Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sd2102

Watering rooted gollum jade cuttings

sd2102 (8b PNW)
10 years ago

I have 3 gollum jade cuttings that I have been rooting since the end of May. So far they seem to be doing alright, and seem to be getting more sturdy and stable in their pot (so I assume the root system is growing- I don't want to pick them up to check).

For the past few weeks, each of the cuttings has been losing a couple of leaves a week. They shrivel up while still attached, and then drop off. There is new growth as well.

I assume the leaf loss is not a sign that things are going badly, but I'm wondering if I should step up the watering. The cuttings are inside my apartment and get a decent amount of sun. They seem to be tolerating the hot, humid DC weather ok (during the day there is no a/c on so it's quite warm in the apartment).

Should I be watering them as I would normally water a succulent, or continue to water them sparingly to avoid rot?

Comments (24)

• dorianscale3
    10 years ago

It shouldn't hurt the plant if you pick them up to check for roots. If you planted them in May, the root system should be pretty established by now, so I would say a good watering once per week should be good. Your plants do seem happy, perhaps they'd like a little bit more water to be the happiest.

Also, are the cuttings only in perlite, or is there additional potting soil beneath your top layer? If it's just perlite, I would consider moving the cuttings, provided that they have strong root systems, to a more nutrient-rich soil that's supplemented with perlite (50:50).

Regardless, best of luck.
    -Nick

• sd2102 (8b PNW)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

They're in a mix of perlite & cactus/succulent soil- about 50/50. That's the best I can do right now.

I'll start giving them more water and see how they respond.

Thanks for the advice!

• oldun2
    10 years ago

Hi sd2102

I had a cutting about 15 years ago and this is what it looks like now, I use a plant Moisture Meter if it says dry I water it, check about every three day.

The short cut below is the sort of thing I mean.

You can do a plant more harm giving it too much water, then not enough.

Last year it got a first prize, and best in show at a local gardening show

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bosmere-K176-Moisture-Meter-Green/dp/B000WLLDIU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1374076230&sr=8-1&keywords=plant+water+meter#productDescription

• dorianscale3
    10 years ago

Wow, that's a gorgeous specimen!

• sd2102 (8b PNW)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That looks great! Once it gets bigger I'll have to figure out how to prune it to try to get it to eventually look like that (assuming it lasts that long).

I've been watering it every 3-4 days for the past few weeks (the soil has been completely dry each time I checked), but I think I've been giving it maybe half a cup of water each time. I just gave it a thorough watering and let the water drain out- I'm hoping that wasn't over doing it.

• sradleye
    10 years ago

I think you should be fine to commence regular waterings. my Gollum has been very forgiving for me. I did have in poor draining soil and more than likely over watering. Ive since separated the four stems, put in small porous pots with well draining soil and hacked it way back. trying to get fat trunks like old-n!

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Yes, regular watering now.

Old-n, your 'Gollum' is incredible
    Thanks for sharing,

Josh

• sd2102 (8b PNW)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, after a proper watering the plant is now losing leaves without them shriveling. And today many of the leaves seem to be less green- moving towards yellow.

I don't think drainage is an issue. When I checked the plant yesterday (one day after watering it), the top two inches of the soil was completely dry. It was slightly damp closer to the bottom (well below the roots), but today it is completely dry all the way down.

Any ideas on what I might have done wrong? It's also incredibly hot here in DC. The plants are indoors, without any a/c during the day. Everything I've read suggests that yellowing leaves means overwatering, but is it possible they need more water because of the temperature?

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

Yes, it really is spectacular, thanks for posting.

10 years ago

SD,
    yellow leaves dropping is a strong indication of too much water. If your plant is semi-dormant because of the heat (95F or higher for a solid stretch of days), it will not be using much water - and, thus, will shed leaves to reduce moisture in the plant. I doubt it's been that hot in your house, though.

I would guess that the plant is simply adjusting, but I could be wrong.

Plants will shed unsupportable foliage in lower light conditions, as well.

Josh

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    10 years ago

And now, particularly during humid days and high temps, is when this (and many other plants) do the least they can, so expecting growth now during summer is overly hopeful. Let them be with minimal water until it cools. You'll start seeing growth in September, I reckon.

• sd2102 (8b PNW)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I bet it's the heat that's doing them in. It has been unbearably hot the past week. I did water them since the soil was completely dry (and they did not respond well), but I'll leave them alone for a bit and hope they bounce back now that the weather is cooling down a bit.

Thanks for all the advice!

10 years ago

Temps here are in the high 90F's and low 100F's for, well, the past two months more or less. And yet I'm getting growth flushes on all my Crassula. So I wouldn't necessarily attribute this to heat, since my Jades only do the 'slow down' for about two weeks out of the Summer (typically right around the Solstice).

If your plants get too dry (regardless of actual heat), roots will die. Then, when you water, the possibility of rot. And, obviously, no roots to take up that water.

Josh

10 years ago

Josh,

It's the heat and humidity that does in the growing cycle to an ebb.

10 years ago

We've had an extra humid Summer, to boot ;-)

Josh

• sd2102 (8b PNW)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, they did not respond well both times I watered them. One of the 3 cuttings seems to be struggling to stay alive. I assume they are dormant because of the awful heat and humidity so I am leaving them alone for the time being. I hope there is no rot- but I'm nervous to pull them up.

Any suggestions on what to look for to resume watering?

10 years ago

September and lower humidity - they grow best when it's not too hot and not too cold.

10 years ago

I think they'll lose roots if watered too sparingly.

Might be prudent to check those roots now, before embarking on a particular course of action. The mix looks quite porous (good), and in a clay pot ought to be drying out well within a week, regardless of humidity.

Josh

• sd2102 (8b PNW)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm definitely unsure of what to do, but I appreciate all the advice.

I guess I'll hold off on watering them until I get some idea that they might need water. Or at least go back to giving them little water occasionally instead of a proper watering.

10 years ago

If the leaves feel soft, they need water.
    Waiting that long, of course, puts stress on the plant and, again, compromises roots.

Josh

• sd2102 (8b PNW)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I know, they're just giving confusing signals. Some of the leaves just drop off (even though they look healthy), and some of them shrivel up and drop off.

The leaves don't feel soft. And there is evidence of new growth.

At this point they've lost about half their leaves.

10 years ago

Have you fertilized at all?
    Perhaps a 1/8 - 1/4 strength dose would help them replace lost foliage. If there is new growth, I wouldn't hesitate.

Josh

• sd2102 (8b PNW)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I haven't fertilized them. They're really doing quite poorly. I've been out of town but see that while I've been gone they've continued to lose leaves- both dropping them and having them shrivel up. And there is definitely also new growth.

I've tried watering them, not watering them, watering them a little. Not really sure what's going on. I can wait a few days and give them some fertilizer if you think that won't be too much for them.

10 years ago

I'm worried that they're too dry, crazy as that sounds...so let's hold off on the fertilizing until you can post an update pic. I'd feel much better offering advice with an image of the plants before me.

Josh

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville