Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wantonamara

New acquisitions and new questions.

I have been wandering afar without any restraints and brought home some goodies. First one or two I know, and know how to treat them. The third is represented as Fuzzy Prickly Pear.Opuntia 'Fuzzy'. I am getting no bites on Ms Google. Has any one here know it or know its parentage or its hardiness. It is a beauty. Also the Epyphylum looking thing is a puzzler. any knowledge there would be appreciated also. This store has good stuff but crummy on the names.

Aloe haworthioides

{{gwi:579353}}

Echinocereus pulchellus

{{gwi:579354}}

Opuntia 'Fuzzy'

{{gwi:579355}}

{{gwi:579356}}

Thanks in advance, Mara

What the heck is this??? It looks kind of like a real stiff and curly epiphylum. The lady who is often wrong said it was a Cereus. I could not find it.

{{gwi:579358}}

Comments (16)

• Beachplants
    10 years ago

Love the fuzziness! Aloe is a personal fav.

• laura1
    10 years ago

the last one: Epiphyllum guatemalense "curly"?

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    Original Author
    10 years ago

THANKS!! Laura1. I ran into the name E.guatemalensis monstrosa ' curly white night' but it might even be curlier than this one. E. Gguatemalensis 'monstrose' which seems badly written with needless quotation marks. BUt I think we have a winner. Thank you.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Does any one out there have any info on mr fuzzy???? Help me here! I need to pot him up.

• Brandon Smith
    10 years ago

I'm not sure if fuzzy has the same preferences as a cacti my mother brought me back from Florida that looks very similar only not fuzzy. It had no roots when I got it so I put it in a vase full of water and let it sit for a month or so. The roots grew like crazy and were almost a foot long. Then I took it out if the water cut the roots by 2/3 and potted it in normal potting mix which is all I had. Within days is sprouted a new lobe and now after only a month in dirt it's more than half way to full size!

That's my experence though and I know nothing about these.

• Enterotoxigenic00
    10 years ago

Ohhh, love the fuzzy, I've never seen one.
    The cuttings I received from you have taken hold
    and have sprouted new growth.
    Karen

• ChasingCenturies (Arizona 9b)
    10 years ago

Dunno if this is the same plant...

Here is a link that might be useful: Ponytail Opuntia

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    Original Author
    10 years ago

GS, it sounds like that. I can't see a picture and nothing gets pulled up on google with that name either.It must be rare if Ms. Google has not heard of it.

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    10 years ago

Mara,

Since you do well with the other Aloes, A. h. shouldn't present any problems although it's more sensitive than other Aloes to the cold and less-than-full-sun is ideal. That's all I can remember from having grown it many moons ago.

10 years ago

@wantonamara: You can't see the pics at the link I posted? Well, here is one of 'em.

{{gwi:579359}}

• maark23 TX/8a
    10 years ago

I would take a cutting or two and grow it in a container as backups, and then the rest of the plant in the ground. Most opuntia's are pretty hardy here in the winter.

Mark

This post was edited by Maark23 on Sat, Aug 3, 13 at 18:12

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    10 years ago

'Most Opuntias are hardy here? Where is here?

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You took the words right out of my mouth . Where is here? I heard that they thought it might be hardy to around 20F which would mean that I would have to protect it occasionally and possibly loose it an a huge cold front. That is what shovels are for. I lost an 8 ' O. cochenellifera, and a bunch of opuntias during an unusually hard freeze a couple of years ago (12F). O ficas indica is hardy to just above 15. It came back from the ground.

@ GS, Thanks I went again and the link did show it. Interesting discussion. Mine looks to be a bit different. These pads are flat elongated but more of the classic wide paddle form associated with opuntia, a darker green, The pony tails were spaced farther apart, but all in all, definitely similar. I have contacts on flicker that are involved in the Mexican cactus scene. maybe , I should shake their tree for information.

@ Karen, Your cactus are also rooting and showing growth. Thank you again. Give me a couple of years and I might have some spare pads of this one , but taking into account that every person that passed me as I made my way to the car, asked me where were this plants in the store and if it was the last one, this plant will be making its way into the trade in a hurry. I think that it was grown somewhere near by because others had been munched on by the dreaded cactus coreid bug. I do not think that it is as much of a pest in Arizona and ponts west as it is here. I could be mistaken..

10 years ago

You may do just as well posting up at cactiguide.com.

• maark23 TX/8a
    10 years ago

Sorry. I live in El Paso,Tx zone 8a.

Mark

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    Original Author
    10 years ago

@ Maark. Now I know where here is LOL. Hi el Paso Maaaaaaaark! There is your formal hello. There are quiet a few opuntias that come up from Mexico that are much more fragile. We had quite the decimation of some of our opuntias with that one freeze. I lost a beautiful O. glosseliniana that had long deflexed needles and a beautiful purple pad that I got from a great collector,. Land Conservator, park runner and gardener in San An. It turned to complete mush. Made me cry, it did. You get a drier cold out there. Our dirt can have moisture and the combination can be hard. Most big bend cactus survive at my place. Things live in Tuscon and north of Tucson that have a hard time here.

@ GS.I have not signed up there yet. The two sites that I am a part of do take a lot of my time but NOONE has responded over on XW surprisingly. I did forget to post the photos at first. things are really busy and I am not all focused. Maybe it is time to make the plunge.