Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Save my succulent, please!

Posted by xtinuvielx none (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 3, 14 at 2:32

Hi! I haven't got much of a green thumb and I thought, ok succulents are great for me. However, 8 months in, it's starting to slump and I don't know how to save it!

It's winter here in Australia, and my plant is kept indoor in the office where there's sun by the window. Temperature in the room is a constant of 23 degrees celsius. I just tend to water it once a week but the soil is crusty/hardened/dry. I've never put fertiliser in it before.

How can I save it? Do I need to repot? What kind of soil should I use? If I need to fertilise, what type of fertilise? Please help me save this little guy. He used to stand tall and I'm a bit sad that he's slouchy. Thanks for any help I can get!

P/s photo attached.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Save my succulent, please!

I think it needs more light, if it's possible then you should invest in a bulb to stand over the plant..
I'm not an expert and I'm not sure if that's the solution and I don't know which bulb to use, but that's the most logical problem, not enough light.

o

I'm going to agree with Maxim, your plant is getting leggy and is searching for better light. A lightbulb would be appropriate, or a window with more hours of light per day( Here in the states it's a south or west facing one, but I don't know if that's flipped for you guys below the equator :P )

Otherwise he seems fine.. you might have to decapitate him though, because once a plant starts going leggy, it won't shrink back to 'normal' size. But hey, if you do that, you'll end up with more of these little buggers! :D

o

I'd also change out the mix if it's crusty hard. It may not be letting any water penetrate the center. Peet based mixes can dry out and become impermeable, later. You want an open lose mix. And yep more light would keep it form elongating in a quest for more.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here