Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ukislav

Cactus branchtops shriveling, fading, wrinkling, softing

ukislav
10 years ago

Hi everybody!

From last moving of cactus from the apartment to the balcony, something happened with the cactus. Branchtops have begun to fade and shrivel. Body of branchtops is wrinkled, soft, as if they were dehydrated.

Upon the recommendation of saleswomen cactus are watered every three weeks during the summer, and every month during the rest of the year. Last change of cup we did last year, immediately after the moving to the balcony and then cactus grow about 10 centimeters over the summer. Everything was fine.

Before last taking out (two weeks ago) cactus was two months without water (to make it easier to transport so probably not overwatered). After moving to the balcony we watered cactus with supplements ...

We had 7-8 indoor-balcony or balcony-indoor moving (Spring-Fall), and there were no problems.

After this problem I read a book about the cactus where the author says that at winter we do not need to water cactus, and in the summer once or twice a week. So we watered cactus one week after moving out and watering cactus. New week passed. There is no change for the better. I marked boundary with marker between wrinkled tops and healthy parts. The soft part is not expanding. But it seems to me that the tops are more and more shriveling, fading, wrinkling and softing. ;(

Any idea what could it be and how to treat it? Hope solution does not include cutting edges!
Thanks

Cactus
{{gwi:582031}}

Healthy and shriveled part with marker
{{gwi:582032}}

Shriveled branchtop
{{gwi:582034}}

This post was edited by ukislav on Tue, Jul 16, 13 at 9:54

Comments (8)

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    10 years ago

Frist, it is not a cactus but a succulent, Euphorbia. Could be dehydration or too much sun too fast....wait to see what others say.

• kaktuskris
    10 years ago

I say not enough water for this time of year...When you water, you must water thoroughly, so the soil is completely saturated...

I have the same plant, possibly E. ingens or E. ammak, hard to be certain, as some of the columnar Euphorbia are very similar. Mine is less than a meter high, though, and I have not had a similar problem. If you have moved it from indoors to a balcony, it would require more water now than when it was indoors.

Christopher

• oldun2
    10 years ago

More Water

• ukislav
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all for your opinions.

It seems to bee dehydration as I also suspect by look of the tops.

But not dehydration caused by little water but caused with underground problems.

I really would like not to cut anything, but maybe that is the only solution (unless some expert told otherwise and give solution).

When I dig dirt I found open wounds, and rotten parts above it :(

{{gwi:582036}}

1. Healty overground part
    2. Rotten over-/under-ground part
    3. Healty underground part
    4. Big worm I found in dirt (english is not my native language so some atributes or names are not correctly choosen; two years before saleswomen told me that worm isn't problem for plants, it cultivates dirt)
    5. small, fast, multileg bug found in dirt
    -> open wounds

{{gwi:582037}}

So deyidration of branchtops is caused by dameged underground body. It cannot supply enough water and minerals through healty part of body to whole suculent, and most distant parts are suffering.

1. what caused this (bacteria, warm, bug)?
    2. how to stop for happening again (new soil, treat with pesticide...)?
    3. is there any option not to cut it but heal it?
    4. if no, can I save it in one part (cut it, put 5 days on opet air to develop cover on cutted part) or is it to big and I need to cut it in few parts?

This post was edited by ukislav on Thu, Jul 18, 13 at 3:25

• CactusBoss
    10 years ago

Yeah, I would cut it. Cut it until you see absolutely no brown what so ever. Also, you may want to change the soil to a soil with better drainage.

• ukislav
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you CactusBoss,

soil is allready for suculents, and we put terracota decorative/drain balls in soil for better drainage.

But soil may be contaminated, so if I do not get other explanation should be replaced with new one for preventive purpose.

• CactusBoss
    10 years ago

Actually, before you cut check to see if the brown part is squishy. If not then it should be fine. If it's squishy than it's rot.

• CactusBoss
    10 years ago

Actually, before you cut check to see if the brown part is squishy. If not then it should be fine. If it's squishy than it's rot.