Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Have You Seen This?

Posted by bikerdoc5968 6 SE MI (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 22, 14 at 8:55

For years I used this mix for all of my plants. I used to purchase it by the case. For me it was better than sliced white bread! As with anything else, times and things change and well, I have been unable to find this or anything similar. Doing search finds that Miracle Gro supposedly makes this product, now and it is listed on their website. I have written their customer center and they are baffled that it appears on their site because no one has ever heard of it!!!!

I did find this posting but don't know its reference:

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/azgard/msg1216290031207.html

Contrary to what one would think, this is a wood particle product. It never compacts, water seems to run through quickly and it lasts for several years! You may barely appreciate what it looks like through the clear area at the lower end of the bag. So my question is, if anyone out there happens to see something similar, might be in a different container/bag, send me an email, please.

Howard

This post was edited by bikerdoc5968 on Tue, Jul 22, 14 at 9:00

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Have You Seen This?

Lol, I don't know if there is unintentional irony here.... But I wonder if they've changed their packaging?

-Ming

o

How would last year's black mulch work? I purchased some and never got to use it all and when I opened the bag, it was composted to a nice back easy draining soil. It was hardwood black died mulch. So signs of wood product was found. But sorry I can't help you. I'll keep my eyes open.
Stush

o

Yes! I found it ONCE, several years ago! It was great! Went back & could find no more! :( Where did you find it, Howard?

o

This package is the last one I have from more than 30 years ago. I used to purchase it, as I said, by the case; 24 bags per case. I only came in this size container. For the life of me, can't recall where I bought it, sorry. I wish I could find it again)-:

o

Howard, I can't say I've seen this interesting package either but now I'll start my search. Sounds like it could help out as far as fast draining soil mix.
Its funny that it was joined to the miracle gro ad and they were unaware of its existence, or maybe you spoke to the wrong department.

It kinda looks like a box of "Sugar Pops" Cereal lol..

Greg

o

I noticed scottsbrands.com sells a cactus mix by that name. It contains compost, sand, perlite, pumice. The package is different.

This post was edited by emee on Sat, Jul 26, 14 at 13:53

o

But that bag couldn't possibly be in use now in the US or in Canada. Howard, how old do you think that one is?

o

No of course not... that bag is probably 35 years old. I found it buried in a box with other plant paraphernalia; didn't know I had any left... saving it as a memento.

As for the Scotts Brand product, that is what I found last year and NO BODY in their customer center even know it was their product. Yet even today their website has the product listed/pictured (see link).

Here is a link that might be useful: Black Magic Cactus Mix

o

I've bought that before in Arizona, Howard, for plants that I've PIGed. If I used it for potted plants, I'd have sieved it.

o

Ok, gang I "live-chatted" with a supposed human named Andera of the Scotts Company and attempted to buy some; she/he said the company has discontinued it . I asked why, if that was the case, was it still advertised on their website and person said she/he would alert the powers that be and have it removed. I went on to ask if they actually made this mix themselves or if they were only a distributor, but I was met with silence and person cut off our chat. The mystery deepens...

o

Julie, Andrea is the only one on live chat for the company because that is the same person with whom I chatted earlier and was told the same thing to the word... What I can't believe is this product is still on their website for over a year and no one has addressed the issue!!!!

o

If we could get them to tell us if they make it themselves or are only a distributor that would perhaps let us track it to another company. hmmmn...

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 26, 14 at 16:31

I remember those bags from childhood. Old, old company. MG likely bought it out to eliminate a competitor.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here