Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
emee_gw

adromischus cristatus "key lime pie"

emee
9 years ago

I have had a couple leaves fall off this plant. Should I let them dry a few days before placing them in soil? I've been reading about the plant & see where it will propagate from a leaf but can't find anything specific about letting it dry first. Thanks.

Comments (10)

• nomen_nudum
    9 years ago

Cristatus is a bit faster than most Adros to develope cloned seconds from but could be kind of slow before you see a couple leaves off from a single leaf to pot.

I usually just let them lay on the surface of the same pot and let them do there thing for a month before potting them in or lettting them trun to Adro food for the more natural feeding for an Adro. Other times I'll toss Adro leaves in an empty drip tray vented by a brezzy window for some roots to develope then they go into a catch all pot for usuall misting to deep watering depending on time of year.

A single leaf from any Adro will root very quickly even if the fell leaf fell off from an outside growing one at the right times of year could root as fast as three to four days, in the same line rooting is all any Adro does fast.

• emee
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for your help.

• ubcarl
    8 years ago

My key lime pie plants have become so tall in their pot they are about to tip over. What do they want me to do for them?

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    8 years ago

While most succulents grow very tall because of lack of light, some just grow tall.
    Adromiscus has tendency to grow taller, but how tall is your plant?
    Do you have photo?

• ubcarl
    8 years ago

• ubcarl
    8 years ago

The brown stalks are 4 plus inches! They only get indoor lamp light.

• nomen_nudum
    8 years ago

" Ohhh I see..... Well for starters it certainly lacks the brightness it deserves and has been lacking it's ideal brightness for a while.

In the out side world they do need some summer high UV heat protection . Yours is very etiolated. I'd just cut the long stringy stuff away set it inside the window sill with a bug screen down and call it a learning experiences, or you could skip the bug screen if you have Low-E window(s).

For whats it's worth, I'm referencing the dark curtains behind it Sorry but you can't trick these in that way they can feel the sun and it's heat behind them. It's just wrong,very wrong.

A plastic pot inside is okay I guess I am 100 % certain a plastic pot wouldn't do as well outside here. The soil looks questionable to me.

• ubcarl
    8 years ago

What do you mean by a bug screen. The regular screen in a window? My house gets no direct sunlight. Really!! And I put the plant in this place for the photo only. Putting the pot out in the sunshine is too intense for it? Could it go under the house overhang and get indirect light? The potting soil is primarily as it came form the florist (it was a gift after surgery). The original pot was a very large, heavy clay one. I had separated out to other pots for gifts last month to friends and so this smaller plastic pot for mine here.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

It really needs more light than just indoor lamp. It shows on all the new growth - it is pale green, and the stalks are really stretching looking for more light. It would do well outdoors, perhaps morning sun and shaded during hottest part of day, maybe by other plants (but not deep shade). Even partial shade outdoors is better light than lamp indoors.

Where are you located?

They grow all those reddish fuzzy roots all over the stems, so that isn't a problem.
    Very interesting lower/fuzzy part, I googled images but didn't see any that large. How did you separate ones you gifted?
    The soil is more than likely peat with little perlite in it (the white chunks). It prefers well draining mix, like most succulents.

• nomen_nudum
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

What do you mean by a bug screen. The regular screen in a window? Yes. Your feed back is correct it would still need outside transitioning into a brighter warmer outside sun. Difficult to say if it'll fair better under a house eve. They have a reasonable UV heat limit of 8 -9 before odd things start to happen to them, transitioning yours into a UV heat situation like this could be a bit more trying for yours and take longer in the midst of Summer.