Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What to do with spent flowers?

Posted by foureleven5 zone3-5 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 29, 10 at 9:25

I have a variety of succulents outside.
Some get a long stem on them that flower
(usually on the ends).
After they flower the plant seems to be in distress.
Can I cut these stems and reroot them?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What to do with spent flowers?

A picture is worth a thousand words, but if I understand you correctly (you want to try to root flower stalks/stems and turn them into plants) the answer is almost always not - there are only a few plants that grow offsets/plantlets on their flower stalk.

o

Ok I would love to post a pic, but it's been awhile since I posted on here. How do I do it? To confusing reading about 'how to'.
Thank you for your interest. I do have pics of these plants.

o

Dead head them, like you would a pansy. It then has the strength and message that you don't want those seeds to develope, and perhaps have another flowering. Not all cactus do this, Echinopsis is one that I can think of. Some only flower once a year, Jeff gave you excellent instructions do what he says. Norma

o

Grab the HTML code (the a href.... stuff) from your photo-hosting site and post it in the body of your message - you should be able to see the picture when you hit preview. For more explicit instructions, do a search at Garden Web - somewhere here is a post called 'Posting Pictures'.

o

This one needs the most help.
It's getting leggy, and not looking so well.

Here is a link that might be useful: succulents

o
Blue succulent

Love my blue ones. Now you see the shoots coming up?
Can these be trimmed and rooted?
Or just cut them off?
ty
I am trying to post pictures, be patient, once I get it
I'll be set. We will see if this worked.

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/photo/2235810190104291856mnLzSc?vhost=home-and-garden

Here is a link that might be useful: Blue succulent

o

Cut them off and toss them, you really don't want the energy of the plant trying to produce fertile seeds. The plant will start growing after the flowers come off if they are summer growers. Pansy is a good example of this, you must dead head them to get longer stems, and larger flowers and the plant will have the energy to produce more flowers. There there may be exceptions. (Disclamer) Norma

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here