Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
sedum in zone 10 full sun

Posted by taco_truck z10 Los Angeles (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 20, 10 at 2:09

Hi. I've been trying to grow sedum as ground cover, but I don't know if I just have the wrong variety or what, but I am not getting the explosive growth I've read about in these forums. I think they may be Sedum hispanicum minus from looking at pictures on the web. I got the starts from somebody who said they have theirs in part shade and moist soil in a pot. Mine are in the ground in full sun, so I've been giving them a lot of water (which drains instantly in the sandy soil) everyday to no avail. They look to me to be just cooking and dying off. I almost think I'm overwatering except one patch that gets shade a little earlier in the afternoon than the other patches does seem to be doing slightly better. Can anyone give me advice on how to get these guys going? Is my yard just too hot or did I just wait too late in the season to plant them? Is there a better low sedum variety I can use that's more suited for my zone? Thanks for any insight!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: sedum in zone 10 full sun

Most sedums are not that tolerant of our summers, but there are a few. Sedum rubrotinctum works pretty well as a groundcover in our climate. Try a Senecio instead

o

Do you realize that you answered your own question?

"they have theirs in part shade"
"Mine are in the ground in full sun
1.They look to me to be just cooking and dying off
2.one patch that gets shade a little earlier in the
afternoon than the other patches does seem to be doing
slightly better"

Move them into the shade and see what happens.

Nancy

o

I may be the wrong season for them as well, I have one that just refuses to grow for me, it grows in open run facing west and get filtered light. Sometimes they just need to get started in a pot, grow some healthy roots then planted out. Be patient. Norma

o

In central Texas, I grow mine in shade. Sedum Palmerii is a fairly tough species. It grows on hillsides but even there I protect it from noonday sun. It can deal with the dryness well. My other seedums burn up. I tried sedum hispanicum and I killed it in my fast draining soil and part shade. I was much more successfull in town where my soil was improved clay with lots of humous and incorporated drainage and part day of partial sunshine.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here