to go.
    I'm too shy. Wait, I think that's a song title? Wait till I get my make over.
    Stush

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

Man, and I still feel terrible that I was the last to mail those glasses before attempting to send them north of the border to Jeffrey....I don't know if the package was lost in transit (Sacramento warehouse) or confiscated due to some of the dried peppers that I included for Jeff. I would have thought that I'd be contacted if I'd violated some Canadian rule.....

Greg, did the second set of glasses also disappear???

Anyhow, on topic, I don't take many pics of myself, and even fewer with plants.

Josh

• pirate_girl
    9 years ago

Josh,

Why were they sent BACK to Jeff when he'd already been on that thread, much earlier on? With the shades on.

• KittieKAT
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lol while the search for the missing cacti glasses continue.....

Couldn't fit myself between these guys but thought I'd share anyways, how cute a snow pole cacti family!

• KittieKAT
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Also wanted to add a thank YOU to all who have kind words to share and share THERE pictures, Greg i would have tried to steal that cacti and Bundgy cord it to the back of my scooter! Wouldn't that HAVE been a sight hahaha!

This post was edited by KittieKAT on Sat, Jun 14, 14 at 20:38

• nomen_nudum
    9 years ago

Yep it's a cactus and succulent forum none of which would fair well if given popularity

• 100mphtortoise
    9 years ago

I'm not trying to add to the drama but my words are not bad and I'm still getting deleted and no one will tell me why I've never had anything but good things to say on here up until now. Please tell me why.

• pirate_girl
    9 years ago

To ask GardenWeb directly, pls. scroll all the way down the page, look for 'About Us' & then click at 'Contact Us'. That should put you in direct contact w/ them & you can ask.

9 years ago

100 mile,
    Can't say why but it sometimes happens to me. I type out a long answer to someone and nothings posted. So I just give up for a while then try again. It could be me but after doing this for years, I can't see what mistacks I could be making.
    Stush

9 years ago

Karen,
    I was sending the glasses to Jeff, as he hadn't yet received them at the time.

Josh

*edit - typo

This post was edited by greenman28 on Sun, Jun 15, 14 at 15:20

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    9 years ago

Karen,

I'm pictured in the second set of glasses, which went off to Tom and you, IIRC.

• 100mphtortoise
    9 years ago

Thanks for the input stush and pirate girl much apreciated,

• pirate_girl
    9 years ago

Thanks Josh & Jeff, guess I'm confused & forgot there even WAS a 2nd set of the cactus shades.

You're welcome 100mph, hope you got some answers.

• hijole
    9 years ago

No way or room for any face space here so just enjoy the barrel. Never mind the cactus shades for a moment & just throw on some shades and take a picture guys. Its kinda like getting in the water, just jump in!

KittieKat, lol... I know what you mean, it crossed my mind several times and then just figured, I'm about to get in an accident up in here, then my better sense kicked in ...

Greg

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

Hehe, I think the OP's intentions were for people to post pictures of themselves with their favorite plant/plants. Not many biters though. I'm not one to put a picture of myself online. I like my anonymity. ;)

Planto

• jojosplants
    9 years ago

LOL!
    I'm the same way planto.... My Face Book profile is a Daisy. lol...

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

JoJo,
    Lol, well... that's about the only thing you'll see of me (my FB picture). I set it to one of our wedding pictures. But, it's not a closeup so you'd have a hard time making out our faces. ;)

Planto

• jojosplants
    9 years ago

You and I are a lot alike Planto! :-)

• kaktuskris
    9 years ago

Me with a tree Opuntia at my honey's mother's place...

• jojosplants
    9 years ago

Hi Christopher!
    Great to see you! ;-) Nice picture and green yard all around..
    I didn't know there was a tree variety. cool..

Well as for me.. I just am not comfortable taking pics period! I'm always the one with the camera or the one avoiding it period! lol...

