Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dorianscale3

What does this mean?

dorianscale3
10 years ago

I was hoping someone would be able to diagnose the cause of my leaves shriveling up like this. The leaf on the bottom left has started to go too. Is is too much/ to little water? Too much sun/heat? Normal growth? Perhaps it's not a summer (Zone 6a) grower?

I usually lose about 1-2 per week and they are always the bottom most leaves.

Any help is much appreciated. (I believe the plant (Pachyveria glauca?) is etiolated where I've taken the picture, but since then the new growth is much better.)

Thanks.
-Nick

Comments (7)

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

It is natural for lower leaves to desiccate & drop off, but could be it wants more water. I have the same thing going on here, but then, mine are neglected~so I expect this to happen. Good to hear your newer growth is more compact. =) Says you've given it better light/growing conditions.

• dorianscale3
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, rosemariero! That's what I was leaning towards, especially since I've been extra cautious about overwatering. I think I'm finally understanding that these guys prefer soakings once week rather than the occasional light water and misting.

Yeah, they used to be inside under a light, but since I've moved them outside, and stopped watching them grow ever minute of the day, I think they (and I) are much happier.

Could you possibly confirm my ID on the plant?

Thanks.
    -Nick

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

Can you post a pic of the whole plant, Nick? From this view, it could be a Pachy cross, but I need another look-see please. Curious, do you recall where you got the plant?

• dorianscale3
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I actually got the plant at my local farmers' market...I didn't know much about succulents at the time and bought it for it's aesthetics, assuming that it was a pretty common variety. I believe the other two are Aeonium "Kiwi" and Senecio serpens.

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

I believe you have the IDs of the other 2 correctly.

I don't think this is an xPachyveria glauca. It does look like a cross/intergeneric, and Pachyphytum is in the mix. The lighter colored tip of leaf is an indicator of that genus for me, as well as leaf pattern. To get a positive ID, I believe you'll need to wait for its flowers. Continue to treat it as any Pachy/Grapto/Sedum and it will flourish.

It's also possible the person selling it grew it from a cross of 2 plants in their garden. Blooms will help narrow down its identity. =)

• dorianscale3
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the insight...that makes sense. I'll follow up with a photo when it blooms.

Best,
    Nick

• kateanne
    10 years ago

I have one like that, except it was given to me and is kind of branching and tree like, almost like a jade structurally, but coloring and leaf shape like a Pachyveria glauca. The lower leaves (and occasionally a younger one) have been shrivelling tip first, at least one a day. I thought maybe too much water, it got rain a few times unintentionally. So I let it dry out, still no good. I ended up cutting the top off one branch to repot to see if I can save it that way.