Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Where can I buy succulent/cactus?

Posted by plant_junkie 6 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 28, 09 at 1:37

I am having a hard time finding places, online or not, that sell succulents/cacti. I am particularly interested in Agave and Rebutia. I have 4 Rebutia and 3 Agave and would like to be able to expand my collection. I figure my best route would be to buy online. Ive never bought plants online before so I dont know what to expect. Any help pointing me in the direction of a good online shop would be much appreciated.
Thank you
plant_junkie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Where can I buy succulent/cactus?

try this website ive never bought anything from them but they have a large selection and at great prices

Here is a link that might be useful: Arid Lands

o

PJ,

I've never ordered from him, but I can vouch that he's a great guy, an honest nursery man, and what a selection of Agaves!

Here is a link that might be useful: Starr Power

o

I have not had anything to do with them myself, but Miles' To Go and Mesa Garden have good reputation, even in Europe.

o

I second Miles, having been the beneficiary a number of times of his plants - you're not going to go wrong there.

o

Check out Cactus Mall.com . The is a large list of mail order cactus and succulent nurseries on there. Of course there's always Ebay.

o

If there are consistently good plants at good prices on Ebay, rather than the C&S sources previously cited, I'll eat my wool toque.

See the Aloe saponaria thread - compared with the good C&S nurseries, Ebay is fraught with disappointment and overcharging, IMHO. Of course there are some folks there who know what they're doing, and at a fair price too, but they're too few.

o

I can highly recommed Yucca Do Nursery in Texas (www.yuccado.com). They're currently having a summer sale.

o

I vote for all of them, I have purchased plants from each of them, all are ethical. Plants may be small for shipping purpose, but most will out grow the pot after the first year. Be sure to tell the dealer where you live and let them make a suggestions. The Huntington which will have the correct names, and documentations, has plants as well, most private nurseries, have things that the others don't is you want the unusual and rare. Be sure to ask for catalogues before you order, go on line and see what are the prices, educate yourself first before you buy, I agree with Jeff, also the plant names on Ebay plants are not always accurate. You can buy the same plant with three different names. but still it's the same plant just purchased with different names. I hope I made some sense. Jeff is so right. I hate Ebay. Crasulady2

o

Hmmmmm....I must be one of the lucky ones regarding Ebay. I have gotten most of my best plants from Ebay. Did I overpay for some? Probably but if you have to have it, you have to have it. I have also gotten some for a steal. My experience purchasing cacti from Ebay has been overwhelmingly positive and all of my major disappointments have come from so called reputable nurseries. Go figure.

o

craigslist.org!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here