Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My Siberian Jade trees

Posted by Oks2n2 1 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 13, 14 at 1:36

I have some usual Jade trees. They grow as can at my conditions: a little sun and cool temperatures in winter.
My crassula Obliqua developed unusual leaves in last winter.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My Siberian Jade trees

Unusual leaves

o

Crassula Obliqua f. monstrosa today.

o

Not a disease nor insect. Probably an environmental glitch.

o

jean001a, it is not an environmental glitch. Do you know russian? Read http://www.lapshin.org/science/leafy.htm
Unfortunately, I know English very bad because I have not other references.
My plant is healthy. It's growing under chinese luminescence lamp and it was very cold long time.

o

I know English very bad so I have not other references

o

My Crassula cooperi is blooming since May.

o

Looks very good! Lapshin's site is a great resource.

Keep the Jade growing, and keep an eye on those unusual leaves.

Josh

o

Thank you, Josh! I do that.
New leaves are growing more similar to usual Obliqua. It is a feature of polytomy.

o

Are you sure this is Obliqua? The leaves look to be Ovata.

Josh

o

Yes of course, Josh! It was usual Obliqua. It's placed on the right side of the photo №1. My Ovata is on the left. It looks so today and didn't lose its species. Only Obliqua became a monstrose,

o

There are normal leaves below and monstrous ones above.

o

Oh, I see.
I thought the Jade on the right in the first pic was a 'Crosby's Compact' because of the reddish underside of the leaves :-)

Josh

o

Some leaves are twisted, some look as Arborescens - wide, massive and juicy. But there are non glaucous, they have pure green colour.

o

My little 'Crosby's Compact' looks lowly

o

That 'Crosby's Compact' looks like a 'Hummel's Sunset'! :-)

Josh

o

Sorry, Josh! Rather it was 'Hummel's Sunset'.
Here's my 'Crosby's Compact'. When I wrote yesterday,
it was too late. So I messed up ))

o

My little Obliqua a year ago, in July 2013.

o

Aha, it makes much more sense now! :-) Nice obliqua!

I just pruned my obliqua again....and it is in recovery.

Josh

o

How's the air flow ? Any chance you can increase it with a room fan or something smaller for the area

o

If a "mutant" jade plant leaf is cut off and propagated, will the new plant retain the same characteristics?

o

Yooperlady, sometimes....but usually not.
In order to maintain the characteristics, it's usually best to propagate a tip-cutting as opposed to a leaf.

Josh

o

Good luck, Josh! Only my Obliqua became monstrous in a very short period of time. Winter came in November, I turned a Chinese fluorescent lamp from 7 am to 9-11 pm. Temperature at night was about +5 C often (from 0 to +7 C) and it was not above +15 C during the day (from +10 to +18 C). Only when watered, I wasn't freezing my plants at nights. In December, such leaves began to grow.
I have no fan and air conditioner. An open window and Siberian frosts are my air conditioner.
yooperlady, in May, I had to save my plants. Irrigation water was of poor quality. At that time I tore 2 lowermost leaves and put to root. Here is their first photo. Then, it turned out, I forgot to take pics. But you can take my word for it: one sprout had usual Obliqua leaves and another grew some tubular leaves.
Oksana.

o

But those leaves dead in the heat +38C recently ((

o

Josh, what means your hard growing for Crassulas? What temperatures, watering... I would compare with my conditions.
Thank you in advance.

o

Good morning, Oksana!
"Hard growing" usually means growing a plant with less water and nutrients, and often in hot sun.

Josh

o

Good night, Josh! )))
less water... lol And my hands reach themselves to water plants lol It is widely believed in Russia that Crassulas need watering often in summer. My plants are in stagnation in hot sun.
Hence, my conditions are not different from your ones: less water and nutrients, and a lot of artificial light instead of the sun.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here