Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dacocoa

Aloe aristata or Gasteraloe "Royal Highness"

Dacocoa Paradis
10 years ago

Hey, so I previously ID'd this plant on the forum as a Gasterloe Royal Highness. But last night, while researching Aloe's on Wikipedia, I found the Aloe aristata or "Torch Plant". After a few google image searches, I'm convinced this plant is an Aloe aristata and not Gasterloe. What do you guys think?

Comments (12)

• teengardener1888
    10 years ago

It is an aloe species

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

It looks more like gasteraloe "royal Highness" , I think. The Aloe aristata has much thinner many more numerous leaves with long terminal hair like soft spike on the ends of the leaves. There are many of these hybrids that use Aloe aristata as one of the parents. That is why your aloe is similar.

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

I think you need to check your previous post. One person thought it was Gasteraloe 'Royal Highness'. Two of us said we thought it was a cross Aloe aristata x Gasteria, (making it xGasteraloe). See link below to your post.

This plant (yours) has been in the trade a long while. It has never been named, that I know. If it were a pure Aloe aristata, it would have wispy ends to all the leaves, as in pic below (click for larger view):
    {{gwi:581343}}

The other cross mentioned ('Royal Highness'), has been seen listed as xGasterhaworthia, xGasterworthia, & xGasteraloe. That is not your plant.

So, conclusion...I believe your plant is an xGasteraloe (Aloe aristata x Gasteria sp). Some say Gasteria batesiana was used, but no one seems to know for sure.

Forgot...link to one 'Royal Highness'. See how it has a softer look-edges, etc.
    http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Cudabare/media/cactus%20kids/nicecoloredpup.jpg.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Your previous post for ID on this

This post was edited by rosemariero on Fri, Jul 12, 13 at 10:58

• Dacocoa Paradis
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok, are you rude for a reason? I think I was starting another discussion so it'd be at the top of new forums and more people could see it and weigh in on the discussion. But thanks. Your only useful info was your "So, conclusion...I believe your plant is an xGasteraloe (Aloe aristata x Gasteria sp). Some say Gasteria batesiana was used, but no one seems to know for sure." Statement so thank you for that.

• teengardener1888
    10 years ago

Listen Dacocoa, if I know one thing about rosmaiero, is that he would never even attemp to be rude. You might want to rethink what you said and then apologize. He is a very kind person and if you are going to be rude you dont deserve advice. Think things over and try not to give an angry comment to this................................im simply defending friends.

• teengardener1888
    10 years ago

I can see you are a relatively new member of gardenweb. Please dont lash out on people like that. Im sorry if i sounded rude bt I will take back nothing

• Colleen E
    10 years ago

It doesn't look like a true Aloe aristata to me. And yes, Rosemarie would absolutely never intend to be rude. If you knew her, you'd know that to be true. She goes out of her way to help people ID plants, and she certainly doesn't have to.

• Dacocoa Paradis
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I do apologize. I really do, I had just gotten bad news and was pretty upset. I'm not excusing my post's lash out, I know I was completely out of line. I really did appreciate your help rosemarier, and I would look forward to your help in the future. Teengardener1888, I've always liked the info you've given on this site, even before I was a member. So I'm sorry I'm just as sorry to you, as If I had lashed out on you. Please forgive me guys. I've visited this site for only a year, and just joined. I cherish the resources I've gained since joining. Again, I'm terribly sorry.

• teengardener1888
    10 years ago

I certainly forgive you, and I was never angry at all. Dont feel bad Dracocoa, I have caused arguments too in the past.

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

Whoa! I just found your response on my cell phone & had my mouth hanging at the first part of me being rude. Yikes! Had to come to my laptop to respond (with ALL my fingers typing). Was going to say "why do I bother trying to help, gathering information", etc. ?

Glad I didn't see it till after more comments/responses were made. I was really starting to wonder why I would give up my time, my knowledge, my photos, my research for those who don't appreciate it. Yes, I'm on a rant here.

Rhamel & Colleen, thank you for your support & comments. I am calming down now. I am glad you apologized, Dacocoa. Sorry you received bad news. I tried to point out that the previous post did not identify your plant as 'Royal Highness'. Other IDs were given. I tried to give you information to support what I was trying to say. Maybe I should've inserted some happy faces in there somewhere. I was trying to hurry with my response of a lot of information, so I could get back to my household chores.

So, in conclusion... Peace, out!

• Dacocoa Paradis
    Original Author
    10 years ago

In the biggest conclusion,I'm most sorry, I should've just gave more thought to it before typing the rude reply. And paid more attention to my first post to ID the plant. I really did and do appreciate your help, and I hope to get more information in the future if needed.

• teengardener1888
    10 years ago

Alls well ends well