Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hanzrobo

All Play and No Work...

hanzrobo
10 years ago

Just kidding. Work, play, I can't tell the difference anymore. I've been busier than usual lately; haven't been posting much. Here's why...

Dirt!
{{gwi:578779}}

Organized Dirt. Used that 4x4 to pound the ground underneath each paver before I leveled each with sand.
{{gwi:578780}}

Keepum them weeds down
{{gwi:578781}}

Frame is as Frame does
{{gwi:578782}}
{{gwi:578783}}

She's got Legs, She Knows How to Use Them.
{{gwi:578784}}

Like this...
{{gwi:578785}}

bottom shelf
{{gwi:578786}}

Gravel. Oh, my back!
{{gwi:578787}}

Push gravel around for a while
{{gwi:578788}}

finish bottom shelf
{{gwi:578790}}

put 6 mil plastic on
{{gwi:578792}}

shade cloth, up and over
{{gwi:578793}}

Front and back attached, summer sowing commenced... Victory is mine!
{{gwi:578794}}

Comments (15)

• ChasingCenturies (Arizona 9b)
    10 years ago

Nice job. Bet it was so much fun you're bummed it's done. ;-)

• rosemariero6
    10 years ago

I love your tutorials, Ryan! And I've missed you around here! Looks like the fun begins! :)

• bob61
    10 years ago

A new greenhouse is always fun galore. Looks like trash can might be worth going through.

Bob

• TT, zone 5b MA
    10 years ago

Now THAT is cool.

Tom

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    10 years ago

Well, it's a lot nicer than mine! How did you bend the roof PVC... or did you purchase it that way? Also, the wood is cedar? Around here cedar is too pricy so we use treated wood products.

Yes, once the project is done, you always want another!

This post was edited by bikerdoc5968 on Thu, Jul 11, 13 at 9:14

• hanzrobo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, y'all!

GS, I would be bummed, but it's not exactly done. I'm not worried; we're never really done, right?

Ro, Thanks, I still skim/lurk even when I don't have time to post. The fun begins, indeed! I already have 30 pots of Dinteranthus sprouting, another 30 pots of choice Lithops and about 15 new pots of Argyroderma. That's just to start. In September I'll be sowing about 300 different types of Conophytum... crazy, me?

Bob, hahaha! You're not the only one who's noticed my trash can. It's full of rich compost that I stacked up about 2 years ago - layers of vegetables and garden waste between layers of sifted dirt. It was just sitting there looking like a trash can so I started putting plants in it and they love the nutrients. It needs to go, though.

Tom, Thanks! The first pic was taken June, 2, the last pic taken yesterday so, 5 weeks? Whew! I hadn't counted until just then. Last time it took at least twice as long and I didn't even have to contend with dirt or gravel! I did hit it pretty hard this time, though; plus duplicating is easier than inventing.

Howard, the frame is all 1" schedule 40 PVC. For the roof, I used 1/2". It bends with not too much force, just the right amount. The hardware is an interesting fix, though. It goes from 45ú's to a short piece of 1"PVC, to a small section of 3/4" PVC which has thinner walls, finally to the 1/2" PVC which slides in loosely to the 3/4". The planks are sold as "whitewood" and I believe the 4x4's were Douglas Fir. I'm just hoping the termites won't like the taste of imadacloprid.

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    10 years ago

Nice work, Ryan. I used 1/2" for all of mine and wish now I would have used at lease 3/4". I designed mine to be deconstructed in the fall for storage. The long horizontal pieces detach and I leave the vertical frames intact. I use black irrigation tubing to attach the plastic covering.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    10 years ago

Nothing like progress pix. Five weeks is quite the hustle...sorta like von Ryan's express...for that much work.

Very nicely done.

tj

• squishyplant
    10 years ago

What degree of shadecloth are you using? Awesome job too btw!!
    Matthew

• stephanie_kay
    10 years ago

You did a wonderful job, looks great!

• greendale
    10 years ago

Awesome job, just one thing - You ate all the oranges even before you finish the project.:)

• hanzrobo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Howard. I looked at that black tubing but it seemed like it might be a stretch on 1", plus the roll was around $50. I made clips out of 1.25" PVC, cut them on a table saw. $6 and 2 hours later, I had 30 clips. Still have all my fingers too.

TJ, hahaha! Sinatra. Indeed. Gracias.

Matthew, it's 40% from G ree n h ous e M egasto re. Doesn't fray when cut, and thanks:)

Thank you, Stephanie:)

GD, those oranges didn't stand a chance.

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    10 years ago

Just in case there is a desire to replace the grip clamps and save some fingers, try these places:
    http://flexpvc.com/cart/agora.cgi?product=PVC-Snap-Clamps
    http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/product/grip-clamps/hobby-diy
    http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/product/snap-clamps/hobby-diy

You may find those fingers come in handy for things like pollinating Haworthia or Gasteria leaf propagation or just feeding your face....LOL

This post was edited by bikerdoc5968 on Fri, Jul 12, 13 at 19:36

• Beachplants
    10 years ago

Great job! Matter of time with all the babies! Looks great!

• nil13
    10 years ago

It may be too late, but might I recommend one little change to the benches? You have the end grain of the 4x4 touching the ground. It will suck up water that way. The solution is to take a little piece of 2x4 laid on it's side under each leg. Pressure treated 2x4 is even better.