Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wineandlobos

Cholla Cactus question

wineandlobos
16 years ago

There are lots and lots of cholla cactus growing wild down the road from my sub-division,Im not sure what kinda cholla cactus they are but most of them are about 4 feet tall,If I cut a large branch off of them and stick it in the ground will it grow,is there anything I should do first.Oh yeah do they grow fruit and are they edible.

Comments (10)

• webkat5
    16 years ago

Chollas are members of the Opuntia genus....

Allow the branch to callus over (about a week) before planting it...

Select a main stem with most of its appendages at the tip if possible. Then, once cured, plant the majority of the main stem in the ground.

• adp_abq
    16 years ago

They are tree chollas (opuntia imbricata). I took a segment off of one I saw out in the west mesa and planted it this spring. It already sprouted 2 new 'limbs'.

• wineandlobos
    Original Author
    16 years ago

adp abq----did you plant it as soon as you cut it off?

• webkat5
    16 years ago

I allowed mine to callous over before planting them...

• flattie
    16 years ago

This plant can be massaged into a small tree\shrub. I have seen some single stemmed versions in well-watered sites in the foothills with trunks of 3 to 4 inches. Trim it to grow a single trunk. I don't believe the fruit is edible, either way its not like the prickly pears. Nice purple flowers in the spring. It will root from cuttings. No water for a while after planting the cutting.

• adp_abq
    16 years ago

wineandlobos:

No. I let it dry for about a week. That seems to be the general rule of thumb when taking cuttings from cactus. I've successfully done this with prickly pear as well.

• wineandlobos
    Original Author
    16 years ago

well I clipped some,I got a branch that had flowers I think about to bloom,I put it in the ground but I guess I'll pull it out and let it dry,I broke a pad off of a prickly pear and planted that pad about a 2months ago and its just now starting to produce a little pad.I also did this with the purple prickly pear and the ocotillo,but nothing yet,but those have only been there a few weeks,but I like the shrub/tree idea for the cholla, I'll have to try that.

• flattie
    16 years ago

I meant single stemmed for 12 to 18 inches above the ground before it branches out; these won't ever really be trees although they can grow pretty tall if forced. They just get kind of cool in their old age if they have some sort of a trunk to them rather than just sprouting from a clump. They are called tree cholla...There are nice specimens in the northern Sandia foothills.

• debystabler_yahoo_com
    16 years ago

Can I plant it in a pot, or does it need to grow in the ground? (I'm in Zone 4)

• fredders2_gmail_com
    13 years ago

I JUST BOUGHT ONE OFF EBAY AND THEY APPEAR TO BE SPROUTING NEW SHOOTS. NOW THE QUESTION IS WHAT AND WHEN TO FERTIZE AND HOW FAST DO THE GROW? IT IS MY INTENTION TO PLANT OUTSIDE BY MAY 2011.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH