Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Animal eating my plants

Posted by veggie_girl 6 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 28, 14 at 9:13

I've been having a problem with something eating my plants. Each time this happens at night. This last time, I put a cutting in a pot and the next day found it on the ground with bites taken out of it and found a pad taken from another plant with a bite.

They have been drying out for a couple of days so that I can try again. This time I will bring them in at night. I hope they make it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Animal eating my plants

I would cover it with chicken wire.

o

I had this same problem a few years back. My solution was to build a cage around the plants that were being attacked which was all of my Jade plants. It is a bit of a pain but I lost too many plants leaving them out in the open.

Another option is if you have a deck or somewhere that is raised up and blocked off to where the animal can get too. I never did find out exactly what was eating my plants but I gave up trying to catch it and just built a cage to keep my plants safe.

This post was edited by americangolden on Mon, Jul 28, 14 at 18:19

o

Weird thing is, it's the ones on the second story balcony that are getting attacked, so it's something that can climb. Since this happened I've been bringing all the ones out there in each night and out in the morning. I have to figure out another solution. So a cage huh, how did you do that?

I just hope the cutting on the right is not too damaged to be able to root now.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here