Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hydro Sans

Posted by whip1 z5 ne Ohio (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 22, 12 at 9:56

A leaf was broken off of on of my Sansiveria. I remember Pirate Girl saying that she rooted a leaf in water, so I figured I'd give it a try.
Photobucket
A few months later,
Photobucket
View from below,
Photobucket

I'll let you know how it does once I pot it into the gritty mix.

Rob

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hydro Sans

Hey Rob,

Nice work you've done there. Isn't it amazing how easily & well this works? It's like the plant is just programmed to grow, no matter what. (Nice stripe & seeming variegation, does it have an ID?)

o

• Posted by whip1 z5 ne Ohio (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 22, 12 at 11:21

Thank you. It was pretty easy. No ID for this plant. It was bought at IKEA for about $2.00 maybe 10 years ago. Here's what it looks like with another plant I split from it.
Photobucket

Let me know if your interested. I might have a cutting I can send you.

o

• Posted by Ron4310 6B West Kelowna BC (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 22, 12 at 11:53

Usually if a variegated Sans is started from a leaf it will will no be variegated as a plant. It will be all green.

o

whip1,
I'm not sure if to go WOW because you only paid $2 (about) for your Sans or go WOW because it's gorgeous!

Planto

o

Sun, Jul 22, 12 at 12:30

Planto,
it was a lot smaller than that when I bought it. I didn't even know IKEA had plants. Worth a look if you're ever by one.

Ron,
I've heard that about the variegation. Time will tell.

Rob

o

Rob,
Our closest IKEA is a little over two hours away. I'm really itchin' to go there though. Now that I've seen your Sans, I'll have to!

Planto

o

Rob,

Good job!

It looks like S. trifasciata f. variegata. What do you think?

o

Mon, Jul 23, 12 at 21:50

Jeff,
That's what I've always thought, but people smarter than me have said they don't think it is. The leaves that grow in full sun look different than the ones that grow in shade, so it's hard to tell.

o

Rob,

That quality shouldn't be used for determining what it is, as that quality's almost always true for almost any succulent plant - wild differences show themselves in sun- versus shade-grown plants. I hope you improve on my ID.

o

Hey Rob,

Kind of you to offer a cutting thanks. Tho' I appreciate the offer, I'll pass w/ thanks pls., I'm not a fan of the yellow stripe & I don't have any in my collection (at least 10-12 different Sans).

I was admiring that vertical stripe on the leaf you water rooted, that's not an everyday look & that to me looks quite variegated (which the regular yellow outer stripe does not).

But again, thanks much for offering & keep up the fun experiment.

Cactus McHarris is too modest to say he's grown more than a few Sans. in his time, I've benefited from some of his as well. I'd keep is ID in the back of my head, just in case.

o
RE: Hydro Sans - sorry, typo

Ooops, sorry, that should read 'I'd keep his ID in the back of my head'.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here