Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oldstumpy1

Morning Sunshine

This one has bloomed for ten days, thought you might enjoy.

Richard

Comments (10)

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    10 years ago

Richard, your flower and plant are beautiful but, you have to be more accommodating for our aging population, like me, regarding names.... please?

This post was edited by bikerdoc5968 on Sun, Jul 28, 13 at 8:00

• oldstumpy1 Long Island ny
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry
    I have to be l one of the worst here at identifying plants. I belong to that group you are referring too. Some times I cant remember where I was yesterday.
    I do believe this one is Nananthus Vittatus Caudiciform

Richard

• Beachplants
    10 years ago

Very nice and a few years old.

• hanzrobo
    10 years ago

Your plant looks great! I believe it's Aloinopsis rubrolineata; wonderful flowers - one of my favorites.

Did you raise it up yourself or did it come like that?

Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Ryan
    I've had this one a couple of years.it was one of very few
    that had a name. now I'm confused because it looks identical to both names.
    it has developed a fat little caudex and seems to only bloom with one flower.
    Richard

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

Dontchya love that plant based confusion.

• Beachplants
    10 years ago

Ryan may be correct, the real difference is in the seeds, flat round in Nananthus, egg-shape in Aloinopsis. The red ring on the base of the pedals more seen in Aloinopsis and they tend to be more spoon-shaped in the leaves, but having said that mine are much thinner and look more like Nananthus.

Why did you suggest it Ryan?

• cybunnies123
    10 years ago

I love that flower! I must find this plant...

• hanzrobo
    10 years ago

Hey guys! Sorry, should have gone into more detail before - rushing again.

Like Rian said, the red ring on the flower petals is a dead giveaway. Also, the leaves of A. rubrolineata are a dark, olive green and tongue-shaped with rounded edges, a bit rubbery to the touch. While the flower shape of Nananthus vittatus is similar to A. rubrolineata, it is missing that special red ring at the base of the petals. A. rubro flowers can be variable, even to a creamy yellow - but I've never seen any Nananthus bloom very far from yellow with some light striping. The leaves of Nananthus are generally more pointed, angled edges, smoother and stiffer, ranging between Emerald and Forest green.

Over the last few years I've seen Nananthus vittatus, AKA Nananthus transvaalensis, AKA Nananthus aloides, sold at the big box stores under the name Aloinopsis rubrolineata. I'm sure this has caused much confusion because the plants are different in almost every way. The only characteristics they share are a large taproot and similar flower shape.

I hope that helps:)

Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you everyone for the compliments and proper I D
    I appreciate it. I've been spending countless hour online trying to identify some of my plants and I still have over thirty to go.

Richard