Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mark4321_gw

Cheap Alluaudia procera at HD. But will it grow here (Bay Area)?

mark4321_gw
9 years ago

I found Alluaudia procera at a good price at Home Depot in San Carlos, CA (25 miles South of San Francisco). It was $6 for two rooted cuttings. Some pots had as many as 4 initially, but only 2 "survivors".

I was happy that the plant was not spray-painted hot pink or fluorescent green. Both cuttings appear to have several inches of new growth. I tipped the plants out of the pot and saw plenty of roots. Hopefully they come from both cutting-derived plants. I strongly believe these should be grown as unique plants, and they will soon get their own pots, hopefully both in the ground soon, if possible...

I don't have the right spot for this plant, so hopefully a friend or family member can find a spot. This will mostly be vertical space.

My big question is whether the plant will survive in our climate. Is it warm enough, especially in winter? I used to live down the street from the Huntington Botanical Garden, where the plant is unbelievable. Their summer and winter high temperatures are about 10 degrees warmer, closer at night. I'm on the San Francisco Peninsula, about 25 miles South of San Francisco. No frost this winter, although the plant might go to someone who gets mild frost. Sunset zone 16, probably here, but only a few blocks from zone 17. A pretty sunny area. And zone 10.

Has anyone grown this plant successfully in the ground in the SF Bay Area? If so, where?

The picture linked at the botttom is from Balboa Park, San Diego. I was hoping to give a link to a picture from the Huntington, but Gardenweb automatically labels all links to several sites they deem competitors as "spam".

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:580968}}

Comments (5)