Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paleopaque

Help! Astrophytums melting from the inside out, w/ red slime!!

paleopaque
10 years ago

Help!! I figured if anyone could help me figure this out it would be the fine horticulturalists of Gardenweb! So I've recently purchased several Astrophytum asterias cv. Hanazono plants from an eBay seller. They begin to root just fine (the are shipped freshly cut down from their grafting stock with a small piece of the grafting stock's vascular ring still intact which is where it roots from rather easily), but within several days, and upwards of two weeks in some instances, they begin to get soft and then collapse. While the outter skin is still green and firm, the inside is completely hollow and coated in bright reddish brown slime. Does anyone know if this is a disease? I contacted another buyer who had given this seller a neutral and they said the same exact thing happened to them (red slime and all), with the same type of plant (asterias cv. Hanazono). Incidentally, it has only been happening to the Hanazonos, although I have been buying many different cultivars from this same seller. Despite having purchase thousands of dollars worth of stuff from this seller, they have so far not been too helpful in resolving this. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Comments (2)