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

JoJo,
    I take that as a compliment! You seem like someone I'd love to hang with. Why is it most of us live so far apart? :/

Planto

• jojosplants
    9 years ago

Planto..
    Yes, do take that as a compliment. :-) I think we'd get along great and I'd love to be able to hang out with you too. The miles apart do get frustrating when we meet nice people online. :-/

JoJo

9 years ago

Chris,
    Those paddle cactus, they got to be trimmed that was and with you holding your hand against one means it has a hard woody bark. How old are they?

I always hated my picture taken. I though I didn't look good enought. Now I just don't care.

The nice part of not knowing people by pictures is that we make friends here not knowing race, creed or religion. Showing plant people are all alike inside.

• hijole
    9 years ago

Wow! so how many witnessed that disapearing ACT! I posted something on here someone responded to the comment and POOF!!! Now it's gone...

I don't mind that it's gone I almost wished I could of retracted what I wrote, I'm just wondering who does the editing on this site?

Greg

• jojosplants
    9 years ago

I noticed, I just thought maybe I needed more coffee.. lol..

• hijole
    9 years ago

Lol... Jojo, I saw it while I was drinking COFFEE! then I thought... Didn't I write something right about there... um.. then another drink... huh! Lol.. time for a MONSTER!

Greg

• jojosplants
    9 years ago

LOL!!! No.. No MONSTER! They are junk!

I had to stop and wrestle the puppy for a skein of yarn in the middle of reading this morning.. so I wasn't sure what I had seen. Thank goodness he didn't unravel my whole project. LOL!

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    9 years ago

Greg, mods working...

I am on my 3rd cup of coffee, started to rain & maybe a wind/storm coming. Nothing as bad as some of you had recently, no hailstorm. Hope it stays that way. Just hauled all succs inside, we had some nice rain yesterday, they don't need any more water.

What are you knitting jojo?

Rina

• jojosplants
    9 years ago

We just had a tiny bit of rain! And in Arizona, we get excited! LOL! Monsoons will start soon, but my plants are fairly protected so they just stay where they are.

I'm crocheting a dress for a new baby in our family, a week old tomorrow. :-) My pup is worse than the cat!! He stole the yarn out of my craft room while I was in the kitchen! LOL!

Usually on garden web if someone reports trouble in a post, the mods watch it after that.

• hijole
    9 years ago

Not drinking Monster was just exaggerating about needing to wake up.
    No rain for Cali but the sun is dif shinning :)

Rina, I hope your plants fair well, and you get just the right amount of water.

Does anyone use or have rain barrels? I have one and that baby is running LOW... We could use some summer rain, I just love the smell when it rains in the summer, I don't even know how I remember its been so long lol.. But I do.

Greg

• jojosplants
    9 years ago

Ok.. brew some more coffee.. ;-)

Rina~ sounds like some tough weather! Hard to imagine hail this time of year.. but then again, it's 100 degrees where I'm at. Hope all fairs well!

Our monsoon season is starting (15th was start date-August) which means rough storms, down pours, but here and there. We do need the rain!

I have a rain barrel and love it!! 55 gal! It ran dry recently / I used up what was left of the winter rain. I save milk jugs and fill them this time of year after a rain, one storm will fill it and I can't stand to see the water go to waste!

I love the smell too! We call it the wet dirt smell.. lol.. and it's not as often as we'd like that's for sure.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    9 years ago

You guys get more sun & heat (jojo, Greg), maybe we have little more rain?
    I have bunch of rain barrels (5) & just got a large container from a friend's friend, that was used in vinery. I think they are used to hold water too, huge thing with wire cage.
    Still smell like wine, lol.

Rina

• 0nametaken0
    9 years ago

I guess thats the up of having them in a balcony. No worries about rain, we do have a severe ts chance today in s. ontario. Im worried about the wind gusts, I have many small pots with seedlings outside and am worried they will get blown over. So I have my eye on the radar for the day. If there is a strong, defined thunderstorm line coming for Toronto at a good speed, Im moving them into my living room, which is about 30 cm from their current spot. :)

This whole show yourself thread is normal. Just about every forum has them. Even if one person is hogging the thread, so what? Atleast its keeping the thread alive. I usually dont like the whole show yourself threads and never post there because I have nothing to say. But I guess its moving a little off topic.

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

JoJo,
    Thanks. *blushes*

Greg,
    I noticed the post had disappeared too. I also replied, asking if her Opuntia had always been that wrinkled looking. I wonder what happened (although I'm sure I don't really want to know the answer).

Planto

9 years ago

Here's an updated image of the greenman...with the Christmas cactus that's the same age as I am :-)

Josh

• hijole
    9 years ago

Planto, Now you see it, now you DON'T! Boy one day they might just pay us a visit since they have all our INFO. if you guy's don't see me on here for a while you know what cudda happened. Lol.. I think..

Josh, Very good to see you on here with Christmas spirit, I mean plant.

WOW the same age? I bet it looks nice durring the blooming season.
    And again, I'm glad you showed up to the party.

Rina, Right now I'm more concerned with getting more water in my barrels than having sun shine 0r maybe you can sell us your full rain barrels :) that's alot of water to have on hand.
    Greg

• jojosplants
    9 years ago

Josh,
    That's a great picture! And WOW! That plant is just beautiful! I can't keep one of them alive for a week, let alone years. I gave up on them. lol

Rina,
    I'm not sure of our average rain fall here in Tucson, Az. But we are quite often in a state of drought! I think about 10" a year if were lucky. lol.. I'll have to research it.

There have even been a few yrs where it was so bad in the summer water was not allowed to be used to wash cars, and we were only allowed to water gardens and such 3 times a week for about 2 months! The whole city was under watch and subject to huge fines if busted.

• kaktuskris
    9 years ago

Greg, I see what you mean, brother.

I made a rather innocuous comment which was deleted but that is fine.

Christopher

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

Josh,
    Wowzers...
    Greg,
    Lol.

JoJo,
    You and me both. I have a friend who has holiday cacti that grow like weeds... add those to my list of "I can't grow" plants.

Planto

9 years ago

Hey, folks!
    yeah, the Christmas cactus and I have both gotten a bit too much sun in the past few weeks! :-) I have the plant in the shade now and I'll hit it with some fertilizer when next I water. Greg, it looks amazing during the blooming season.

Jojo, you could grow one of these. Bark, that's all you need.

Josh

• jojosplants
    9 years ago

I tried that Josh.. Bark with a little pumice and killed it. lol

9 years ago

...Next you've got to try screened bark, screened perlite, and a pinch of potting mix....with some Osmocote mixed in, too.

Josh

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

Josh,
    So, what are you saying? JoJo can grow one but I can't? :P

Planto

• jojosplants
    9 years ago

Next? Does that mean I'm going shopping? lol...

• hijole
    9 years ago

Josh I know you mix alot of bark for your plants and I've tried it on my orchids with some success, are you saying or do u think it would be ok for the Epi's

Planto, don't think like that bro, if you're on this forum you have to believe that you can grow anything... Lol.. almost. (jojo)

OK... I think were about ready for another picture of one of the garden member's and by the way where has KittieKat been in the last two days??? Here kittie kittie.. Lol..

Greg

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

JoJo,
    Lol.

Greg,
    Haha, ty! You can call me Sista though. ;) I also was wondering where KK has been.

Planto

This post was edited by plantomaniac08 on Tue, Jun 17, 14 at 21:24

• jojosplants
    9 years ago

Josh has never steered me wrong :-) He's been helping me over the years so I will have to give it another try with what he suggested. :-)

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

JoJo,
    You'll have to show off your holiday cactus when you get another one then. I just know it'll look great like the rest of your plants.

I think my failure in growing them was due to the wrong potting mix. This was before I knew there was such a thing for holiday cacti, so maybe I'll try again some day too. I've seen Josh's holiday cactus before so I know they have the potential to thrive in that bark mixture (moreso than the stuff I'd put them in).

Unfortunately the INN is closed right now due to the fact that I've run out of space (oh no!), but there's always a house. A large house with a ton of windows. *nods*

Planto